ADVERTISEMENT

Ughhly Loss

Wait...someone QUIT the team before our NCAA tournament appearance? SMDH

I’d love to hear the defenders on this one.

Nah. I admit I don't have all the details and can't confirm how or why this happened. But, from where I stand, this is a bad look for Calhoun. If things were so bad for her, why wait until just before your team makes it's first NCAA appearance in several years to quit? It creates the impression that she has no respect for her teammates, let alone the coaching staff.

I don't know what would make a player walk off like that, but I do hope her health is alright and that it wasn't some unfortunate event in her personal life that caused this. We may never know. I have concerns and questions about CVS and wish there were some things that she would do better with this program, but I'm more likely to defend her than not. I just don't know how this would automatically be her fault, as you seem to imply.

Reactions: bac2therac
Wow...you’re actually attempting to spin this??
My answer
no spin, but you can claim I am if you ignore what is turning into a trend of players leaving their teams before the season ends to get ready for the next phase ( no matter what that might be) they plan for their life.
You're seeing a lot of that from college football players that won't p[lay in their teams bowl games fearing an injury that might drop down their draft stock or a player with a great shot to be a top draft choice get ready for the draft instead of returning to his team in the regular season after healing from an injury suffered in the beginning of season.

Now answer my question, (nah, you probably know what it would be about [roll])

My answer
no spin, but you can claim I am if you ignore what is turning into a trend of players leaving their teams before the season ends to get ready for the next phase ( no matter what that might be) they plan for their life.
You're seeing a lot of that from college football players that won't p[lay in their teams bowl games fearing an injury that might drop down their draft stock or a player with a great shot to be a top draft choice get ready for the draft instead of returning to his team in the regular season after healing from an injury suffered in the beginning of season.

Now answer my question, (nah, you probably know what it would be about [roll])

What question?

Actually, if you look above, I clearly state that I am not a fan of college football players doing this, for bowl games, but I’ve yet to see a single basketball player skipping a NCAA tournament game as such. Just disgusting, selfish, and a tad arrogant by this young lady, in my humble opinion

Nah. I admit I don't have all the details and can't confirm how or why this happened. But, from where I stand, this is a bad look for Calhoun. If things were so bad for her, why wait until just before your team makes it's first NCAA appearance in several years to quit? It creates the impression that she has no respect for her teammates, let alone the coaching staff.

I don't know what would make a player walk off like that, but I do hope her health is alright and that it wasn't some unfortunate event in her personal life that caused this. We may never know. I have concerns and questions about CVS and wish there were some things that she would do better with this program, but I'm more likely to defend her than not. I just don't know how this would automatically be her fault, as you seem to imply.
I tend to think she just wants to get ready for the WNBA , due to hearing she wants to move on to the next phase in her life as the reason why leaving.
But it could be health, something personal happened or any other reason besides the scenario I'm tending towards .

What you posted makes me think it's better not to judge Sierra on my speculation and give her the benefit of doubt for why she left at such an inopportune time, instead of being part of the team playing in an important game . Without knowing why she left, I shouldn't accuse Calhoun of leaving for selfish reasons.
But will be disappointed that she left when she did , unless find out there was good reason for her leaving when she did

Reactions: KevH
What question?

Actually, if you look above, I clearly state that I am not a fan of college football players doing this, for bowl games, but I’ve yet to see a single basketball player skipping a NCAA tournament game as such. Just disgusting, selfish, and a tad arrogant by this young lady, in my humble opinion
sorry so used to seeing you knock the program after a loss and post more often when that happens than after a win , I took what you said :>"Wait...someone QUIT the team before our NCAA tournament appearance? SMDH
I’d love to hear the defenders on this one."<
as implying it was the programs fault and not just stating your thoughts about Calhoun leaving was a terrible thing to do by her.

When I get something wrong I try to correct it, when I take what someone posts the wrong way I feel its better to apologize for that mistake than ignore how I treated someone in a reply.

Reactions: KevH
sorry so used to seeing you knock the program after a loss and post more often when that happens than after a win , I took what you said :>"Wait...someone QUIT the team before our NCAA tournament appearance? SMDH
I’d love to hear the defenders on this one."<
as implying it was the programs fault and not just stating your thoughts about Calhoun leaving was a terrible thing to do by her.

When I get something wrong I try to correct it, when I take what someone posts the wrong way I feel its better to apologize for that mistake than ignore how I treated someone in a reply.

Nice to see in these times. [thumb2]

How many years has the team been forced to play without a full roster of scholarship players? Injuries, suspensions, kicked off/quitting the team are recurring problems. The lack of emphasis on 3pt shooters has also not allowed us to get over the hump.
I agree get ready they are going to call you a hater when you’re a realist who sees the situation this team is in and a change is needed!!!

43 Wins and an NCAA /NIT Touney Spots in 2 years…...FIRE C VIV !!!!!!!!!!!

LOL LOL LOL.

What a bunch of morons.

Did any of you geniuses listen to Hobb's Podcast 2 days ago? Do you have a clue about Stringer's contract extension?

I didn't think so.

Great Recruiting class coming in....Let's Fire C Viv !

LOLLOLOL

Last edited:
REALLY? So you don’t find losing by 11, after being up by 12 (late in the 3rd IIRC), and being outscored by 13 in the fourth quarter, “particularly awful”?? Let me guess: you’re a fan of “participation trophies,” too, lol??

Anyway what’s even worse is that I was in a Hoboken bar packed with people watching the NCAA men’s tournament and they actually put two TVs, out of maybe 30, on our game when we were up in the third quarter. I knew a bunch of alumni who happened to be in the bar, as well, and watching what transpired over the next half hour - with other people who either are not Scarlet Knights - or are just typical New Jerseyans who like to rip on our athletic programs - made it even worse. That was, in a word, pathetic.
No - the 4th quarter was a disgrace. If I was to judge the team by that quarter, most of them would be losing their scholarship - especially whoever it was that through 3 of the same dopey pass to the opponents practically in a row.

But i don't judge the team and the season by that quarter, because I realize all the issues that contributed to it.

I'm going to say something I have never said on this board - I am disappointed in the success that Rutgers has had since their Final Four appearance. Some of that was due to poor recruiting, some of that was due to Vivian being who she is, some of it has little to actually do with the team, some of it (injuries, illnesses) was just bad luck. Disappointed, not mad. And on average, not convinced that a coaching change would have made a huge difference.

In spite of everyone trying to deny it, this year was better than last year - and who knows how it would have gone without suspensions and dismissals and the head coach missing?

Even though CVS cannot recruit as well as she once did (and no, she can't) she has stepped it up and isn't getting chopped liver either. I dread what recruits RU will get without her, unless they choose when the time comes to go after an expensive, experienced and successful coach from a major program.

Apples and oranges... comparing Calhoun to players who, in football and basketball, were just about guaranteed to not only become pros, but to be high draft picks. To compare Calhoun to one of the best to ever wear Scarlet is laughable in both their contributions to the program and the way they left the program.
Just to be clear - I don't think football players skipping bowl games or players quitting on teams is appropriate. Some folks do. Probably some folks have no problem with Calhoun. I am unhappy, although there is not one thing I can do about it. I had no huge problem with Prince, as she didn't quit mid-season and was a huge contributor while she was here.

I was just explaining the "syndrome" of players who quit near the end of seasons. Tells you everything you need to know about their commitment.

Reactions: RUClassof67
No - the 4th quarter was a disgrace. If I was to judge the team by that quarter, most of them would be losing their scholarship - especially whoever it was that through 3 of the same dopey pass to the opponents practically in a row.

But i don't judge the team and the season by that quarter, because I realize all the issues that contributed to it.

I'm going to say something I have never said on this board - I am disappointed in the success that Rutgers has had since their Final Four appearance. Some of that was due to poor recruiting, some of that was due to Vivian being who she is, some of it has little to actually do with the team, some of it (injuries, illnesses) was just bad luck. Disappointed, not mad. And on average, not convinced that a coaching change would have made a huge difference.

In spite of everyone trying to deny it, this year was better than last year - and who knows how it would have gone without suspensions and dismissals and the head coach missing?

Even though CVS cannot recruit as well as she once did (and no, she can't) she has stepped it up and isn't getting chopped liver either. I dread what recruits RU will get without her, unless they choose when the time comes to go after an expensive, experienced and successful coach from a major program.
Fair and balanced commentary regarding the womens basketball team .The off court drama needs to end and Stringer must do what is best for her and family health wise. Rutgers clearly needs better internal controls monitoring player behavior for all sports.

There has been too much drama around the program. Some that could not be avoided...some that could. For the health of the program and the health of CVS hard questions need. We do not want to have repeats. Also key stat...10 years and only 2 ncaa tournament wins

Reactions: shields
REALLY? So you don’t find losing by 11, after being up by 12 (late in the 3rd IIRC), and being outscored by 13 in the fourth quarter, “particularly awful”?? Let me guess: you’re a fan of “participation trophies,” too, lol??

Anyway what’s even worse is that I was in a Hoboken bar packed with people watching the NCAA men’s tournament and they actually put two TVs, out of maybe 30, on our game when we were up in the third quarter. I knew a bunch of alumni who happened to be in the bar, as well, and watching what transpired over the next half hour - with other people who either are not Scarlet Knights - or are just typical New Jerseyans who like to rip on our athletic programs - made it even worse. That was, in a word, pathetic.

With the money they are paying CVIV they can easily get a top coach for what they are paying her and you won’t increase their budget so it won’t be like football where if Ash fails this year and we have to buy him out and hire a new coach it’s going to cost millions

With the money they are paying CVIV they can easily get a top coach for what they are paying her and you won’t increase their budget so it won’t be like football where if Ash fails this year and we have to buy him out and hire a new coach it’s going to cost millions
Please stop. Enough already. We all know your views on replacing CVS. You are always MIA when we win and posting the same old same old when we lose. As for Ash failing, well some fans say that has already happened. He is paid a lot to not win a conference game in two of his three seasons and he has had problem players and high staff turnover. Recruiting is also down. So why not go over to the football board and criticize him and those who structured his deal? I don't think his record compared to CVS's is in anyway favorable for him.

Reactions: Abro1975
Please stop. Enough already. We all know your views on replacing CVS. You are always MIA when we win and posting the same old same old when we lose. As for Ash failing, well some fans say that has already happened. He is paid a lot to not win a conference game in two of his three seasons and he has had problem players and high staff turnover. Recruiting is also down. So why not go over to the football board and criticize him and those who structured his deal? I don't think his record compared to CVS's is in anyway favorable for him.
Have you been to the football board? You can pretty much count the Ash supporters on one hand.

Reactions: scarlettb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT