ADVERTISEMENT

Top Freshman in B10 - Gavin @ #6

I'm taking Gavin over Mackenzie...time will tell but I like gg's game more. Would have liked to see him at Rutgers but feel like his game is more suitable for a slower pace than I envision RU playing this year..
Haven't seen any of these other guys play except for Gabe cupps, he was on ESPN a few times. He's pretty good but given the opportunities he will have, I wouldn't be surprised if Gavin wins b10 freshman of the year..

RU fans still don't quite digest or understand how skilled and talented Griffiths is, in terms of being an overall better offensive player.....its not just elite or quicker shooting from 3, with effectiveness, it's off the bounce and the impact he will have as a 6'7 SG, becomes a matchup problem teams will have to focus on.

Having this type of player at 26 to 30 MPG in 2023-24, unlocks the true potential gains in 2024-25. It will be worth every minute he plays this year, by creating minutes now and clearing the deck for that to happen.

I'll take the under
Can't say that I agree with Hawk on much,but Gavin will most probably be at Rutgers 3 years and with the departure of Cam could lead the team in scoring,but most probably will be along with Cliff and perhaps Hyatt at 13-14 ppg and 28 mpg.

Reactions: needmorecowbell
Three of top nine are MSU players. Three impact freshmen on the same team? I doubt it.

Pretty sure people are penciling Dylan, Ace and Lathan as starters for next year if I'm not mistaken.

You raise a good point though - people are quick to talk about how "disappointing" other HCs/teams are (Michigan, Duke) when they don't win it all with multiple impact freshman/NBA picks.
The response if we falter with 2 lottery picks will be interesting.

Not relevant, he's here a minimum of 3 years.

Based on what?
He won't be good enough to get NBA first interest as an elite shooting wing?

He's going to potentially be the leading scorer on a good P5 team but not on NBA radars?

Just in general, if you make a P5 conference all freshman team - could be on NBA radars. Especially as a scoring wing (and not a center like Dickinson or Edey that have no real position in the modern NBA).

Pretty sure people are penciling Dylan, Ace and Lathan as starters for next year if I'm not mistaken.

You raise a good point though - people are quick to talk about how "disappointing" other HCs/teams are (Michigan, Duke) when they don't win it all with multiple impact freshman/NBA picks.
The response if we falter with 2 lottery picks will be interesting.
I need to clarify. I think a team can have three freshmen that are impactful for their squad. However, I don't think the third most impactful freshman will be as impactful as a few other standout freshmen in the conference.

In other words, when selecting the B1G's nine most impactful freshmen at the end of the season, I highly doubt three of them will be on the same team.

Last edited:
I'd put together an argument with comparisons in the Big Ten as OAD's and other conferences from the last draft and the previous few with some 2AD's too, look for some EYBL efficiency numbers, add some stuff people probably didn't notice about HS rankings and note some trends in the NBA as well as some simple logic - BUT I don't think that would persuade anyone.

We'll see soon enough.

It's the arrogance and dismissal that shocks me.

"He's going to be great immediately. Oh but he won't be on NBA draft radar for 3 to 4 years. Zero chance he leaves early."

It can't be both.

Based on what?
He won't be good enough to get NBA first interest as an elite shooting wing?

He's going to potentially be the leading scorer on a good P5 team but not on NBA radars?

Just in general, if you make a P5 conference all freshman team - could be on NBA radars. Especially as a scoring wing (and not a center like Dickinson or Edey that have no real position in the modern NBA).
He is already on NBA radars before he plays he first college game.

Reactions: NickRU714

Sad Abc GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

Very excited to see Gavin play major mins. This kid is an offensive weapon. Catch and shoot all over the court with tremendous size but he can run the court AND dribble past defenders to drive to the basket for flushes.

This kid is another level. Double digit scorer no doubt as a true frosh. Says a lot. Hopefully RU has him for at least another two years.

GO RU

In other words, when selecting the B1G's nine most impactful freshmen at the end of the season, I highly doubt three of them will be on the same team.
Likely, you could be correct. But it's not impossible. See the Michigan Fab Five as a reference. By the way, other than GG, I dont follow anyone else on that list and dont know their talent levels.

Exactly - and I'm not even saying he's a lock for one and done - just that he has a shot and if puts up Jett Howard/Sensabaugh/Hood-Schifino like numbers (which I think he will), then he'll get treated by the NBA like those guys did.

I give up on trying to convince anyone. It's not worth the time or effort.
I'm hoping he's so good that he's out in 2 years.

I was going to ask, but I decided to look it up myself.

16 Freshman went in the 1st round of this years draft.

And the first 8 college players drafted were Freshman.

Looks like only 3 soph's. 3 jr's and 4 seniors went in the first round.

5 freshman and 3 sophs, went in the 2nd round.

I know family economics can play into it, but is he going to be amongst the top 20-30 freshman in NCAA this year? Possible I guess.

But I stick to my original point, very good but not great freshman season followed by a great Soph season and then he goes NBA, is best case scenario for RU imo.

I don't think many people are penciling in Sommerville to start as a freshman next year. He's a really good "top 100" prospect, but I'm not sure he's an immediate plug-in starter at C next year, especially with Woolf and Ogbole on the roster.

Reactions: Knightmoves
I'm hoping he's so good that he's out in 2 years.

I was going to ask, but I decided to look it up myself.

16 Freshman went in the 1st round of this years draft.

And the first 8 college players drafted were Freshman.

Looks like only 3 soph's. 3 jr's and 4 seniors went in the first round.

5 freshman and 3 sophs, went in the 2nd round.

I know family economics can play into it, but is he going to be amongst the top 20-30 freshman in NCAA this year? Possible I guess.

But I stick to my original point, very good but not great freshman season followed by a great Soph season and then he goes NBA, is best case scenario for RU imo.
It's crazy to think that Rutgers could end up having 3 guys going 1st around in same NBA Draft.

Ace, Dylan, Gavin

It's crazy to think that Rutgers could end up having 3 guys going 1st around in same NBA Draft.

Ace, Dylan, Gavin
Ya, and even if that was a major ding to the following season that would be great for the program.

Wouldn’t mind if each of those guys left after 2 years.
That is a great point that I think few here (or at least few who have posted on this matter) realize.

I think he will be in the running for B1G Freshman of the year and among the top 10-15 Freshmen in the country.

I don't understand how people think he could be all B1G FR team as a 6'8" elite shooter who can dribble and pass but zero chance at entering the draft.
i guess next question would be what past B1G freshman of the year have done.

He seems like a small forward to me. If he is a sg, is he quick enough to defend the opposing guard? Nobody's talking about his ability to defend.

3 Freshmen last year - Howard, Sensabaugh and Hood-Schifino were one and done first round picks
All 3 were reaches in my humble opinion . It is ridiculous to think they will have any significant impact on any roster. The NBA players in the league are already better than all 3. They would really have benefitted from another year in college especially playing in the Big 10 where every game is a war. Now I realize I am not an NBA GM and the thought process is to develop them in the NBA with NBA coaching but I believe a 2 year college stint would benefit all these freshman coming out. After 2 years of College strength training , nutrition and competition , they will be in better shape to make an impact in the NBA .
Gavin has Howard’s skill set but can do more and will be better and more consistent. Howard got hot a few games but I expect Gavin will be more consistent and a better all around player. I hope we have him 2 years because he will be outstanding next year with ACE, Dylan , and Somerville to take us to the Final Four , where Gavin’s exposure will be at its maximum.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Read the post about how many FR got drafted and how many Soph etc

If you think he’ll be better than the #11 pick in the last draft but come back for another year, I am at a loss for words on how to reply to that
They are viewing those 3 as slightly more athletic and they are drafting on potential. My point is that it was and will be shown to be a mistake that all 3 were drafted first round but are unlikely to have first round impact in the NBA. So if your point is if Gavin lights it up from 3 he will be drafted in top 20 And my point maybe but another year on a Final Four team and maybe he is top 10

• Haha
Reactions: MiloTalon13
All 3 were reaches in my humble opinion . It is ridiculous to think they will have any significant impact on any roster. The NBA players in the league are already better than all 3. They would really have benefitted from another year in college especially playing in the Big 10 where every game is a war. Now I realize I am not an NBA GM and the thought process is to develop them in the NBA with NBA coaching but I believe a 2 year college stint would benefit all these freshman coming out. After 2 years of College strength training , nutrition and competition , they will be in better shape to make an impact in the NBA .
Gavin has Howard’s skill set but can do more and will be better and more consistent. Howard got hot a few games but I expect Gavin will be more consistent and a better all around player. I hope we have him 2 years because he will be outstanding next year with ACE, Dylan , and Somerville to take us to the Final Four , where Gavin’s exposure will be at its maximum.
They will develop more in one month in the NBA focused on basketball as their career 24/7 with the best coaches, trainers and nutritionists, and playing against higher level competition, than they would benefit from another year in college. If you are not a top 5 draft pick, no one is expecting you to have much impact your first year, but you learn the system, you learn how to train and play like a pro and you work on all the things they you need to improve to be a successful pro.

They are viewing those 3 as slightly more athletic and they are drafting on potential. My point is that it was and will be shown to be a mistake that all 3 were drafted first round but are unlikely to have first round impact in the NBA. So if your point is if Gavin lights it up from 3 he will be drafted in top 20 And my point maybe but another year on a Final Four team and maybe he is top 10

In general, high draft picks don't return to college and improve their stock.

Just looking at 2025 draft: immediately Gavin is behind Dylan, Ace and Cooper Flagg.
That doesn't include any other elite 2024 one and done or foreign players.
Going up from 20 to 10 is unlikely - possible but unlikely.

The kid from Duke is literally the only recent example of a projected lottery/high 1st round pick returning to school.

Just looking at 2025 draft: immediately Gavin is behind Dylan, Ace and Cooper Flagg.

The kid from Duke is literally the only recent example of a projected lottery/high 1st round pick returning to school.
Filipowski was not a lottery pick, he was projected anywhere from 16 to 30. Even so, almost unanimously, commentators feel he is making a terrible decision. Very little upside and lots of downside.

Yeah and the kid from Duke , Flipkowski will have a tremendous year and will go top 5 next year and have an immediate impact in the NBA. He will have more of an impact after he gets drafted next year and his rookie year than any of those 3 other guys in their second year. Unlike NYC Supporter, I do not believe they will become more NBA ready by doing next to nothing their first year as compared to having a sensational sophomore collegiate season. I realize that is not the NBA model, but that doesn’t make the NBA model correct. Very few guys in the G league playing and skipping college are having impacts. Scooter Henderson and the twins will be the first ones and we will find out how they impact the NBA , but they are few and far between. Guys that played a few years of college are the ones having impacts in the NBA especially at the wing positions , Myles Bridges, and Cam Johnson and Duncan Robinson and Max Struss to name a few. That is what I would like to see for Gavin. Ace and likely Dylan are surely one and done guys but it would be nice to have them for 2

If he’s projected top 20 and you somehow got to advise him you’d tell him to come back?
Horrible advice
Yes because he will get drafted higher with more money and more guarantee money. I know there is some type of rookie scale that limits the rookie signings but he will make more than if he was taken late first or early second this year

If Gavin is the best wing shooter that has a handle to boot , he will be drafted first round because of his skill set like Grady Dick was this year. The fact that Cooper Flagg, Ace Bailey and Dylan Harper are ahead of him means next to nothing as those 3 might go 1,2 and 3

Not to mention the loss of money from delaying the NBA by a year.
What exactly are you talking about. ? Rookie salary for picks 21-28 are 2.5 million to 2 million first 2 years. Pick 8-12 are $5 million to 4.5 million. More money will be made by Flipkowski if he is taken next year 8-12 and if he is top 5 , it is not even close. Your argument holds no facts on it

What exactly are you talking about. ? Rookie salary for picks 21-28 are 2.5 million to 2 million first 2 years. Pick 8-12 are $5 million to 4.5 million. More money will be made by Flipkowski if he is taken next year 8-12 and if he is top 5 , it is not even close. Your argument holds no facts on it

Didn’t he come back to take advantage of the projected weakness at PF/C in next years draft?

If Gavin is the best wing shooter that has a handle to boot , he will be drafted first round because of his skill set like Grady Dick was this year. The fact that Cooper Flagg, Ace Bailey and Dylan Harper are ahead of him means next to nothing as those 3 might go 1,2 and 3
And Gradey Dick was a freshman when he went into the draft. And he and Gavin are similarly rated coming out of high school.

Take it easy and I’ll break it down for you.
You seem to be arguing just to argue without actual understanding.

Flipkowski is earning zero this year (putting NIL aside).
Yes, his rookie contract would be marginally larger starting in 2025.

However, he is starting a year later.
So he will start his 2nd NBA contract (hypothetically $25m/year - being conservative) a year later.

That is the money he is giving up by returning to college and delaying a year.

Those are the facts you seem to be missing.
I even laid out specifics in another thread if you would like.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...sion-contract-5y-260m-205m-guaranteed.262854/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT