ADVERTISEMENT

Twelve Tufts Lax Players Experience Rhabdo After Navy SEAL Workout

I don't think you will find a sport out there that has produced more SEALS than lacrosse. That said, that level of intensity sounds pretty radical. Lacrosse training is very hard.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Rhabdo is a state not easily achieved. I call bullshit on the 45 minutes. Intensity and longevity are usually necessary especially given that these were college athletes...and its quite serious. These molecules are large enough for kidneys to fail. People will be, and should be fired, and I come from the "throw dirt on it" school of play. You will not see 12 seals hospitalized during Hell week so there is more to this story and it cant be good.

Reactions: Caliknight
Rhabdo is a state not easily achieved. I call bullshit on the 45 minutes. Intensity and longevity are usually necessary especially given that these were college athletes...and its quite serious. These molecules are large enough for kidneys to fail. People will be, and should be fired, and I come from the "throw dirt on it" school of play. You will not see 12 seals hospitalized during Hell week so there is more to this story and it cant be good.
Hence the investigation initiated by the Tufts administration.

I can’t believe that it occurred after 45 minutes either but it was a Monday after an alumni weekend so they may have been have some fun that weekend and we’re not ready for the level of intensity. It could have also been a 45 minute SEAL workout after their normal workout.

My cousin, a recently-retired SEAL, always told me that as a wrestler I would be able to get through their training. But as soon as he described it the first time, I knew he was just being polite.

I don't know of any athletic training that equates to SEAL training with regard to intensity. It seems like poor judgment to send college athletes into that, knowing that with their competitive nature, they would try to tough it out at the expense of their own health. Maybe I don't know the full story, though...

Last edited:
Definitely seems aggressive, and outside of creating mental toughness, very little application to a lacrosse field I would think.

Coaches at the D1 level get involved with some form of training usually as form of punishment but the real stuff is left up to the trainers.

I know a guy who is a SEAL and a Ranger. He passed SEAL training and was waiting to get deployed and had 6 months to kill so he became a Ranger. SEAL folks told him he would no longer be a SEAL if he didn't pass the Ranger training. He did. Said the Ranger training is significantly easier than SEAL training.

Definitely seems aggressive, and outside of creating mental toughness, very little application to a lacrosse field I would think.

Coaches at the D1 level get involved with some form of training usually as form of punishment but the real stuff is left up to the trainers.

I know a guy who is a SEAL and a Ranger. He passed SEAL training and was waiting to get deployed and had 6 months to kill so he became a Ranger. SEAL folks told him he would no longer be a SEAL if he didn't pass the Ranger training. He did. Said the Ranger training is significantly easier than SEAL training.
Ha, I didn't know you could do that. Remind me to stay on that guy's good side...

Reactions: Caliknight
Most mellow dude you'd ever meet, which I've found to be a trait of these bad asses.

My buddy runs a surf charter in Costa Rica. We were all in the water one time and an ominous looking boat pulled up near ours. My buddy said he was going to paddle back to the boat to make sure everything was ok. I asked if he needed some of us to go back with him, his response was, "nah, I got this just keep surfing I'll be back soon".

If I could have radio'd the other boat I would have. I have no idea what you guys are doing but I promise you getting on that boat will be the worst decision of your life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT