ADVERTISEMENT

Top ten tailgating towns

Even tailgating at Army - We never got to enjoy because of weather but it is legendary. Used to go to a game about every 2 years in the 80's-90's and it was great.

Even tailgating at Army - We never got to enjoy because of weather but it is legendary. Used to go to a game about every 2 years in the 80's-90's and it was great.

My uncle was West Point '53 and actually ended up in the Air Force because they were included until the Air Force Academy was finished in '55. He eventually ended up working in Texas but my mother got him to buy season tickets each year and send them up. With his priority being a 30-40 year grad the seats were magnificent. Like 48 yard line, 49 yard line, 50 yard line and 49 yard line in the lower stands. Equally good parking pass. Outstanding. The only thing some, especially younger folks, might not like is it's not real rowdy.

Went to a Rutgers @ Michigan game and there is almost no tailgating as there is very little room for it. A couple Michigan fans who had been to games at RU commented on how good the tailgating was at RU
Yup. Underrated in Piscataway. I’m guessing that unless you are super connected at some of these blue blood places, tailgating isn’t all that.

I always heard LSU was great with all gumbos and Cajun butt-burning stuff.
Seemed they would be on the list but maybe by "towns" they mean the pub scene?

Army I've done dozens of times - fam gets 100+ people easy.
They do the pig roasts and Army bagpipe crew stops by as they travel the lots.
Nobody looks over your shoulder and its pretty relaxed and no real jerks.
Visitors can think an MP is one false move away
Cadets always come around for food/heat (propane).
Very child/family friendly place
Class reunions all over this time of year

• Love
Reactions: Bagarocks
My uncle was West Point '53 and actually ended up in the Air Force because they were included until the Air Force Academy was finished in '55. He eventually ended up working in Texas but my mother got him to buy season tickets each year and send them up. With his priority being a 30-40 year grad the seats were magnificent. Like 48 yard line, 49 yard line, 50 yard line and 49 yard line in the lower stands. Equally good parking pass. Outstanding. The only thing some, especially younger folks, might not like is it's not real rowdy.
I grew up in the Poughkeepsie area so big time football up there in the 60's-80's was Army.

Tailgating was always a huge part of it.

The best I attended was early 90's- my in-laws were best friends with a Colonel that had been instructing there for about 5 years. They had a tent for the officers, families and friends. I mean it was everything from hotdogs to lamb chops and lobster tail. They the game and then to a after game party attended by officers and cadets. Everything at the after party would have been considered a black tie event except that everyone attending that was not a part of West Point, was in their football fan attire.

They just did something special. And yes- not rowdy but even the young folk would have just been impressed.

Been to 8 out of the ten. No ND and no big house. Penn state is way too high. Outside of huge open fields their tailgating is very cookie cutter and vanilla.

But that list is solid. Surprising no Oklahoma or Texas. Was very surprised by how over the top they were. People that bash our scene either have never been or have nothing to compare it too. South Carolina is legit but not sure they deserve the 4 spot. Would slide them down a little.

Not surprised Texas or A&M are not on the list…the Austin campus is frankly small and everything is shoved very close to the stadium, not to mention is is shoved basically in the middle of downtown. Their scene is left to establishments on off campus streets. Little room. A&M has the opposite problem…too much space and spread all over campus so the tailgating scene is in very distinct pockets.

I always heard LSU was great with all gumbos and Cajun butt-burning stuff.
Seemed they would be on the list but maybe by "towns" they mean the pub scene?

Army I've done dozens of times - fam gets 100+ people easy.
They do the pig roasts and Army bagpipe crew stops by as they travel the lots.
Nobody looks over your shoulder and its pretty relaxed and no real jerks.
Visitors can think an MP is one false move away
Cadets always come around for food/heat (propane).
Very child/family friendly place
Class reunions all over this time of year
Back to being the poet laureate of the board, and on an Army tailgating post no less. Love it.

Reactions: ashokan
Going by the title, it says tailgaiting towns. Is it the actual tailgate we are speaking of or the towns where the tailgate occurs? Piscataway is not a great tailgate town, but we have a pretty good tailgate scene on campus.

meh I think tailgating the last decade has really dropped. Yeah sure in the first couple rows of blue and a few in yellow its still happening but think back to the wild scenes a decade ago for Penn State and Michigan. Thats gone and I do not think its coming back. The atmosphere lost its edge when students were basically banished and now you have a situation where its hard to get them over because why not just continue to party in New Brunswick. They didnt always go in the game before but at least you had them there and there was a possibility some would end up in the game at some point. I thought student turnout was mediocre last week and then thousand of them bolted at halftime

meh I think tailgating the last decade has really dropped. Yeah sure in the first couple rows of blue and a few in yellow its still happening but think back to the wild scenes a decade ago for Penn State and Michigan. Thats gone and I do not think its coming back. The atmosphere lost its edge when students were basically banished and now you have a situation where its hard to get them over because why not just continue to party in New Brunswick. They didnt always go in the game before but at least you had them there and there was a possibility some would end up in the game at some point. I thought student turnout was mediocre last week and then thousand of them bolted at halftime
This needs to be one of the first things the new AD changes

We're losing future generations of donors, boosters, season ticket holders and fans due to them not coming over to the game due to draconian measures placed on them

Reactions: Fat Koko
This needs to be one of the first things the new AD changes

We're losing future generations of donors, boosters, season ticket holders and fans due to them not coming over to the game due to draconian measures placed on them
Draconian is a little strong, don't you think?

Draconian is a little strong, don't you think?
Have you seen the Middlesex County Sheriff patrol the lots. I'm thinking he is being kind.

This really is an easy fix. I have been to stadiums throughout the ountry. RU is the most overly securitized I have ever seen by a large margin. Most tailgates the police stay to the outside and don't enter tailgating areas unless called in. Tailgaters have a way of self regulating bad behavior without the necessity of police intervention.

Of course he means tailgating scenes, not towns. Ours is excellent but certainly not among the top 10 with or without the Boardwalk. And South Bend ?

Knoxville, for one, belongs on the list. Volunteer Navy.

Have you seen the Middlesex County Sheriff patrol the lots. I'm thinking he is being kind.

This really is an easy fix. I have been to stadiums throughout the ountry. RU is the most overly securitized I have ever seen by a large margin. Most tailgates the police stay to the outside and don't enter tailgating areas unless called in. Tailgaters have a way of self regulating bad behavior without the necessity of police intervention.
Yes, I have and they haven't been nearly as present in recent years. I haven't had any issues. What activities are you engaging in to attract this scrutiny Mr. Kupuna?

Does it have to be absolute mayhem for it to be a great scene? And tailgating is only good in Yellow and Blue? I'm in Black and worried about getting my regular spot tomorrow from all the Homecoming Heroes that show up one game a year. It throws all the regulars off.

Reactions: RUPete
Yes, I have and they haven't been nearly as present in recent years. I haven't had any issues. What activities are you engaging in to attract this scrutiny Mr. Kupuna?
Haven’t had any recent interaction. I tailgate with multiple family members in law enforcement so we’re good. But have witnessed MCS be overly aggressive with families. No need for them to be anywhere near tailgates unless called in.

Why would you ask that question? Kind of bizarre especially considering you admit they were a problem. And we are talking about bringing students back to tailgating lots. Where certain demographics were harassed by said organization.

Haven’t had any recent interaction. I tailgate with multiple family members in law enforcement so we’re good. But have witnessed MCS be overly aggressive with families. No need for them to be anywhere near tailgates unless called in.

Why would you ask that question? Kind of bizarre especially considering you admit they were a problem. And we are talking about bringing students back to tailgating lots. Where certain demographics were harassed by said organization.
I'm joking with you. You're a very serious dude.

Reactions: Section124
Been to 8 out of the ten. No ND and no big house. Penn state is way too high. Outside of huge open fields their tailgating is very cookie cutter and vanilla.

But that list is solid. Surprising no Oklahoma or Texas. Was very surprised by how over the top they were. People that bash our scene either have never been or have nothing to compare it too. South Carolina is legit but not sure they deserve the 4 spot. Would slide them down a little.
30 years ago I worked with a South Carolina alum who always saw parallels between SC and Rutgers in terms of underachieving, mostly. But even then he spoke of tailgating "condos".. that is set spaces to rent for the season with whole BBQ and power setups. Rutgers still doesn't have anything like that.

check out the packages they offer today

30 years ago I worked with a South Carolina alum who always saw parallels between SC and Rutgers in terms of underachieving, mostly. But even then he spoke of tailgating "condos".. that is set spaces to rent for the season with whole BBQ and power setups. Rutgers still doesn't have anything like that.

Rutgers
South Carolina
Indiana

All 3 historically mediocre programs with very good tailgating scenes

Reactions: gchicago
Hopefully one day Rutgers is ranked #6 for the action inside the stadium.
Going by the title, it says tailgaiting towns. Is it the actual tailgate we are speaking of or the towns where the tailgate occurs? Piscataway is not a great tailgate town, but we have a pretty good tailgate scene on campus.
Nice part about Piscataway football stadium location is it comes with acres of vacant land to park cars and do tailgate parties. Sort of like NFL stadiums surrounded by thousands of parking spaces.

Bad part about Piscataway is complementary businesses - bars and restaurants and clothing shops - do not exist within walking distance of the stadium.

Difficult to have both.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Athens as a pregame town is amazing, but far from traditional tailgating in my opinion. More of a bar scene, with limited spots for tailgates. Rutgers has the benefit of open space on many of these places.
I didn't read the article in depth, but I think you need a criteria for judging places. Also, to your point, would you characterize Athens as great pre-gaming instead of great tailgating? It all depends on your definition and what you're looking for in an experience.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris

I am very aware of SC. And agree there are many parallels to RU and USC. Been to USC more than a dozen times. Rented one of those condos/cockaboose on game day.

They are offered at Rutgers.

I wonder if the change in AD creates an opportunity to reinvigorate blue lot space for frats and students in general. As you say, they had some wild tailgates going 10-15 years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT