ADVERTISEMENT

Villanova #1

it bullshit...they aren't that good, that's okay being #1 is the kiss of death this year. For all the early hype about the BE reality has set in. For one Providence was way overrated and it was a joke that they were top 10. That loss to horrific De Paul made that clear and they were slaughtered by Nova in that rematch game at Providence. This league is getting 4 schools in the tourney with SHU and Xavier the other two. Butler has a shot at it but we will see.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... Too funny!!! Its not like Providence lost to Rutgers! They lost to Depaul.

No doubt at least these 5 teams make the tourny:

Villanova
Xavier
Providence
Seton Hall
Butler

at least 50% again.

You have no credibility. All the crap you said about Nova going down the tubes etc.. after we got rid of some good teams and some big-time dead weight.

Villanova deserves #1 as much as any other team. Ok is probably the best team in the nation, but the way the Polls work, its Nova's turn. Nothing you can say will make me feel that we don't deserve it. We are ready for all the BS comments from the wanna be's. Both Polls baby!!! #1.

No arguments here!!!

Last edited:
Butler has a rpi of 68 and just 1-5 vs rpi top 50 and 4-7 vs top 100, they are current sub 500 in the BE and have a OOC SOS of 202. I believe they are Lunardis last team in as of right now so they are nowhere near a sure thing like you just said. In fact with games coming up with SHU 2x and Xavier its not looking good.

The number 1 slot has basically been an ejector seat for the past month.

Nova has St Johns and DePaul on deck so they'll be there for a week at least.

Oh, so now we are talking about things I said not being so sure. How bout the sure things you say:

"This league is getting 4 schools in the tourney".

We will know on selection Sunday!!

The number 1 slot has basically been an ejector seat for the past month.

Nova has St Johns and DePaul on deck so they'll be there for a week at least.

See the thing is, it doesn't matter. Villanova isn't going to win the rest of their games. However, they are #1. Great for VU, great for the Big East! Thats what matters. Don't give a damn about an ejector seat. We should be there for a couple of weeks at least, and its our first time, and its AWESOME!

I agree---------Maryland is another school with a solid hoop tradition who has never been ranked # 1.

Oh, so now we are talking about things I said not being so sure. How bout the sure things you say:

"This league is getting 4 schools in the tourney".

We will know on selection Sunday!!

um I said Butler has a shot we'll see but no I believe they wont get in

Id rank Maryland #1, Oklahoma #2 and Nova #3...that OU waxed Nova on a neutral court should matter big time given they both have just 3 losses.

I follow Nova and I don't consider them a Top 10 team but they are where they are.

Four teams in the ACC are better than them and at least 2 in the Big Ten-------not sure about Iowa yet.

But aside from Xavier the BE is down this year with Butler and Gtown as major disappointments.

Solid rumor is that Villanova walloped our (Maryland) team in the secret scrimmage last November. I guess it mattered after all!

I follow Nova and I don't consider them a Top 10 team but they are where they are.

Four teams in the ACC are better than them and at least 2 in the Big Ten-------not sure about Iowa yet.

But aside from Xavier the BE is down this year with Butler and Gtown as major disappointments.

I wonder if the Hoya Saxa faithful are tiring of Thompson

Nova has maxed their potential the last couple of years.....at worse they are a #2 seed and likely a #1 seed after they win the Big East tournament. The question is similar to schools in past years like Gonzaga and Wichita State is where are they going to be seeded and play and who else is going to be in their bracket. I can see a scenario where Nova, Michigan State, Kentucky and Arizona are 1 through 4 in the same bracket.

The other question is are they going to be battle-tested like years past. Beating Xavier, Providence and Seton Hall on the road are good wins, but not the game changers like the old Big East like they played before. It will really depend on whether they are playing well in March or not. College Basketball this year really lacks an elite team and there is a lot of balance out there. I have over 15 teams that can make the Final 4 and most years that number is less than 7 in my book. Of course you have a surprise team once in a while, but being #1 is a great accomplishment regardless.

I didn't think much of Nova 4 to 5 years ago when they went "star or ranking crazy" and went away from better character kids, but since the shedding of former players like St. Anthony's star Dominic Cheek, they have been improving every year since then. I think they are back to a true team concept and kids like Josh Hart are the key pieces that make their team click vs worrying about recruiting rankings.

Butler has a rpi of 68 and just 1-5 vs rpi top 50 and 4-7 vs top 100, they are current sub 500 in the BE and have a OOC SOS of 202. I believe they are Lunardis last team in as of right now so they are nowhere near a sure thing like you just said. In fact with games coming up with SHU 2x and Xavier its not looking good.
Butler is darned good. They had a bad stretch and it could kill their chances, but they have very good talent. I fear them a lot.

in both Polls.

That's got to be hard to swallow for Oklahoma fans, who walloped Nova by 23 points earlier in the year. I watched that game and Nova didn't look like they even belonged on the same floor as UO.

Villanova is very good but I do not see them as #1. I doubt they can beat Michigan State. They got destroyed by Oklahoma and I doubt they can beat North Carolina or Maryland either.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... Too funny!!! Its not like Providence lost to Rutgers! They lost to Depaul.

No doubt at least these 5 teams make the tourny:

Villanova
Xavier
Providence
Seton Hall
Butler

at least 50% again.

You have no credibility. All the crap you said about Nova going down the tubes etc.. after we got rid of some good teams and some big-time dead weight.

Villanova deserves #1 as much as any other team. Ok is probably the best team in the nation, but the way the Polls work, its Nova's turn. Nothing you can say will make me feel that we don't deserve it. We are ready for all the BS comments from the wanna be's. Both Polls baby!!! #1.

No arguments here!!!
Little catholic schools make it to the NCAA on a regular basis as well as being highly rated.How do they continue to attract more talented players than Rutgers ?

What good team has Nova beaten out of conference? Did they win the Big ten challenge game?

Schools like Nova , PC , Xavier , GTown , Marquette, Dayton , St Johns , Gonzaga and Creighton have great tradition on their side and it doesn't hurt that many of the best HS teams in the country are Parochial schools.

In most of these schools there isn't any competition from football-----this is their sport so the dollars they spend they spend on hoops.

Many are in urban areas and have excellent fan bases.

I used to travel to Dayton occasionally on business back when I was working. My customer had season tickets to Dayton basketball for 30 years-----as did all the people who sat around him. The place was always packed.

I wish ND never gave that series up along with our annual game with Marquette . They were great rivalries.

They beat Xavier by 30----road wins at SHU , Butler and PC------OOC doesn't play into it.

They play Temple on the road in a week or two-----won't be an easy game.

Just puts more pressure on jay to have a post season ncaa run that aligns with their seed. They are the best team in their league but surprised they aware ranked #1.

See the thing is, it doesn't matter. Villanova isn't going to win the rest of their games. However, they are #1. Great for VU, great for the Big East! Thats what matters. Don't give a damn about an ejector seat. We should be there for a couple of weeks at least, and its our first time, and its AWESOME!

That's the right attitude. Enjoy the ride.

You can make a solid case for a handful of schools to be #1 in this most watered down season in the history of college basketball. The 2005-06 Nova teams would kick the living snot out of this Villanova team and every other team in the country. It took loaded teams like UNC and Florida in those years with handfuls of NBA players to beat those Foye-Lowry-Ray teams deep in the tournament. College basketball has changed.

As for the Oklahoma talk, let's remember one thing. That game was in the first 2 wks of the season and Nova was acclimating to replacing 3 starters - JVP, Hilliard and Ennis. OU brought everyone back and was loaded for bear from the get-go. Since that game Villanova has put the ball in Josh Hart's hands alot more and started attacking off the dribble. More attacking, less settling for jumpers. Yes they are still reliant on the 3 but so are alot of teams. In the OU game Nova shot a mind-boggling 4-32 from 3 while OU went 15-25. Perfect storm. The reason OU isnt #1 is they lost to a team that was 2-7 in their conference and Nova hasnt taken a bad loss all year. Or in about 3-4 years.

The major benefit of getting to #1 during a season is the press it creates. It sells. It's good for recruiting. Short of that we know it doesnt amount to a hill of sheet in March. Nova is hoping for a more favorable draw this year as a top seed. Getting the National Champs 2 yrs ago in the 2nd round in the 2-7 game was terrible luck. And last year they caught battled-tested NCState team who had 4 top 5 wins during the season and had no fear whatsoever. Chances are Nova will get friendlier 2nd round opponent than these last couple yrs - you would think. From there Nova will get the S16 and E8 games on their secondary home court at Wells Fargo. With the country as watered down as ever and Nova in line to play the first 4 games within 30 mins to 2 hrs of campus (Brooklyn and Philly) they may never have a better chance than this to do something special.

The thing about Villanova that most don't see is that they have a REALLY good defense. Our offense is allot different than it was at the beginning of the year too. Allot more slashing to the rim and not just shooting 3s.

Also, we got blown out by OK, but that would not happen now. We were no where near as good then as we are now. Not saying OK didn't get better but nobody would blow us out now. We are so much better than we were when we played in Hawaii and our defense is always on whether or not our offense is on. Our defense sucked at the beginning of the year. We lost 35 pts a game and 3 great defenders to graduation and it took a while to get our D going,

"It's bull shit...they aren't that good"

Then rank "Villanova #3"

I wish I had two different mouths to speak out of too.

To say Providence is way overrated because of one loss is ridiculous. They have two loses outside the top 100 rpi all year . Plus wins at Nova and neutral court win over Arizona.

Butler is darned good. They had a bad stretch and it could kill their chances, but they have very good talent. I fear them a lot.
Butler has some nice talent their issue is no point guard. Which in turn has R Jones playing out of position.

It's odd that Butler doesnt have a PG. Their issue should be getting bigs, not little guys. Tyler Lewis stinks.

It's odd that Butler doesnt have a PG. Their issue should be getting bigs, not little guys. Tyler Lewis stinks.
Your right Tyler Lewis does stink. On the other hand Kellan Martin is going to be a superstar.

They have a pg. Problem is he got hurt at about the time the BE season started thus the # of in conference losses.

I could see nova losing in the first weekend of the tournament .

Of course that could happen. Almost any team could beat any team on a given day. Thats why its so hard to win it all. Match ups, and you have to play your best each game. However, you keep getting there every year, its going to happen soon enough!

VU has as good a shot as any team at making the Final 4 because they are in that group of 10 good teams. There are no great teams but VU is right there with any other team.

To say Providence is way overrated because of one loss is ridiculous. They have two loses outside the top 100 rpi all year . Plus wins at Nova and neutral court win over Arizona.

your team didn't belong in the top 10. That was a joke. Are you tied for 4th/5th in your own league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT