ADVERTISEMENT

Twin Cities Pioneer Press: Kirk Ciarrocca Offered $1.5 million/year

So... the guy that had one of countries worse passing offenses, heavily relied on an NFL caliber running back, was 2-23 when trailing by a TD, and was fired by Schiano before, is now the 3rd highest paid OC in the country and makes more than Bill OBrien at Bama? Is that accurate?
What’s your point, exactly ?

Who are the 2 OCs that make more? I don't think that's correct.

Quick lookup for things I've read in the past to reconfirm.

I think his salary is up there but not sure if it's 3rd. Ryan Grubb just got pushed up to 2M at UW. A&M tried to get Garrett Riley from TCU and it's not public but I think his salary got pushed to 2M. It seems like Kendal Briles will get a bump from Arkansas. Miss State was trying to hire him. Jeff Lebby at OU makes 1.8M Todd Monken makes 2M at UGA. I wouldn't be surprised if Longo at Wisconsin is in the 1.5-2M vicinity as well. So it is up there but not top 3.

2-23 record when trailing by a TD or more? That I didn't know about but it's not completely surprising if true. It's kind of like the triple option teams. If you run it so much then if you have the lead you can strangle your opponent but if you're down it's also hard to come back if you can't pass sufficiently.
Both the #3 highest as well as the 2-23 record when trailing by TD are points I read on these boards in different threads, so to be fair, they could be slightly incorrect if OP was wrong.

I knew, and I agree. Says a lot about Schiano's perception in the coaching community, huh ? He's a gift that keeps on giving. Even beyond his own salary Hobbs must be thrilled that he's paying Gleeson and now overpaying for this guy. Worse, Hobbs didn't want Schiano in the first place. It's a mess six ways 'til Sunday.

94289-I-did-not-know-that-gif-Rob-Lo-AvqX.gif
his daughter was a star soccer player for Rutgers, so there is a deeper connection to RU.
Crap..guess holding out for Belichek (sp) didn't pan out given his son's lax and long snapper linkage.

I said this yesterday after the Thamel tweet. I don’t know that KC is worth 1.5M but the fact that we’re able and willing to pay it is a statement in itself.
Hopefully he'll find a way to kick back a half mil to NIl and buy us a few players.
GS should also be kicking back cash for this. He got everything he wanted and still needs more to prop up his disaster of an offense.
When does HE just own it and/gtf out of the way?

More,more, more.. never enough. No wonder folks on the outside hate Rutgers when they see this stuff.

Last edited:
I would be shocked if coaches can contribute to NIL coffures. That would essentially be the same thing as the school paying directly, since the school could pay staff a raise or bonus (wink wink) for that purpose.

Sure it's a private money at that point but it would fail the smell test.

I knew, and I agree. Says a lot about Schiano's perception in the coaching community, huh ? He's a gift that keeps on giving. Even beyond his own salary Hobbs must be thrilled that he's paying Gleeson and now overpaying for this guy. Worse, Hobbs didn't want Schiano in the first place. It's a mess six ways 'til Sunday.
Hard to

I’ll try. We just took Minnesota’s OC. We didn’t have to hire an up-and-coming assistant to type hire. Just compare it to our last 4 OCs. It’s pathetic that people are complaining about this hire.
We didn’t “take” Minnesota’s OC , we gave him over a 60 percent raise ! My god . KC’s wife probably made him take this job because of that.
This all seems kinda ridiculous. His offense just scored a whopping 21 points against Syracuse !! Gleeson put up 17 last season
I mean he did have a 99 yard drive against us so I guess that means something.

We didn’t “take” Minnesota’s OC , we gave him over a 60 percent raise ! My god . KC’s wife probably made him take this job because of that.
This all seems kinda ridiculous. His offense just scored a whopping 21 points against Syracuse !! Gleeson put up 17 last season
I mean he did have a 99 yard drive against us so I guess that means something.
Is he leaving Minnesota and coming to RU? How many wins did Minnesota have last year? You are helping my argument. I mean you helped me point out that we took an OC from a winning P5 team. Thanks

Is he leaving Minnesota and coming to RU? How many wins did Minnesota have last year? You are helping my argument. I mean you helped me point out that we took an OC from a winning P5 team. Thanks
Jeez man . I am a big schiano fan, but even I can admit this is an underwhelming hire for many reasons

Maybe for you. I’m happy that we are no longer trying to get lucky on the next shiny toy. Give me someone with P5 OC experience from a winning program. I didn’t want another understudy of a good OC.
Huh ?? We haven’t often tried to get the shiny new toy. Gleeson had a good resume coming in and deemed a great hire.

Huh ?? We haven’t often tried to get the shiny new toy. Gleeson had a good resume coming in and deemed a great hire.
It was pointed out that he only had 1 yr of FBS OC experience. He was deemed a great hire by many because he represented a movement away from GS dinosaur football.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I also read we paid a 275K buyout for KC as well. Maybe not too big as buyouts go but I think that in addition to the 1.5M salary is something for us.

Do we know these numbers are correct?

From the article:

Ciarrocca signed a new contract with Minnesota on Dec. 8 and it started on Dec. 16, with a term to run through January 2026. He was earning $625,000 on his existing contract and would receive a raise to $1 million by the third year of the deal, according to a Pioneer Press data records request. The current buyout figure is $275,000.

Edit: A little less veracity than the articles in this thread but saw a twitter post that cited 247 saying it could be even over 1.5 and closer to 1.7 but we’ll have to wait and see for sure.

From the article:

Ciarrocca signed a new contract with Minnesota on Dec. 8 and it started on Dec. 16, with a term to run through January 2026. He was earning $625,000 on his existing contract and would receive a raise to $1 million by the third year of the deal, according to a Pioneer Press data records request. The current buyout figure is $275,000.

I mean the 1.5mm number

I mean the 1.5mm number
Well @Knight Shift first post in the thread states it, unless you think the source is not reliable. I edited the post above and from a less reliable source, I saw on twitter someone cite 247 where they said it could even be higher and around 1.7M. I guess we’ll find out in some time. I’m sure the the SL guys will have the details soon.

Well @Knight Shift first post in the thread states it, unless you think the source is not reliable. I edited the post above and from a less reliable source, I saw on twitter someone cite 247 where they said it could even be higher and around 1.7M. I guess we’ll find out in some time. I’m sure the the SL guys will have the details soon.
I do know that if you and I made this decision, we would not be dropping this much money.

I have never accepted a job for money alone. I counsel my own kids to pick the best and most interesting job over one with less desirable aspects but more money.

Regardless of our desire for an air raid OC, I like this hire because Kirk knows exactly what he is getting into. I'm guessing he and Greg had discussions about the level of OC control. Young hotshot Gleeson and Greg seemed like a bad match.

Reactions: rutgersguy1

looks like his son was at Monmouth in 2020 on the lax team and transferred to Penn State...Daughter started at Vandy , transferred/graduated from RU playing soccer and is an Editor at Rutgers Business Law Review... so maybe he wanted to come back to the east coast give the opportunity after signing extension in early December with Minny

looks like his son was at Monmouth in 2020 on the lax team and transferred to Penn State...Daughter started at Vandy , transferred/graduated from RU playing soccer and is an Editor at Rutgers Business Law Review... so maybe he wanted to come back to the east coast give the opportunity after signing extension in early December with Minny
He wanted the 60 percent raise !

it's not the perception of Schiano. It's the perception of the school and cheap ass fanbase's lack of commitment to big time football. Why do you think we ended up with Ash in the first place? He was the only one that wanted the job.

Reactions: Kbee3
That’s ridiculous. There is never a shortage of interested candidates for P5 jobs that pay millions. Ash was a poor choice, but only in hindsight

Reactions: yesrutgers01
https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2018/10/who_wants_this_job_thats_the_25_million_question_a.html

Remember: Several of the biggest names on the coaching carrousel when Ash was hired -- Dino Babers (Syracuse) and Jeff Brohm (Purdue), for starters -- didn't even want to interview for this job.
Politi is such a tool. He spelled carrousel wrong! That UNC edukkattion going to good use!!

And this?

"Utter disasters: Rex Ryan. Mike Leach.I love the fans convinced that the former Jets coach is the answer. Ryan would never work hard enough to get the job done, and even if he did, he would break 25 NCAA rules within a first month and a half of walking into the building. The press conferences, though ... he'd win them. Leach, the controversial Washington State coach, falls under this category, too."

Really, when did Leach ever have NCAA issues?

Politi is such a tool. He spelled carrousel wrong! That UNC edukkattion going to good use!!

And this?

"Utter disasters: Rex Ryan. Mike Leach.I love the fans convinced that the former Jets coach is the answer. Ryan would never work hard enough to get the job done, and even if he did, he would break 25 NCAA rules within a first month and a half of walking into the building. The press conferences, though ... he'd win them. Leach, the controversial Washington State coach, falls under this category, too."

Really, when did Leach ever have NCAA issues?
Yeah, I'm not posting that for his opinions, just as documentation of lack of interest in 2016. It was pretty well known at the time. When Ash was fired the only interviews other than Schiano were Butch Jones and BIg Bert, who was really only keeping up appearances to keep his Arkansas contract paying.

ADVERTISEMENT