ADVERTISEMENT

US Lacrosse Ranks R #15 to Start the Season

Fair based on last year but there is no question in my mind, provided we don't lose key guys to injury, that we are going to finish much higher.
From "your lips' brotha! Because we all know that #15 nationally likely leaves us out in the cold come NCAA time.

Pumped for the season. Lots of solid pieces and expectations are high.

Cracks my up that folks will say it's a weak schedule, when we have on the schedule 4 teams currently ranked in the top 10, including 2 in the top 5. Overall, have 6 currently in that US Lacrosse top 15.

Whoever is saying that doesn't know anything about lacrosse. Even our so called cupcake games will be against teams that will make noise in their conferences.

I don't think the poster saying that was too off base in that I think his main point was that the ACC still deservedly holds a ton of clout and our schedule does not check that box. His W/L prediction also seemed fair to me. But his tone is definitely of the axe-to-grind type. Can't wait for the season. My only regret (as a fan) is that we don't go to West Point or Princeton this year since I love visiting both.

At the end of the day, we will have a very solid RPI like we always do now.

Acc teams are overrated. We will see what Syracuse has (who dropped our series btw), UNC, meh, Uva, Duke, and ND will most certainly be solid.

The Big Ten has 6 legit teams now. Top to bottom it will prove to be a better league this year.

At the end of the day, we will have a very solid RPI like we always do now.

Acc teams are overrated. We will see what Syracuse has (who dropped our series btw), UNC, meh, Uva, Duke, and ND will most certainly be solid.

The Big Ten has 6 legit teams now. Top to bottom it will prove to be a better league this year.

As I said before this, the schedule is not weak, but replacing Hofstra with either Penn or Yale would boost the potential RPI given who is doing the voting. To me, the great unknown going into the season is how well all these transfers mesh into the teams they are joining. Success based solely on talent doesn't necessarily happen.

Fair based on last year but there is no question in my mind, provided we don't lose key guys to injury, that we are going to finish much higher.
If I'm being honest, the pre-season rankings never seem "fair" to me, and programs like Rutgers usually get no respect, for no reason I can see. On the flip side, My Terrapins always get treated like a top team including many times when I think it's unwarranted. If one looked at last season's results, there's no reason I can see to put them in the Top 5.

But I respect that you manned up and didn't complain about it, ha ha...

Last edited:
Sometime

If I'm being honest, the pre-season rankings never seem "fair" to me, and programs like Rutgers usually get no respect, for no reason I can see. On the flip side, My Terrapins always get treated like a top team including many times when I think it's unwarranted. If one looked at last season's results, there's no reason I can see to put them in the Top 5.

Not just Rutgers. Ohio St. isn't ranked and they picked up a lot of quality transfers and had a good recruiting class. But apparently only Duke, Notre Dame and Syracuse will get major benefit.

I actually like it. Fuels the team.

I have a lot of respect for Maryland. Their success speaks for itself. It's hard not to put them in the mix, and until I see them not in the mix, I wouldn't do it. They don't have that squad they had two years ago which makes them beatable. Like any team. That squad they had two years ago, no. No one would beat that team under any conditions.

I will go out on a limb which I rarely do. I think this the year we get the Maryland monkey off of our back.

Completely OT, but I'm trying to kill time listening to a long presentation, but any favorite games over the past couple of years, outside the playoffs? Thinking that first game against PSU in 2021, coming out of COVID, snow still on the ground, AC great game, Connor Kirst looking like the real deal. After that win thinking the team could be something special. Course the next game where they destroyed OSU wasn't too bad.

Reactions: mattkamish
There are a bunch but I think back to those early days with Cristian Scarpello, a young Jules, Beida, and so many others.

The light bulb first went off off when we played Army during that time. I believe the game was at Army. We had just transitioned to this run and gun uptempo style. We blew out a couple of cup cakes but it was what we did to Army that day where the light bulb went off. This system works. I believe that was the year we boat races Hopkins twice and made the B1G championship game.

I’m close with a number of kids but some of those guys are my favorite players. They laid the foundation that the Kiirst led teams took to the stratosphere. Certainly beating OSU when they were number 2 and made the NCAA championship game was huge. The UNC game, even
in a loss, you just got that feeling we’d be back. It gave the team a lot of confidence moving forward.

Many to choose from but those come to mind immediately.

There are a bunch but I think back to those early days with Cristian Scarpello, a young Jules, Beida, and so many others.

The light bulb first went off off when we played Army during that time. I believe the game was at Army. We had just transitioned to this run and gun uptempo style. We blew out a couple of cup cakes but it was what we did to Army that day where the light bulb went off. This system works. I believe that was the year we boat races Hopkins twice and made the B1G championship game.

I’m close with a number of kids but some of those guys are my favorite players. They laid the foundation that the Kiirst led teams took to the stratosphere. Certainly beating OSU when they were number 2 and made the NCAA championship game was huge. The UNC game, even
in a loss, you just got that feeling we’d be back. It gave the team a lot of confidence moving forward.

Many to choose from but those come to mind immediately.
That OSU game, that was a good game. Sad the conference had the cutoff back then for making the conference tourney. Kind of think if we had one more game that year...

Reactions: Caliknight
Completely OT, but I'm trying to kill time listening to a long presentation, but any favorite games over the past couple of years, outside the playoffs? Thinking that first game against PSU in 2021, coming out of COVID, snow still on the ground, AC great game, Connor Kirst looking like the real deal. After that win thinking the team could be something special. Course the next crossegame where they destroyed OSU wasn't too bad.

Not cable televised. Watching, I believe ESPNU, with Quint and the ACC fanboys. Apparently Quint had been talking up Connor Kirst in pregame "today in lacrosse". Followed the Rutgers
game here. Kirst goes 3 and 4, Rutgers wins and Quint starts patting himself on the back while remaining condescending towards Rutgers. Sort of "with Kirst these guys may have a pulse and pull a few surprises".

Completely OT, but I'm trying to kill time listening to a long presentation, but any favorite games over the past couple of years, outside the playoffs? Thinking that first game against PSU in 2021, coming out of COVID, snow still on the ground, AC great game, Connor Kirst looking like the real deal. After that win thinking the team could be something special. Course the next game where they destroyed OSU wasn't too bad.
That was the game that started what was an “elite” 2 year run. No fans allowed. I sat at home in my basement in Michigan and watched that game…it was a great game and it set the tone for 2021 and 2022…two of the greatest years in Rutgers history

I’ll get an early look in person at Maryland in week 2 when the take on Loyola in College Park

Hey Cali, back in November you mentioned something about expecting big news? Should we still expect to hear something

As I said before this, the schedule is not weak, but replacing Hofstra with either Penn or Yale would boost the potential RPI given who is doing the voting. To me, the great unknown going into the season is how well all these transfers mesh into the teams they are joining. Success based solely on talent doesn't necessarily happen.
They have meshed very well. Brecht and staff do a really great job of finding Rutgers guys, and the culture of the team is embracing them when they come in. It’s a special place. Keeping it that way is job 1

Scheduling is very difficult. Between the existing rivalries and B1G schedule, we have two maybe three open dates. Other schools have to match those dates or it’s a no go. It’s just not as simple as saying we want Hofstra off and Yale you are on.

Our RPI hasn’t been an issue the last few seasons and it won’t be again. The joys of playing in the B1G.

Any news on scrimmages this month? Would be nice to get up to campus for a peek at the team, weather permitting..

I don't think the poster saying that was too off base in that I think his main point was that the ACC still deservedly holds a ton of clout and our schedule does not check that box. His W/L prediction also seemed fair to me. But his tone is definitely of the axe-to-grind type. Can't wait for the season. My only regret (as a fan) is that we don't go to West Point or Princeton this year since I love visiting both.
no axe to grind, just calling it as it is...

rutgers non-con schedule gives it fewerchances to earn signature wins than other teams in the conference as well as the other teams they will be competing for at large spots with

these days to make the tournament not only do you generally need a top 12 RPI or so but you also need at least one top 10 win. that has separated a lot of teams in recent years. it's the primary reason rutgers didnt make the tournament last year. zero top 10 wins. they had their chances in conference, which were squandered. it would have helped if they had a few more in the non-con schedule.

rutgers really only has one chance in that part of the schedule...army. that's it. lehigh, loyola, umass, princeton could be top 20 wins, but probably not top 10. pegging princeton as a top 10 team this year is going to leave you sorely disappointed. too young. maybe in another year or two. meanwhile md, hop, osu, etc. all have several more. that makes the game vs. army a must win. they just dont have as many "bites at the apple." there are fewer paths. especially compared to a md, hop, acc, or many ivies (for instance, cornell plays notre dame, psu, osu, denver, and cuse out of conference). you dont have to like it but it's the truth. just look at last year

Last edited:
More cluelessness.

Rutgers had top 12 RPIs when they made the tournament.

Schedule is RPI fine. Don’t worry fellas. It’s made this way for a reason. A lot of effort goes into it by a lot smarter people than the Syracuse fan.

Enjoy the season. The team is going to be fun to watch. Also, some great future and current portal kids in the mix already. Wheel continues to churn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT