ADVERTISEMENT

Turley Done

Done season or done career? This season has really taken a downturn in the past week with the Alvarez and Turley news

Injuries are a part of wrestling and effect every team. The loss of Spence Lee and Ben Darmstadt have really hurt Iowa and Cornell. Gives an opportunity for O'Neil to step-up. Depth is important. If Turley, Alvarez, and Peterson return healthy next year, we should be really good. Plus, Hamilton may be competing. Don't give up on this year. Rivera 1st or 2nd - MVB round of 12 or AA - Poz top 4 - Bulsak top 4 with Shawver and Olivieri qualifying - Plus still have NQ hopes for Kanniard and McDermott. With Rivera's energy and leadership we should still perform well.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Injuries are a part of wrestling and effect every team. The loss of Spence Lee and Ben Darmstadt have really hurt Iowa and Cornell.
Hurt yes. But we just lost two of our best not one in the space of a week, this will crush any expectations of our team being one of our best ever come March. There's just no way to sugar coat it, losing 20% of your starting lineup and two of your best in a week is a huge blow for the team and fans.

Somehow two wrestlers equals three All Americans by your math
Directly yes, but many of us were looking at MVB as a potential dark horse but he hasn’t wrestled as well as he was wrestling last year

Directly yes, but many of us were looking at MVB as a potential dark horse but he hasn’t wrestled as well as he was wrestling last year
MVB went 1-3 in duals, had a hot Big Ten tournament and went 0-2 at nationals. He's wrestling far better this year. Losing Sammy and Turley hurts but let's keep it at that and not be so dramatic about other things

I'm bummed at this news and it would be nice to see him get a medical RS. This at least helps explain the lack of execution on the mat and helps put a lid on the detractors who theorized his down turn. I was surprised at the responses of those who couldn't add together his talent, accomplishments with very little B1G experience, and the injury history, and then whiff with their suggestions. ESPECIALLY the "experts". Turley is our most dynamic wrestler and my favorite to watch. I wish for a speedy recovery and look forward to his return.

Reactions: njsportsphan
I'm bummed at this news and it would be nice to see him get a medical RS. This at least helps explain the lack of execution on the mat and helps put a lid on the detractors who theorized his down turn. I was surprised at the responses of those who couldn't add together his talent, accomplishments with very little B1G experience, and the injury history, and then whiff with their suggestions. ESPECIALLY the "experts". Turley is our most dynamic wrestler and my favorite to watch. I wish for a speedy recovery and look forward to his return.
Correct kimosabe ...guys questioning whether his mind was still in the game , his lack of conditioning supposedly etc....ya can’t wrestle well no matter what these experts say with a bum shoulder which he has been dealing with all season ...at least now he gets a medical redshirt hopefully so we get another three full seasons of watching this dynamic kid ..good luck Jackson...come back next year stronger then ever .

I'm glad to see that Turley will be getting the shoulder fixed. I've been very big on him from the beginning. He said in his post that he injured it early in the season but it was first injured at the end of last year, so this must have been a reinjury. I've wanted to see him back in form and hope that happens next year. It will take a lot of work on his part. To be clear about my comments, I have never ripped or attacked the guy. Those terms get thrown out there too easily by the motherly types. I have made observations that have been correct assessments based on what I saw and his brief history. Jackson has come into each season out of shape and improved during the season, except for this year. I was expressing concern that being out of condition could easily lead to re-injury of the shoulder, and perhaps it did. He is a tremendous talent worthy of the attention he will need. Someone will need to work closely with him - the strength and conditioning person or whomever but Jackson will need someone to keep him on track to recovery and push him to get into wrestling condition, otherwise, he risks reinjury again. I hope to see him at his best for the next three years.

MVB went 1-3 in duals, had a hot Big Ten tournament and went 0-2 at nationals. He's wrestling far better this year. Losing Sammy and Turley hurts but let's keep it at that and not be so dramatic about other things
MVB wrestled 4 of the best kids in the country and hung tight with all of them in duals. Don’t really think I’m being dramatic, but alright.

MVB wrestled 4 of the best kids in the country and hung tight with all of them in duals. Don’t really think I’m being dramatic, but alright.
You're lumping him in with two injured wrestlers as a lost AA because you say he's not performing like he did last year. And that's just not true.

You're lumping him in with two injured wrestlers as a lost AA because you say he's not performing like he did last year. And that's just not true.
We’re allowed to disagree. I just don’t see how my opinion could be considered “dramatic”

It's just a random adjective don't worry about it too much
You have to realize there's been a sect of posters attacking anyone they feel has been overly critical. So while you had no mal intent in many other cases they have. This will now cause posters to be overly critical of any rebuttal. Once it was a place for disagreeing views, but now any disagreeing view is met with personal scorn. The board has become a forum of walking on eggshells.

Last edited:
He hurt his shoulder before the season even started he wrestled all year with it. He thought it would be ok but kept getting worse and worse. He tried to keep going but the shoulder wouldn't cooperate.

Think the thread title should be reworded. As is, it sounds like he quit wrestling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT