ADVERTISEMENT

Upcoming Season

I can't speak for anyone else but have a sense of anticipation and excitement for the season that hasn't been there in quite a while. Very optimistic for this season, just need the ball to bounce our way a bit.

Absolutely agree. This is reminiscent of going into the 2005 season: the 2004 season had flatlined after the car accident following the Temple game which deprived us of 3 DB's. But the potential was apparent particularly after the way 2004 started out.

Injury free and I agree.

Completely agree with this: that was what made the 2006 season so successful.

I agree.

If we can truly have two vertical threats and an underneath threat (either a TE or a slot) in the passing game, and run the ball as we have in the past our offense should be poised to be a B+ level system.

Defensively if we can consistently create pressure, and continue to force turnovers they can be top 25 nationally.

Special teams have been consistent, and explosive in the blocking game, but we are a true PR/KR away from being special on special teams.

This team could win 10 games if all the things fall how they could.

Great to feel optimistic about the upcoming season again.
I feel it will be a good one and the beginning of better ones.
I'm looking for a 2012 or 2014 type record but with the type of play and coaching that builds
a fans confidence in the players and coaches.

Reactions: RUPete
last year felt a lot 2005...Funny thing is...2005 didn't feel like too much of a big deal to me as I was not a fan prior to 2005 and fit into the "What is a Rutgers?" Prior to Kevin deciding to play here- I had still been living in upstate NY so had no idea of the history. 2005 happened, Rutgers made a bowl, the whole season was a blast and then 2006 came along...I just felt that this was the normal hahahahaha

My feel this year- it could turn into a 2006 type of year or it could be a 2007. Health is going to be a key as will...how much the other teams have either improved or downgraded. We all realize this is an easier schedule than most other years but what is missed, is that it is still tough. We didn't go from a team that was favored only in 3-4 games to a team that will be favored in 8 games. The easier schedule only means that in our 3 hardest games- we will only be 10 pt underdogs and not 25+ points.

Now- when talking about some of our units...saw the OL mentioned with teams like 2006...that is about as hard as a comparison as there could be- that OL was in the top 5 of college football. Our 2024 team is greatly improved and coached well but...

We also have the B1G returning top RB...2006- we sort of had guys named Rice/Leonard. We had a solid, proven TE...what is a possible good comparison my be WR...Yes, Underwood/Britt/Brown were there but they were the unproven kids at that point. I think that is where we are now at WR- would love to see 3 of them become that group of 3 over the next few years.

Defense - we just have a very good group right now. 2006 team had a lot of NFL players and even the DL had some game breakers- but the DL was undersized. Our current team is long and quick at DB, Solid bodies at LB and we have much larger DL then we had in those days.

I worry a ton about ST's- We need a trusted game breaker on returns.

The schedule is also in our favor, especially without the three near automatic losses this season.

last year felt a lot 2005...Funny thing is...2005 didn't feel like too much of a big deal to me as I was not a fan prior to 2005 and fit into the "What is a Rutgers?" Prior to Kevin deciding to play here- I had still been living in upstate NY so had no idea of the history. 2005 happened, Rutgers made a bowl, the whole season was a blast and then 2006 came along...I just felt that this was the normal hahahahaha

My feel this year- it could turn into a 2006 type of year or it could be a 2007. Health is going to be a key as will...how much the other teams have either improved or downgraded. We all realize this is an easier schedule than most other years but what is missed, is that it is still tough. We didn't go from a team that was favored only in 3-4 games to a team that will be favored in 8 games. The easier schedule only means that in our 3 hardest games- we will only be 10 pt underdogs and not 25+ points.

Now- when talking about some of our units...saw the OL mentioned with teams like 2006...that is about as hard as a comparison as there could be- that OL was in the top 5 of college football. Our 2024 team is greatly improved and coached well but...

We also have the B1G returning top RB...2006- we sort of had guys named Rice/Leonard. We had a solid, proven TE...what is a possible good comparison my be WR...Yes, Underwood/Britt/Brown were there but they were the unproven kids at that point. I think that is where we are now at WR- would love to see 3 of them become that group of 3 over the next few years.

Defense - we just have a very good group right now. 2006 team had a lot of NFL players and even the DL had some game breakers- but the DL was undersized. Our current team is long and quick at DB, Solid bodies at LB and we have much larger DL then we had in those days.

I worry a ton about ST's- We need a trusted game breaker on returns.
You are clearly too rational to be here! Agree easier schedule but still hard and can lose more games than people expect. In the games we won last year, say what you want about him but our QB had no/low turn overs.

We need the same as far as turnovers. We seem to have legit improved WRs so should be able to move the ball better through the air which can open things up.

Looking forward to this year as well but everyone should be more realistic about our rough schedule even though easier!

Beating VT on the road will be a real key to a successful season. Do that and 9 + wins will be the target.
I believe it happens for all the things mentioned above, but also we will be more successful with 3rd down passes to keep the sticks moving. The RB's room is very, very deep.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT