ADVERTISEMENT

Twin Cities Pioneer Press: Kirk Ciarrocca Offered $1.5 million/year

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
If you enter your e-mail, you can read the article:

"After not being able to hire other offensive coordinators, Rutgers came back to Ciarrocca on Thursday and offered him a salary around $1.5 million, a source said."

"Meanwhile, the New Jersey school’s athletics department had $265 million in outstanding debt as of Sept. 2021, according to northjersey.com."

"Fleck has said in the past he wants an offensive coordinator to double as the quarterback coach. He has had that with Ciarrocca, as well as in the two-year stint with Mike Sanford Jr. in 2020-21. Fleck did not retain Sanford amid offensive struggles over two seasons and brought back Ciarrocca after last season."

Reactions: rutgersguy1
If you enter your e-mail, you can read the article:

"After not being able to hire other offensive coordinators, Rutgers came back to Ciarrocca on Thursday and offered him a salary around $1.5 million, a source said."

"Meanwhile, the New Jersey school’s athletics department had $265 million in outstanding debt as of Sept. 2021, according to northjersey.com."

"Fleck has said in the past he wants an offensive coordinator to double as the quarterback coach. He has had that with Ciarrocca, as well as in the two-year stint with Mike Sanford Jr. in 2020-21. Fleck did not retain Sanford amid offensive struggles over two seasons and brought back Ciarrocca after last season."

Off Thamel's tweet yesterday, I thought it was possible it could be in that 1.5-2M range. I wonder how many years the contract is.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Damn...$1.5M. More than 50% raise from $950K average at UMTC. Great gig if you can get it. I hope he earns it. Looks like KC had leverage here and Greg was getting more and more desperate every day and had to overpay to get him to finally bite. Suppose some of it can be attrbiuted to higher cost of living but that would be a very generous/handsome package either way.

The crazy thing is they said after failing to get other options we offered 1.5 million. I’m assuming that means other options turned down more than 1 million a year.
Likely the case. It would appear that even with KC they initially offered something in the $1M+ range which he presumably declined and they had to sweeten the offer to get him to say yes.

The crazy thing is they said after failing to get other options we offered 1.5 million. I’m assuming that means other options turned down more than 1 million a year.
Did they ask others at $1.5M or was he the only one left?

Rutgers comes off desperate to fill the position as soon as possible and it would seem they were not in a position of bargaining power/leverage in these negotiations.

😂😂😂

Does KC have some kind of Rutgers or Schiano connection? I'm not understanding this hire. That's a lot of bread for a guy who made his living by having an NFL running back and a competent game manager at QB...

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Does KC have some kind of Rutgers or Schiano connection? I'm not understanding this hire. That's a lot of bread for a guy who made his living by having an NFL running back and a competent game manager at QB...
KC previously served as OC for Schiano in 2008-2009.
Also - After he was coaching elsewhere, his daughter was a star soccer player for Rutgers, so there is a deeper connection to RU.

Damn...$1.5M. More than 50% raise from $950K average at UMTC. Great gig if you can get it. I hope he earns it. Looks like KC had leverage here and Greg was getting more and more desperate every day and had to overpay to get him to finally bite. Suppose some of it can be attrbiuted to higher cost of living but that would be a very generous/handsome package either way.
this is what happens when you get turned down by others

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
KC previously served as OC for Schiano in 2008-2009.
Also - After he was coaching elsewhere, his daughter was a star soccer player for Rutgers, so there is a deeper connection to RU.
94289-I-did-not-know-that-gif-Rob-Lo-AvqX.gif

Or they got bid back to stay. No one is turning down money. Most P5 programs can out spend RU.

You mean other than coaching here at Rutgers for Greg previously?

Reactions: Arizona Knight
Nice play by KC and this really seems to highlight the unattractiveness of an RU position under GS. Quite an overpay even considering the cost of living difference between New Jersey and Minnesota.

So... the guy that had one of countries worse passing offenses, heavily relied on an NFL caliber running back, was 2-23 when trailing by a TD, and was fired by Schiano before, is now the 3rd highest paid OC in the country and makes more than Bill OBrien at Bama? Is that accurate?

My issue with KC being back has little to do with his resume. On paper KC is an okay choice. Seasoned play caller and built in QB coach.
The issues are:
  1. Obviously not first choice (can be used negatively)
  2. Ridiculous delay in making the hire (can be used negatively)
  3. We grossly overpaid (HUGE RED FLAG!!!!)
It could have been worse. KC is somewhat the best that can be expected with the perceived notion that multiple people turned the job down. I would have rather a seasoned playcaller with a little more name recognition and juice on the recruiting trail.

So... the guy that had one of countries worse passing offenses, heavily relied on an NFL caliber running back, was 2-23 when trailing by a TD, and was fired by Schiano before, is now the 3rd highest paid OC in the country and makes more than Bill OBrien at Bama? Is that accurate?
Who are the 2 OCs that make more? I don't think that's correct.

Quick lookup for things I've read in the past to reconfirm.

I think his salary is up there but not sure if it's 3rd. Ryan Grubb just got pushed up to 2M at UW. A&M tried to get Garrett Riley from TCU and it's not public but I think his salary got pushed to 2M. It seems like Kendal Briles will get a bump from Arkansas. Miss State was trying to hire him. Jeff Lebby at OU makes 1.8M Todd Monken makes 2M at UGA. I wouldn't be surprised if Longo at Wisconsin is in the 1.5-2M vicinity as well. So it is up there but not top 3.

2-23 record when trailing by a TD or more? That I didn't know about but it's not completely surprising if true. It's kind of like the triple option teams. If you run it so much then if you have the lead you can strangle your opponent but if you're down it's also hard to come back if you can't pass sufficiently.

My issue with KC being back has little to do with his resume. On paper KC is an okay choice. Seasoned play caller and built in QB coach.
The issues are:
  1. Obviously not first choice (can be used negatively)
  2. Ridiculous delay in making the hire (can be used negatively)
  3. We grossly overpaid (HUGE RED FLAG!!!!)
It could have been worse. KC is somewhat the best that can be expected with the perceived notion that multiple people turned the job down. I would have rather a seasoned playcaller with a little more name recognition and juice on the recruiting trail.
You could spin that another way to say this isn’t “same ole’ Rutgers” anymore.

You could spin that another way to say this isn’t “same ole’ Rutgers” anymore.
If they got their first candidate yes. When they get someone further down the line and still have to negotiate higher payout, not so sure that’s the spin I would sign up for.

But I can live with KC. Think we could have done much worse.

If they got their first candidate yes. When they get someone further down the line and still have to negotiate higher payout, not so sure that’s the spin I would sign up for.

But I can live with KC. Think we could have done much worse.
It tells the coaching fraternity Rutgers is in the game and will pay.

That ain’t no same ole’ IMO.

Last edited:
It tell the coaching fraternity Rutgers is in the game and will pay.

I said this yesterday after the Thamel tweet. I don’t know that KC is worth 1.5M but the fact that we’re able and willing to pay it is a statement in itself.

Reactions: czxqa
It tell the coaching fraternity Rutgers is in the game and will pay.

I agree paying for first choice talent shows the fraternity RU is in the game. Paying through the nose for what some say is fourth choice is another case of Rutgers gonna Rutgers.

Should’ve hire the assistant passing game coordinator from USC instead. That guy would be cheap and jump at the chance.

I agree paying for first choice talent shows the fraternity RU is in the game. Paying through the nose for what some say is fourth choice is another case of Rutgers gonna Rutgers.
But we never did that until recently. The message is sent.

But we never did that until recently. The message is sent.
We shall see. I thought that claim and message was sent 3 years ago with Gleeson and his $1mill OC salary.

I want KC to succeed. Interested to see development and stability on that side of the ball. And I think he can do that.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Should’ve hire the assistant passing game coordinator from USC instead. That guy would be cheap and jump at the chance.
Nah, but someone like Littrell would’ve been good at this price. He was making this much at UNT as HC. Don’t know if he’d have come. I would’ve been good giving a shot to Decker too who ended up at ODU.

It’s all somewhat of a guessing game and playing probabilities of which path has the most potential to yield the best results. Anything can work though. I pay enough attention to CFB to see which way has a better chance over the years.

You get no bigger endorsement than Fickell himself. You can’t get much more midwest blue collar hard nosed than him and his first instinct is go get Longo, a Leach influenced guy. That’s obviously what he thinks is needed for Wisconsin to take the next step. A more open productive offense but an offense and team that has some physicality to it and you have a decent chance to do things. They’ve suddenly got a few qbs out of nowhere. It’s basically what TCU has done this year to have the year they’re having.

We have who we have and hopefully it works out and if it doesn’t we try again. That’s all.

We could ask a few of their Rutgers high donors to switch part of the millions in Rutgers contributions to NIL and PAY one of the top QBs in the country to transfer to Rutgers......and keep our interim Offensive Coordinator. Let this top QB learn to be an offensive coordinator "on the job".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT