ADVERTISEMENT

Football VIDEO: Miami OC Shannon Dawson and DC Lance Guidry talk Pinstripe Bowl

@rutgersguy1 , the Miami OC is a disciple of Hal Mumme, the true grandfather of the air raid offense. Know much about him? He coached under Holgorsen at WVU and Houston.

I've mentioned here before a couple times. Same stuff you mentioned and how they were going to be more aggressive, although I think Miami's GT debacle might have put some restraints on that. Still wonder about that because Shannon Dawson was at UK where he had "philosophical differences" with Stoops. I could see Cristobal be similar to Stoops in philosophy but so far they say that hasn't been the case. Their offense has improved quite a bit from last year with Gattis, up into the 20s-30s from 80s-90s.

Here are some articles from the Athletic I've mentioned before.

From the article:

What happens over a headset in the heat of a tight game often is much different from what gets kicked around in coaching interviews. Dawson had noted how hands-off his new boss was as Miami battled back from a 10-0 hole to light up an Aggies defense stacked with four- and five-star recruits. Dawson had been at places where he and the head coach liked and respected each other but, when it really mattered, the fit of what each man wanted was just “off.” That’s how it was when he was the offensive coordinator for Mark Stoops at Kentucky.

And now, with the Canes clinging to a lead against a big SEC squad, it was crunchtime. And Dawson knew what he wanted.

“I don’t think we can run the clock out,” Cristobal said. “Stay aggressive.”

“Run the clock out?” Dawson replied. “I’m trying to end this motherf—– right here. If they match up, we’re gonna throw the vertical.”

Cristobal loved what he heard. So did the players when Dawson gathered the offense before they went back on the field. “We gotta go score again,” he told them. “We can’t put all the pressure on the field. We gotta help them out and give them a comfortable lead.”

• Dawson replaces Josh Gattis, the 2021 Broyles Award winner who was fired last month after the Hurricanes averaged only 23.6 points per game (97th) in 2022. Miami owes Gattis close to $1.5 million per year for each of the two remaining years of his contract.
  • Dawson has been the offensive coordinator at Houston since 2020 and previously held the same position at Southern Miss (2016-18), Kentucky (2015) and West Virginia (2012-14).
  • Houston ranked third in the AAC in yards per play (6.57) in 2022 and second in both passing yards per game (314) and yards per passing attempt (8.2).

Reactions: Knight Shift
I've mentioned here before a couple times. Same stuff you mentioned and how they were going to be more aggressive, although I think Miami's GT debacle might have put some restraints on that. Still wonder about that because Shannon Dawson was at UK where he had "philosophical differences" with Stoops. I could see Cristobal be similar to Stoops in philosophy but so far they say that hasn't been the case. Their offense has improved quite a bit from last year with Gattis, up into the 20s-30s from 80s-90s.

Here are some articles from the Athletic I've mentioned before.

From the article:

What happens over a headset in the heat of a tight game often is much different from what gets kicked around in coaching interviews. Dawson had noted how hands-off his new boss was as Miami battled back from a 10-0 hole to light up an Aggies defense stacked with four- and five-star recruits. Dawson had been at places where he and the head coach liked and respected each other but, when it really mattered, the fit of what each man wanted was just “off.” That’s how it was when he was the offensive coordinator for Mark Stoops at Kentucky.

And now, with the Canes clinging to a lead against a big SEC squad, it was crunchtime. And Dawson knew what he wanted.

“I don’t think we can run the clock out,” Cristobal said. “Stay aggressive.”

“Run the clock out?” Dawson replied. “I’m trying to end this motherf—– right here. If they match up, we’re gonna throw the vertical.”

Cristobal loved what he heard. So did the players when Dawson gathered the offense before they went back on the field. “We gotta go score again,” he told them. “We can’t put all the pressure on the field. We gotta help them out and give them a comfortable lead.”

• Dawson replaces Josh Gattis, the 2021 Broyles Award winner who was fired last month after the Hurricanes averaged only 23.6 points per game (97th) in 2022. Miami owes Gattis close to $1.5 million per year for each of the two remaining years of his contract.
  • Dawson has been the offensive coordinator at Houston since 2020 and previously held the same position at Southern Miss (2016-18), Kentucky (2015) and West Virginia (2012-14).
  • Houston ranked third in the AAC in yards per play (6.57) in 2022 and second in both passing yards per game (314) and yards per passing attempt (8.2).

"who was fired last month after the Hurricanes averaged only 23.6 points per game (97th) in 2022."

Rutgers fans:

eb31a16a70c1a0178dbb205867e3b353.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: rutgersguy1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT