ADVERTISEMENT

Two games in a row, we refused to take away the three point shot and lost as a result

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Seriously ...for the second game in a row, we let a team get off half of their shots in a half court game from three....with disaster being the end result

They got 36 of 68 points from three ....

The way you stop that is getting out 27 feet from the basket and defend line crazy and make them put the ball not the floor and make them pass the ball to the post .

After a torrid start from 2.. (they were 7 of their first 8 from two), they went on to onky make 3 of 16 from two....but because we didn’t defend the three line again, we didn’t get them to have that 3-5 minute scoring drought that you neee to reverse a 20 point deficit

We are not a high scoring team and we really neee to focus on forcing our opponent to shoot twos....otherwise , more often than not , we will get ourscored

Three point shots

Michigan , Nebraska , at penn state ...all 18 attempts and under

Last four games. ...24-27 attempts

That's the number that needs to change

And We were very close to losing the last four .....

Got to keep teams from shooting the three ...can’t make them if they can’t attempt them

Reactions: rubigtimenow
i will add that Iowa did get some open looks at times as well from Bohannon but they missed

In other games RU would disrupt and force quicker shots from 3...vs Purdue and Iowa, I have not seen that the past 2 games.

Fats and Ayala 3-15 G1. 10-17 G2

Were their looks any better tonight? I couldn’t watch G 1. I am going to guess not.

that is your game

Shack great points, but those two shot lights out especially on contested threes.

Were their looks any better tonight? I couldn’t watch G 1. I am going to guess not.

that is your game

Rutgers played great defense in that 2nd game and turned Maryland over

looking at the second half in a vaccum, RU probably outplayed Maryland...if that was the first half you would be optimistic that RU could pull out the game. Ebbs and flows but pretty even. Our defense showed up in the 2nd at times although they gave some open 3s

Reactions: ru2bur
Maryland played 3-2 zone much of the first half and we had no answer with inside scoring. Expect to see a lot of that going forward.

For the most part we closed out well on their outside passing and shooting but they were just too hot from 3. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to the other team.

Reactions: Groz
Two even teams that split the series.

Each fan base is convinced they "gave the loss away," but I don't think its that complicated...

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Seriously ...for the second game in a row, we let a team get off half of their shots in a half court game from three....with disaster being the end result

The way you stop that is getting out 27 feet from the basket and defend line crazy and make them put the ball not the floor and make them pass the ball to the post .

After a torrid start from 2.. (they were 7 of their first 8 from two), they went on to onky make 3 of 16 from two....but because we didn’t defend the three line again, we didn’t get them to have that 3-5 minute scoring drought that you neee to reverse a 20 point deficit

We are not a high scoring team and we really neee to focus on forcing our opponent to shoot twos....otherwise , more often than not , we will get ourscored
A few of their 3 pointers were 6-7 feet behind the 3 point line. We didn't let them get off their shots uncontested, Maryland was making their shots from everywhere and without hesitation.

that is your game

We let Ayala take 10 3PA in that game, too. He's only taken as many as 9 threes 6 times this year, and twice against us. When he's gotten up at least 9 threes, he's been 25/51 (.490)... coming into last night, he was 20/42 in those games.

Meanwhile, Russell's gotten up at least 5 threes 6 times this year, and twice against us. In those games, he's 12/38 (.316)... coming into last night he was 7/30 in those games.

Fatts just had a good night - no issues with forcing him to shoot from deep. Ayala makes his bones out there, and no real reason to let him take above his average number of attempts

Reactions: KnightTerrors
We let Ayala take 10 3PA in that game, too. He's only taken as many as 9 threes 6 times this year, and twice against us. When he's gotten up at least 9 threes, he's been 25/51 (.490)... coming into last night, he was 20/42 in those games.

Meanwhile, Russell's gotten up at least 5 threes 6 times this year, and twice against us. In those games, he's 12/38 (.316)... coming into last night he was 7/30 in those games.

Fatts just had a good night - no issues with forcing him to shoot from deep. Ayala makes his bones out there, and no real reason to let him take above his average number of attempts
That is spot on.

Was too disappointed to post last night as I took a look and all the knuckleheads that disappeared for 3 weeks returned . But Shack’s post is pretty accurate. I posted the individual statistics in a thread with Flux just 4-5 days ago and it bears repeating.
In wins against Clemson (4-18);Purdue(7-26);Michigan (3-15);Nebraska(6-18);Maryland first game (6-25): Iowa (6-27) , we at most gave up 7 makes even with teams taking 27,26 and 25 attempts.

In losses to UMASS (16-32): also fouled 2x and made 5-6 foul shots so effectively 18-32; DePaul 9-24; Lafayette (7-18, but fouled 3 times and they made 8-9 foul shots , so effectively 10-18; Minnesota (13-24);Maryland 2nd game (12-25); and although it didn’t matter because it was a total no show , Illinois ( 12-33), we gave up between effectively 9-16/ 18 three point makes. Plus we allowed in some of the games the other team to attempt their season high. Flux thought that attempts allowed are a bigger problem but I disagreed because Purdue , Iowa and 1st Maryland they put up 26,27 and 25 and we still won.
My conclusion was a simple one which was to hold the other team to 7 or less 3 point makes and we have a high likelihood to win those games. The harder question is how to do it. These last 2 games against Minnesota and Maryland might have a lot of people just tipping your hat to the opponents that shot 13-24(54%) and 12-25(49%) and say they were just too hot and not sure what else Rutgers could have done to change things. There is some merit to that thought as Ayala hit one from 33 feet and Willis hit 2 from like 30 feet out . But the counter to the tip of the hat is that Rutgers did not enough to disrupt the rhythm and flow of Willis and maybe some will say the same for Ayala and Fatts Russell last night.

The most damning statistic to me is that Minnesota’s 2 guards Willis shot 11-17 and 8-13 from 3 and Loewe shot 8-14 and 3-5 from 3 and combined for 51 of their 68 points and Ayala shot 8-13 and 5-9 from three and Fatts shot 7-16 and 5-8 from 3 and combined for 45 of their 68 points . A quick look and the Minnesota and Maryland guards outplayed our guards as Geo had 25 toWillis 32 and Loewe had 19 to Paul and Caleb 12 (7 and 5) ; and Ayala had 23 to Geo ‘s 16 and Fatts had 22 to Caleb and Paul’s 11( Caleb 11 , Paul 0) .

Quick conclusion; Our guards got outplayed and were outshot either because of luck, hot shooting , failure to deny them the ball, not enough pressure in their face or failure to disrupt their rhythm or a combination of all of the above . Maryland is distressing as you just held them to 6-25 from 3 ten days ago and they got 12-25 last night as Ayala was 3-10 from 3 and 5-15 overall and Fatts was 0-5 and 2-11 overall in the first game.

Final solution; Do not give up more than 7 threes a game , have the guards pick up the other teams guards at half court , stay tight on them , which might let them penetrate more but our scrambling defense will have to recover and if you give up 2 instead of 3 it is okay. Watching the other team drain 3’s like they were layups was a hopeless feeling and a punch to the gut but you have to just take the three away if we are going to recover this year.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Our problem was more on the offensive side. Caleb alone making 30%+ would have made us tied with Maryland. Harper was mostly below par. Miller has no offense. We again missed a lot of bunnies, no one was rebounding , and we chucked a lot of 3’s without any attempt to get inside. A decent offensive game would have won for us in spite of their hot 3 shooting.

Reactions: Kbee3
Our problem was more on the offensive side. Caleb alone making 30%+ would have made us tied with Maryland. Harper was mostly below par. Miller has no offense. We again missed a lot of bunnies, no one was rebounding , and we chucked a lot of 3’s without any attempt to get inside. A decent offensive game would have won for us in spite of their hot 3 shooting.
Not saying offense was not the problem but that was a 12-16 lead for most of the second half because of 3’s made at a higher than normal rate. Plus when you play great defense and a late 3 is made on the shot clock or you get a stop finally and the three rebounds long and you do not corral it and they hit a 3 off that rebound , it mentally is a gut punch that puts more pressure on you on the offensive end., so I am not discounting that.
Now our 2 point shooting has been bad against Iowa, Minnesota and Maryland , where it wasn’t during the 4 game win streak so that has to improve , but we were not winning this game with the way Fatts and Ayala shot especially from 3.

i will add that Iowa did get some open looks at times as well from Bohannon but they missed

In other games RU would disrupt and force quicker shots from 3...vs Purdue and Iowa, I have not seen that the past 2 games.
agreed we defended the 3 against Purdue, we didn't drop off of our men and hedge on defense and that is why we beat Purdue against these other teams except Iowa although as you said we did give some wide open looks and they were missed but that is why we won; in most of the games we lost, lets forget about our offense we lost because we gave up way too many 3 pinters and wide open ones at that

We used to hard hedge on screens. Not sure if we are protecting cliff here but it’s not working.

Reactions: Scangg
We used to hard hedge on screens. Not sure if we are protecting cliff here but it’s not working.
Well, we're not hedging at all this year. Instead, we are allowing the screen but hoping the defender can get over and around it. Or we are just switching. It's all worked in some games, but failed miserably in the last two games, as Willis/Loewe and Russell/Ayala were all ON FIRE.

The primary issue last night was offensive incompetence, and, yes, difficulty defending the perimeter.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
I am wondering if the Minnesota game provided a clue for offense against Caleb.. that is.. he spreads wide.. cutting down the passing lanes and ability to drive around him.. but that makes him slower to react to a quickly launched three. Russel was not worried about being blocked on his threes with the much taller Caleb on him.

Byt even with open threes.. these guys hit a ridiculous percentage, 2 games in a row.

I am wondering if the Minnesota game provided a clue for offense against Caleb.. that is.. he spreads wide.. cutting down the passing lanes and ability to drive around him.. but that makes him slower to react to a quickly launched three. Russel was not worried about being blocked on his threes with the much taller Caleb on him.

Byt even with open threes.. these guys hit a ridiculous percentage, 2 games in a row.
Caleb isn't the same playere he was 2-3 years ago.Injuries has impacted his performance,

that is your game
If anything, his looks were better in game one. He and Russell just made an unusual number of shots where they were well defended. It is a shame that these last two games saw so much of this.

I'll bet if you compare plays run and shots taken by Willis 8-13 and Loewe 3-5(11-18), they will look alot like the plays run and shots taken by Fats 5-8 and Ayala 5-9(10-17).

I'll bet if you compare plays run and shots taken by Willis 8-13 and Loewe 3-5(11-18), they will look alot like the plays run and shots taken by Fats 5-8 and Ayala 5-9(10-17).
Not true. Fatts hit 2 threes when we lost him in transition and that gave him early confidence. He hit a back breaker after we finally got a stop but there was a long rebound that Reese or Hart corralled and dished back out to Fatts. His other 2 were reasonably defended but he just backed up and drained them. So none of them were similar to Loewe.
Ayala was closer to Willis. He hit 1 from 33 feet and Willis hit 2 from 30 feet on just chuck shots. Lucky they went down . Now Ayala and Willis hit 2 tough ones coming off screens and both were well defended. Willis hit a number on switches , one over Mag and either one or two over Ron. I did not think Ayala got any on switches.

Not sure that Cliff has the experience or understanding how to recover from this. If other guys have to protect the roll the corner three is open.

Not sure that Cliff has the experience or understanding how to recover from this. If other guys have to protect the roll the corner three is open.
Could be. Something that seems pretty simple but in practice can be difficult to execute

Could be. Something that seems pretty simple but in practice can be difficult to execute
For a few games when he was first inserted into the lineup , Miller would be picking up the other guard full court but definitely as soon as he passed half court. He would get up on the guard and try like heck to not get screened and prevent the ball screen that killed us at Penn State and at Minnesota.

I think Geo or Caleb has to do the same. Stop letting the team run their offense by not pressuring the point guard as it has bit us in the ass for Penn State , Minnesota and Maryland and I am sure earlier as well ( UMASS ) Fernandez killed us with the ball screen. If Pike doesn’t start doing it to start the game , then if it is working against us , then he makes an adjustment and does it in game. He cannot just hope a team that starts knocking it down will cool off enough to allow us to come all the way back.

Was too disappointed to post last night as I took a look and all the knuckleheads that disappeared for 3 weeks returned . But Shack’s post is pretty accurate. I posted the individual statistics in a thread with Flux just 4-5 days ago and it bears repeating.
In wins against Clemson (4-18);Purdue(7-26);Michigan (3-15);Nebraska(6-18);Maryland first game (6-25): Iowa (6-27) , we at most gave up 7 makes even with teams taking 27,26 and 25 attempts.

In losses to UMASS (16-32): also fouled 2x and made 5-6 foul shots so effectively 18-32; DePaul 9-24; Lafayette (7-18, but fouled 3 times and they made 8-9 foul shots , so effectively 10-18; Minnesota (13-24);Maryland 2nd game (12-25); and although it didn’t matter because it was a total no show , Illinois ( 12-33), we gave up between effectively 9-16/ 18 three point makes. Plus we allowed in some of the games the other team to attempt their season high. Flux thought that attempts allowed are a bigger problem but I disagreed because Purdue , Iowa and 1st Maryland they put up 26,27 and 25 and we still won.
My conclusion was a simple one which was to hold the other team to 7 or less 3 point makes and we have a high likelihood to win those games. The harder question is how to do it. These last 2 games against Minnesota and Maryland might have a lot of people just tipping your hat to the opponents that shot 13-24(54%) and 12-25(49%) and say they were just too hot and not sure what else Rutgers could have done to change things. There is some merit to that thought as Ayala hit one from 33 feet and Willis hit 2 from like 30 feet out . But the counter to the tip of the hat is that Rutgers did not enough to disrupt the rhythm and flow of Willis and maybe some will say the same for Ayala and Fatts Russell last night.

The most damning statistic to me is that Minnesota’s 2 guards Willis shot 11-17 and 8-13 from 3 and Loewe shot 8-14 and 3-5 from 3 and combined for 51 of their 68 points and Ayala shot 8-13 and 5-9 from three and Fatts shot 7-16 and 5-8 from 3 and combined for 45 of their 68 points . A quick look and the Minnesota and Maryland guards outplayed our guards as Geo had 25 toWillis 32 and Loewe had 19 to Paul and Caleb 12 (7 and 5) ; and Ayala had 23 to Geo ‘s 16 and Fatts had 22 to Caleb and Paul’s 11( Caleb 11 , Paul 0) .

Quick conclusion; Our guards got outplayed and were outshot either because of luck, hot shooting , failure to deny them the ball, not enough pressure in their face or failure to disrupt their rhythm or a combination of all of the above . Maryland is distressing as you just held them to 6-25 from 3 ten days ago and they got 12-25 last night as Ayala was 3-10 from 3 and 5-15 overall and Fatts was 0-5 and 2-11 overall in the first game.

Final solution; Do not give up more than 7 threes a game , have the guards pick up the other teams guards at half court , stay tight on them , which might let them penetrate more but our scrambling defense will have to recover and if you give up 2 instead of 3 it is okay. Watching the other team drain 3’s like they were layups was a hopeless feeling and a punch to the gut but you have to just take the three away if we are going to recover this year.
Wow did not realize we put 3 point shooters on the line against umass too. So two of our worst losses probably avoided if we don’t foul on 3 point shots. What a shame.

Wow did not realize we put 3 point shooters on the line against umass too. So two of our worst losses probably avoided if we don’t foul on 3 point shots. What a shame.
Oscar did it twice in that game . We were doing it a lot early like in the Lehigh, Lafayette and NJIT games too. I think it was 4-5 games we did it. Thankfully we have stopped doing it the last few ( although some posters are probably saying we should be doing it again after Minnesota and Maryland guards torched us . LOL. )

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT