ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 Recruits You Got Excited For (past 25 years)

PhilaPhans

Best Poster Ever!
Apr 23, 2005
Gibbstown, NJ
To continue the theme ...

Over the past 25 years, who are the top 5 recruits you were excited for when they signed on to play at RU?

Admittedly, I've only followed for 15 years:

1.) Anthony Davis
2.) Savon Huggins
3.) Manny Abreu
4.) DC Jefferson
5.) Brian Toal ... wait a second ... never mind. Brandon Coleman.

Of course I'm leaving out a ton of guys like Darius Hamilton, Logan Ryan, the QBs, etc.

Huggins and Savage were easily 1a and 1b for me...idk about the rest.

There were a lot who stick out, but these 5 meant the most to me in basically this order:

Rikki Cook
Savage
Berkely Hutchinson
Dwayne Jones
Anthony Davis

This post was edited on 3/19 6:17 PM by Jonas Grumby

1.Anthony Davis
2.Antwan Lowery
3.Tom Savage
4.Savon Huggins
5.Darius Hamilton

Honorable mention: Logan Ryan, DC Jefferson, Brandon Coleman, Jermey Deering, Miles Shuler

I think people who leave Huggins off are fooling themsevlves

Huggins
Hamilton
Shuler
Davis
Carroo

Admittedly I'm only a close follower for 10 years not 25

surprised no one mentioned miles shuler.

i was really high on him with the comparisons to desean jackson, etc. he was heavily recruited too till the end.

Berkley (sp) Hutchinson.(sp)...boy I butchered that name....early Schiano years. 4 star LB that chose to stay home. A college football total bust. Before that I was really starting to question the whole recruiting system. After that...and that infamous 4 star OL from NJ...Art Forst...I basically decided to can most of it.

Davis
Huggins
Savage
Carroo
Nova- yes because we needed a QB because Savage transferred. It was either Nova or Tanner McEvoy ( now at Wisconsin)

Jeremy Zuttah, he helped improve a horrible offensive line. Davis and Savage too.
This post was edited on 3/22 8:01 PM by shields

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned The Rocket. He was a pretty big recruit, at the time. The Schiano-copter was in full effect, too .. flying down (and landing) on his practice field, if I do recall.

Unfortunately, we wound up getting more mileage out of that chopper than we did the Rocket himself.

Any list that doesn't contain Rikki Cook is incomplete. Hutch , Huggins , Savage and Hamilton.

1. Huggins
2. Savage
3. Hamilton
4. Davis
5. Hutchinson

6. I will say the bball recruit I was most excited about was Waliyy Dixon - thought we were going to be a top 10 team when we got him.....little did I now where we would be 20+ years with bball since then....little did I know.

I only really started paying attention in 2005 when I was a freshman, none of my family cares about college football.

1. Huggins
2. Anthony Davis
3. Savage
4. Antwan Lowery
5. Eric Legrand (still remember his recuitment, thought he would be an All American Linebacker)
This post was edited on 3/20 7:39 AM by Rokodesh

My top 5.

1. Rikki Cook (legitimized Schiano immediately)
2. Hamilton
3. Huggins
4. K. Young
5. A. Davis

Also, D. Williams was in the mix.

Originally posted by mikebal9:
1. Anthony Davis
2. Darius Hamilton
3. Tom Savage
4. Savon Huggins
5. Manny Abreu
That looks about right to me.

For some reason, the first name that came to mind was one who got away during the early Schiano days -- Bryan Pata.

Seemed like we were close on him--felt he would be a game changer on the field and for recruiting. Liked him personally, as well, from what I read about him.

Sad story -- Was murdered during his 4th season at Miami.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Pata

Since 25 years takes us back to 1990,let's not forget when Brian Fortay came home from Miami.Had great expectations for that young man. Came through for RU in the VTech game in '92.

Originally posted by BeantownKnight:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned The Rocket.
LOL. I haven't heard many Rocket jokes in a while on this board.

And for others that mentioned Cook, that was before my following of Rutgers. I'm sure he would have been on the list for how big of a recruit he was during a time that we, well, sucked.

Originally posted by beaced:
Since 25 years takes us back to 1990,let's not forget when Brian Fortay came home from Miami.Had great expectations for that young man. Came through for RU in the VTech game in '92.
Very true - that was big.

1 - Huggins
2 - Savage
3 - Davis
4 - Hamilton
5 - tie among a number of guys like LC, Britt, Sanu, Rettig, Nova, Ford, DC, Lowery, Abreu ...

This post was edited on 3/20 1:15 PM by PhDKnight

1> Malik Jackson
2> A. D.
3> Savon
4> Hamilton
5> Brian Sheridan

1. Savage
2. Savage
3. Savage
4. Savage
5. A. Davis

Savage was a blue chip player GS let down.

cool.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Saint Puppy:

Originally posted by beaced:
Very true - that was big.
+1

This and somebody had Brian Sheridan on their 5. Agree. I remember reading his name in the Ledger article about commitment list for that year and thinking......nice.! We got a good one!
cool.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT