ADVERTISEMENT

Watching FDU vs Merrimack.

Fun fact: FDU lost to Richmond earlier in the year.
They were down 42-9 at halftime.
And now they lost their conference championship.

But they are in the NCAA Tournament and Rutgers has to sweat it out.

Worst designed tournament ever.

It's never made sense. They are already at a disadvantage. No reason to further penalize them.

If a team dropped from 1-A to 1-AA, then you put restrictions in. Since they have a roster advantage.
This. Making teams ineligible for moving UP is incredibly stupid.

Reactions: biker7766
Ok? Do you think we couldn't win the NEC tournament?
What I think is that the top 64 NET teams should make the NCAA Tournament and the Conference Champs for who are not in the top 64 NET should be Automatic entries into the NIT.
I also think there are too many D1 conferences in NCAA basketball. Cut it to the top 16 conferences in prior 5 years attendance (or something like that). There are 363 teams rated in NET right now.

What I think is that the top 64 NET teams should make the NCAA Tournament and the Conference Champs for who are not in the top 64 NET should be Automatic entries into the NIT.
I also think there are too many D1 conferences in NCAA basketball. Cut it to the top 16 conferences in prior 5 years attendance (or something like that). There are 363 teams rated in NET right now.
Good job of taking the best, most popular, aspects of the tournament and sport and getting rid of them

13-18 Ohio State (NET 63) thanks you

what makes the Thursday through Sunday unlike other tournaments is the team that is clearly worse competing for 40 or 80 minutes

Taking that away to have Ohio state lose to Alabama by 15 would completely ruin the first 4 days

Nobody thinks these are the best 64-68 teams. That’s fine.

Fun fact: FDU lost to Richmond earlier in the year.
They were down 42-9 at halftime.
And now they lost their conference championship.

But they are in the NCAA Tournament and Rutgers has to sweat it out.

Worst designed tournament ever.
This is one of the worst takes ever. It’s arguably the greatest sports event in America

Good job of taking the best, most popular, aspects of the tournament and sport and getting rid of them

13-18 Ohio State (NET 63) thanks you

The only reason it's the most popular is because of how poorly it's designed from an athletic perspective.

Name one other tournament that give a bye to lower seeds.
Literally the only reason they have play-in games for 11/12 seeds is to make more TV money - at the expense of competition.

Want to have all the conferences representated and be AQ? Fine.
But then make the play-in the actual worst teams in the tournament (61v68, 62v67, 63v66, 64v65) for the play ins as the #16 seeds.
Don't want AQ in the play-in? Fine - then seed them higher.

This concept of "your the last wild-card in the tournament so you have to play an extra game - but your also better than half the teams so your seeded 11th" makes zero sense.

And don't even start on "bid stealing".
Win 4 games in March and that's more important than an entire 30 games resume. Literally all our Q1/2 wins go out the window if a couple unexpected teams win a couple games in March. Perfect design.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
The only reason it's the most popular is because of how poorly it's designed from an athletic perspective.

Literally the only reason they have play-in games for 11/12 seeds is to make more TV money - at the expense of competition.

But then make the play-in the actual worst teams in the tournament (61v68, 62v67, 63v66, 64v65) for the play ins as the #16 seeds.

This concept of "your the last wild-card in the tournament so you have to play an extra game - but your also better than half the teams so your seeded 11th" makes zero sense.

Win 4 games in March and that's more important than an entire 30 games resume. Literally all our Q1/2 wins go out the window if a couple unexpected teams win a couple games in March. Perfect design.
Agree on the play-in games. But those are not what makes the tournament popular. Should just go back to 64 imo.

I don’t have sympathy for the stolen at large bid but I hate that being an outright conference champ is meaningless. I could come to terms with field expansion only if it came with a guarantee that outright conference champs would also get autobids.

I don’t have sympathy for the stolen at large bid but I hate that being an outright conference champ is meaningless. I could come to terms with field expansion only if it came with a guarantee that outright conference champs would also get autobids.

Probably a separate thread (maybe I'll start it) - but why do conference tournament champs trump regular season champs?

It's like the AFC South having a mini-tourney.
Texans (3-13-1) randomly win 2 games and they get a playoff spot instead of Jaguars (9-8).

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Probably a separate thread (maybe I'll start it) - but why do conference tournament champs trump regular season champs?

It's like the AFC South having a mini-tourney.
Texans (3-13-1) randomly win 2 games and they get a playoff spot instead of Jaguars (9-8).
In my opinion, the one bid leagues like the NEC should be structuring their tournaments like the WCC does, where the 1 and 2 teams go straight to the semi finals. Would make winning your regular season championship actually count for something.

NEC should have been ineligible for an AQ, only having 7 eligible teams, 2 still in transition, 305 Merrimack, year 4 of 4, and 313 Stonehill, year 1 of 4.

Or even the fact that the best NET team in conference is 298 FDU, the rest, 307 Wagner, 327 Sacred Heart, 336 St Francis(PA), 343 CCSU, 353 ST Francis(BKN), 362 LIU

Combined 0-15 vs Q1, 1-15 vs Q2, 1-19 vs Q3
Wagner W @ 120 Temple(16-15) Q2, FDU W @ 209 St Joseph's(15-16) Q3

Only Q4 W's above FDU
Wagner vs 265 Fairfield, Sacred Heart @ 269 New Hampshire, CCSU vs 279 Dartmouth

Team #67 will probably be 50 to 100 spots higher than FDU

#31 SWAC has Grambling at #168, 4th at #277
#30 Southland has Texas A&M-CC #180 vs NW St #200. Finals
#29 OVC SEMO #244 AQ
#28 MEAC NC-Central. #188, 5th at #287

In my opinion, the one bid leagues like the NEC should be structuring their tournaments like the WCC does, where the 1 and 2 teams go straight to the semi finals. Would make winning your regular season championship actually count for something.
Not a bad idea at all. As of now they (the NEC) at least play their tourney at home sites of the higher seeds so there is some advantage for finishing high in the regular season standings.

Reactions: cm_13
NEC should have been ineligible for an AQ, only having 7 eligible teams, 2 still in transition, 305 Merrimack, year 4 of 4, and 313 Stonehill, year 1 of 4.

Or even the fact that the best NET team in conference is 298 FDU, the rest, 307 Wagner, 327 Sacred Heart, 336 St Francis(PA), 343 CCSU, 353 ST Francis(BKN), 362 LIU

Combined 0-15 vs Q1, 1-15 vs Q2, 1-19 vs Q3
Wagner W @ 120 Temple(16-15) Q2, FDU W @ 209 St Joseph's(15-16) Q3

Only Q4 W's above FDU
Wagner vs 265 Fairfield, Sacred Heart @ 269 New Hampshire, CCSU vs 279 Dartmouth

Team #67 will probably be 50 to 100 spots higher than FDU

#31 SWAC has Grambling at #168, 4th at #277
#30 Southland has Texas A&M-CC #180 vs NW St #200. Finals
#29 OVC SEMO #244 AQ
#28 MEAC NC-Central. #188, 5th at #287
Yes, probably, the league was horrible. But hard to do this for a single year

Reactions: Scarlet Blind

The play in games shouldn’t exist at all

You mean you don’t want a team like St. Peter’s doing what they did last year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT