ADVERTISEMENT

We’re better as the hunter than the hunted

BillyC80

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
I have a feeling that our guys like Young and Mathis will be critical in big games against better competition, especially on D.

In these games some of our guys lose focus and get sloppy. I believe we’ll play MUCH better as the underdog, which we will be most of the time after these first 7 games.

Interesting thought I believe the same but at this point in time they need to be able to put away these teams. I’m not totally discouraged as we have a ton of new pieces, a new scheme on O and the D

that was one of my big points in the prediction thread...how RU reacts to being the hunted and it some Big 10 games they will. Right now I think at 3-0 obviously they have repelled the challenges but getting double digit leads at home to likely sub 500 schools in mid or low majors and then allowing those teams to make it one possesion games or take the lead really shows the team doesnt have that full focus yet

Bac, I’m not as concerned with RU being “the hunted” in our conference games because I believe they’ll be very focused against all B1G foes.

If we can get wins in our early OOC home games plus the neutral site game with the Bonnies, then I’ll feel a lot better, focus-wise, when we have our first true road game at Pitt.

The game at MSU is like house money. It will be a good test but even if we just avoid getting completely blown out our guys will have a good barometer on just how much we have to step up our game, focus, and be the “hunter” from then on.

Reactions: RUHouston
Often times the difference/perception between

bad substitution patterns vs good ones
coach having his team prepared to play or no
a team being better as a hunter vs hunted
a team running an offense or not
A team wanting it vs. going through the motions

comes down to one thing......
do we have a good shooting day

This thread does not exist is 5 or 6 good looks go in the basket

comes down to one thing......
do we have a good shooting day

This thread does not exist is 5 or 6 good looks go in the basket
One of the reasons we had a less than stellar shooting day is that both Jacob and Montez took some ill-advised forced shots. I believe part of that is a mentality of “the hunted” that says, we’re only playing Drexel, I can do whatever I want and get away with it.

I also believe those two will be counted on to focus more and make a huge contribution on both sides of the ball in games where we are “the hunter.”

One of the reasons we had a less than stellar shooting day is that both Jacob and Montez took some ill-advised forced shots. I believe part of that is a mentality of “the hunted” that says, we’re only playing Drexel, I can do whatever I want and get away with it.

I also believe those two will be counted on to focus more and make a huge contribution on both sides of the ball in games where we are “the hunter.”
Not my point.

We had some point blank shots and open 3s that didnt go down.

Mathis and Young didnt take ill advised shots, my memory, they attacked the basket at the wrong times.

GRF — I gotta give you credit, you spun gold out of straw with “they didn’t take I’ll-advised shots, they just attacked the basket at the wrong times.” Now that’s a spin I can really get behind!

It’s more than a Good Shooting day, in general... we need our Bigs to step up or it won’t matter how good our guards are... I’m not ready to say losing Shaq and Gene have doomed us but I thought Myles and Carter would’ve shown, I don’t know, more comfort in their new roles? They’re not bench players anymore!

It’s more than a Good Shooting day, in general... we need our Bigs to step up or it won’t matter how good our guards are... I’m not ready to say losing Shaq and Gene have doomed us but I thought Myles and Carter would’ve shown, I don’t know, more comfort in their new roles? They’re not bench players anymore!
Part of that is Coach has to run more plays and emphasize the guards feeding the post. That is lacking this year , as the bigs are running more high screens around the foul line and three point line . Myles, Shaq, and Mamadou, all have to be fed on the block more especially in these games where we have height, size, bulk, and length advantage. It has to be a better more conscious focused effort .

Reactions: RUHouston
I have a feeling that our guys like Young and Mathis will be critical in big games against better competition, especially on D.

In these games some of our guys lose focus and get sloppy. I believe we’ll play MUCH better as the underdog, which we will be most of the time after these first 7 games.

We're better with Eugene.

Reactions: GoFish2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT