ADVERTISEMENT

Wall Street Journal college rankings

Just quickly eyeballing this, would anyone not an MSU alum believe it's a better school than Northwestern? Not sure what got that result.

Just quickly eyeballing this, would anyone not an MSU alum believe it's a better school than Northwestern? Not sure what got that result.

Comes down to the methodology. That is why I posted the methodology.

I checked the details. MSU ranks a lot better on the graduation rate impact metric, which is a big driver of the score. Northwestern ranks higher on all the other metrics except learning facilities, where the colleges score nearly the same.

Rutgers a respectable #124. PSU...#345...10 spots behind Rowan. Why so many Jersey kids head there instead of RU, I don't understand. (At least Delaware, the other out of state favorite, is ranked #26, ahead of Brown.) WSJ Rankings

Rutgers a respectable #124. PSU...#345...10 spots behind Rowan. Why so many Jersey kids head there instead of RU, I don't understand. (At least Delaware, the other out of state favorite, is ranked #26, ahead of Brown.) WSJ Rankings
paywall

Delaware is 26 and RU 124??? hmmm... and, I hate PSU but almost 3x of RU's ranking? I'd love to know how they determined their scoring...

if you dont mind me asking who are the top 5?

paywall

Delaware is 26 and RU 124??? hmmm... and, I hate PSU but almost 3x of RU's ranking? I'd love to know how they determined their scoring...

if you dont mind me asking who are the top 5?
1. Princeton
2. Babson
3. Stanford
4. Yale
5. Claremont McKenna
6. Harvard
7. MIT
8. Cal
9. Georgia Tech
10. Davidson

It's a very American consumer thing to want to have this kind of "but what's BEST best" type lineup. The best way to organize these types of things is in loose tiers based on whatever criteria is important to the person looking for their college/post college experience. Harvard is top tier in everything except affordability and enjoying the college experience, for example.

I struggle with understanding any aggregate score that puts Virginia Tech (19) ahead of Cal Tech (39) but the latter is very expensive and has a very sterile college experience. Hopefully society and academia can start to move past raw rankings and put forward more complete criteria for kids and parents to review.

1. Princeton
2. Babson
3. Stanford
4. Yale
5. Claremont McKenna
6. Harvard
7. MIT
8. Cal
9. Georgia Tech
10. Davidson

It's a very American consumer thing to want to have this kind of "but what's BEST best" type lineup. The best way to organize these types of things is in loose tiers based on whatever criteria is important to the person looking for their college/post college experience. Harvard is top tier in everything except affordability and enjoying the college experience, for example.

I struggle with understanding any aggregate score that puts Virginia Tech (19) ahead of Cal Tech (39) but the latter is very expensive and has a very sterile college experience. Hopefully society and academia can start to move past raw rankings and put forward more complete criteria for kids and parents to review.
Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: RUseaweed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT