ADVERTISEMENT

USC bans tailgating at game vs Rutgers

I was originally gonna mock USC for this. But after some more thought, realized that disallowing on-campus tailgating isn't totally dumb if there's a possibility that it could disrupt academic activities on a traditional "school day". And USC isn't saying no tailgating anywhere - just not on campus.

Perhaps the on-campus tailgating at USC occurs in locations more potentially disruptive to academic activities than, say, how it works at RU, where most of the disruptive tailgates occur near the stadium and reasonably distant from classrooms, labs or dorms.

Reactions: RUPete
So the tailgating ban appears to only apply to the on-campus tailgating, which I gather is at least partially scattered among the academic buildings. Maybe like "The Grove" at Ol' Miss?
The off-campus locations (the stadium area, etc) will still have tailgating (I think).
That's how I read it initially. Not a big deal although it does diminish the local flavor thing a bit.
My ticket rep told me that security and Rutgers athletics got an earful about the bag lines and were actively working on a solution to the problem. 🤷
I hope they don't. I fly right in the stadium these days. 😄

Reactions: Knight Shift
Just set up a large protest encampment with brats, beer, Bruce, and RU flags - the administrators will embrace your rights to express your views peacefully before the game.
The administrators won't be involved until it's too late.

And what if they have the Southern CA version of the Middlesex County Sheriff's Dept patrolling on game day? If they do, then the tailgating "protestors" will be aggressively harassed and ticketed.

Just set up a large protest encampment with brats, beer, Bruce, and RU flags - the administrators will embrace your rights to express your views peacefully before the game.
Campus security: "No tailgating allowed on Campus."

Tailgaters: "We are not tailgating. We are homeless. We have rights, you know."

Campus security: "Oh, OK. There is free beer and food in the student center, it's a short walk from here. Enjoy yourselves."

Not a huge difference-just go without a Rutgers logo on your tent?

flatten;crop;webp=auto;jpeg_quality=60.jpg

240725-california-homeless-encampments-se-230p-f3d70e.jpg

And here you go, from Seat Geek, spot in the Green Tailgate Lot, for $181, and there is one other available for $400:

Use "Spot Hero" and see if any locals or business are offering parking. Of course check the area you must park in and walk through. There are some dodgy areas surrounding USC. They had more last month. Looks like most of the current openings are near the Fashion District but more homes will open up closer to game day. Grab a Uber from your spot?

Last edited:
So the tailgating ban appears to only apply to the on-campus tailgating, which I gather is at least partially scattered among the academic buildings. Maybe like "The Grove" at Ol' Miss?
The off-campus locations (the stadium area, etc) will still have tailgating (I think).
Seems right Scarlet16E - I also remember being at Boston College with on campus "tailgating" among academic buildings or possibly residence halls near the stadium

Boy, you read a thread one day late, and so many post ideas I had while reading it were already posted by others. Great minds!

I will add re: Michelin restaurants vs. tailgating... different strokes. Sounds like some want an LA vacation with a Rutgers game thrown in, vs. a football weekend trip with some LA thrown in.

I don't know why USC couldn't say that on-campus tailgates cannot set up before 5 PM or whenever their last classes get out on Friday. But it's their decision to make.

There’s 7 home games per year which draw an average of 70k people generating x amount for the university and associated businesses

IIRC, this is the only one for them on a weekday

How about SC ends classes at noon and lets people have some fun

not by much
Meh. While CA does some stuff I find questionable, and is a royal PITA with respect to their regulations on cars, I don't find them all that bad. And I find NJ perfectly sane - either the sanest, or tied of the sanest, of all states in the nation, IMO.

What state is more sane?

There’s 7 home games per year which draw an average of 70k people generating x amount for the university and associated businesses

IIRC, this is the only one for them on a weekday

How about SC ends classes at noon and lets people have some fun
I am deeply disappointed in your inability to put academics first.

I am deeply disappointed in your inability to put academics first.
The body is the temple for the mind. So one might argue that sports and other physical endeavors should be at least as important as endeavors of the mind.

Or, you know, something like that anyway. 🙂

Agreed. . But the positive is this can be a competitive advantage for us.
Is that because by not being able to tailgate before the game , RU fans can "Focus" on beating USC ,which will help the Scarlet Knights play their best during the game .
Guess visiting USC tailgates would cause RU fans to lose focus by intermingling with the enemy and like a wise man named Tony constantly claimed: If RU Fans don't "focus" on winning the game, Rutgers will lose.
Glad to see someone assume Tony's mantle, I just think what you're doing is Plum wonderful
Happy Birthday Dance GIF by Sesame Street

• Haha
the NIL Nag Slipped up--this is what he meant to type:

"Roadtrips across the country should not be taken IMO. Don't seek out a great place to eat and drink-eat Ramen noodles at home, then park in the street for free and walk far if you have to. Use all the money you saved on flight, hotel, restaurant, drinks and parking and give it to NIL. Don't leave any money to your family or offspring. Give it all to NIL."

6 hours on a plane to have dogs and burgers in a lot. That’s your idea of fun when there are fantastic Michelin rated restaurants to pre game at 20 min from the stadium. Places famous for their food and cocktails. To each his own I can careless what some USC snob in a parking lot cares. I doubt they are looking for any of our fans to go and bother them with useless drivel.

My ticket rep told me that security and Rutgers athletics got an earful about the bag lines and were actively working on a solution to the problem. 🤷
Well, they'll have just under 3 weeks after the last game let's see how they do. My bet, they go back to the way it was, which wasn't broken in the 1st place.

Reactions: MrsScrew
the NIL Nag Slipped up--this is what he meant to type:

"Roadtrips across the country should not be taken IMO. Don't seek out a great place to eat and drink-eat Ramen noodles at home, then park in the street for free and walk far if you have to. Use all the money you saved on flight, hotel, restaurant, drinks and parking and give it to NIL. Don't leave any money to your family or offspring. Give it all to NIL."
Is there a thread that you don’t participate in? Go back to “ignoring me” lol.

6 hours on a plane to have dogs and burgers in a lot. That’s your idea of fun when there are fantastic Michelin rated restaurants to pre game at 20 min from the stadium. Places famous for their food and cocktails. To each his own I can careless what some USC snob in a parking lot cares. I doubt they are looking for any of our fans to go and bother them with useless drivel.
I'm not going to this one, but I usually don't fly in the day of the game. Screw that, I'm not doing this to rush around, I want to take my time and enjoy myself. That night we hit up a restaurant, next morning pick up grub and disposable charcoal grill and head over to the stadium to tailgate. Chatting it up with those from different areas of the country is all part of the fun.

Sorry if this is a little mean, but the way you post causes me to be extremely skeptical that you spend much, if any, time in 2 or 3 star restaurants. Lots of cognitive dissonance between your professed obsession with Michelin-rated restaurants and you calling people at USC snobs while you're mocking people's fondness for common tailgate food.

As for Michelin-rated restaurants, each to their own, but I struggle to find one with a menu containing much I'd care to eat at any price. In fact, for most dishes I see advertised, you couldn't pay me enough to eat it. But then, I'm not much into food as art.

Sorry if this is a little mean, but the way you post causes me to be extremely skeptical that you spend much, if any, time in 2 or 3 star restaurants. Lots of cognitive dissonance between your professed obsession with Michelin-rated restaurants and you calling people at USC snobs while you're mocking people's fondness for common tailgate food.

As for Michelin-rated restaurants, each to their own, but I struggle to find one with a menu containing much I'd care to eat at any price. In fact, for most dishes I see advertised, you couldn't pay me enough to eat it. But then, I'm not much into food as art.
I can careless what you think Hooker and blow man. You can’t believe that a person visiting a major city in this country for 5 days doesn’t want to spend any time talking to Yahoos in a parking lot that’s on you. I want to get the most out of this visit and taking a train to the game and buying the worse seats may be what you call fun. There are outstanding places to eat and drink 20 min from the parking garage and that’s what me and my wife will be doing.

I can careless what you think Hooker and blow man. You can’t believe that a person visiting a major city in this country for 5 days doesn’t want to spend any time talking to Yahoos in a parking lot that’s on you. I want to get the most out of this visit and taking a train to the game and buying the worse seats may be what you call fun. There are outstanding places to eat and drink 20 min from the parking garage and that’s what me and my wife will be doing.
It's "hookers". Plural.

Nobody ever just hangs out with only one hooker. I mean, what fun would that be? 🤔

While the vast majority of you with comments will be watching it on TV struggling to stay awake.
That's why 2 hookers instead of 1. You never struggle to stay awake.

My advice is so damn great. I'm gonna have to start charging for it.

Here's some more great free advice... the best possible response you could make to my post is to elide this and the second paragraphs, and then respond "You don't struggle to stay awake, but the hookers do". You're welcome.

some like to keep to themselves and sip the Champaign in fancy places ( Michelin-rated restaurants are a fine choice for those that consider going to one is the way to have fun just before the game ), while other want to mingle.,meet new people and enjoy whatever cuisine is spread out for all to enjoy. Could be just hot dogs or what is a local favorite being served that a visiting fan finds the most enjoyable thing to do before the game starts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT