ADVERTISEMENT

What’s next for Rutgers basketball after Cam Spencer’s stunning transfer?

Too many moving pieces to even venture a guess.
Its upsetting that fans still don't know status of Cliff and Paul.Its getting late and the transfer portal is lacking adequate replacements.Cam was supposed to be returning to Rutgers and now everybody is shocked on his departure.The NIL is making coaching staffs job far more difficult in roster selection and retention.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
I thought Rutgers had a NIL fund raiser (KOR?). Why can't they raise the $ needed to keep a guy like Cam ? 90k doesn't seem outrageous.

People still need to realize that if Paul & Cliff come back, we will still have a better team than last year - especially the one at the end of the year without Mag
Gavin is the best recruit we have had in a long time, with a much more diversified offensive game than Cam. A healthy, focused Paul, an experienced passer & sharpshooter in his own right in Noah, & Simpson a year older will also open things up for Cliff.
Losing Caleb hurts the defense, but with Mag back & excellent defensive coaching, we will not lose as much ground as people think. & we still can get 2 more from the Portal..
Another Key will Be development of Simpson & Wolf
Still an NCAA team.
Don’t forget, Cam had those big shots early in the Big Ten season, but then had an awful slump, & missed the most important foul shot of the season vs Minnesota

Last edited:
People still need to realize that if Paul & Cliff come back, we will still have a better team than last year - especially the one at the end of the year without Mag
Gavin is the best recruit we have had in a long time, with a much more diversified offensive game than Cam. A healthy, focused Paul, an experienced passer & sharpshooter in his own right in Noah, & Simpson a year older will also open things up for Cliff.
Losing Caleb hurts the defense, but with Mag back & excellent defensive coaching, we will not lose as much ground as people think. & we still can get 2 more from the Portal..
Still an NCAA team.
Don’t forgot, Cam had those big shots early in the Big Ten season, but then had an awful slump, & missed the most important foul shot of the season vs Minnesota
Still contingent on Mag coming back healthy. Even with Mag, depth & size is an issue. Headband is too inconsistent although I think he played the entire season with a bum shoulder.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
I thought Rutgers had a NIL fund raiser (KOR?). Why can't they raise the $ needed to keep a guy like Cam ? 90k doesn't seem outrageous.
We did and we needed a bunch of awesome guys match what very few gave in order to reach the goal. It was extended and extended and extended again. We got to the goal but it was like pulling teeth.

I hope we can get something from Chol.. at the least, bulk him up to 230 and have him spend each practice rebounding and defending

Still an NCAA team.
Don’t forgot, Cam had those big shots early in the Big Ten season, but then had an awful slump, & missed the most important foul shot of the season vs Minnesota
Not so sure. Key returning contributors are a year older so that’s a plus. However, Hyatt, Paul, and Cliff have not improved much in the last two years, so I expect more of the same…which is fine.

We essentially replaced Cam and Caleb with Noah and Gavin. Difficult to tell but I’d guess a slight net negative here…especially early in the season and defensively, and defense has been the core of the team. However, if Gavin is all that is expected, by season’s end it could be a different story. Yes, he’s a 4/5 star. He’s also a freshman.

We did absolutely nothing to replace Mag and even if we get Mag back at 85-90%, it won’t be until later in the season. Woolfolk should be better but we don’t even have a Reiber to back them up if necessary. 3rd year in a row we have failed picking up a legit backup big. Cliff often picked up two fouls in the first half and Wolf fouls repeatedly. Big negative.

Terrance Shannon will get $700,000 to return. Hawkins made $200,000 last season. Not suggesting that Spencer get anywhere near that, but Rutgers needs to up its nil game for the future.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Terrance Shannon will get $700,000 to return. Hawkins made $200,000 last season. Not suggesting that Spencer get anywhere near that, but Rutgers needs to up its nil game for the future.
He wanted to leave dude. It wasn't about money. Maybe if Rutgers had offered him 250k, but they didn't. So that's that. Next man up!

Could be a season where those complaining about the unavailability of season ducats in the 100’s can jump on-board.
Every cloud has a silver lining.

Reactions: Rutgersfamily
Eugene because he spent his entire career here up to that point and we saw his improvement over the years. Cam was a rental that we took for granted.

Good question and good response imho

They both sting - particularly since they both came out of nowhere and both came at inopportune times for RU

And I agree with your take: Eugene owed his friggin career to Rutgers!!! Pike took a chance on him (saw potential there that no one did!), developed him big time (he could barely dribble his freshman year!!) and then dumped RU very late in the timing. Not only that he made some disparaging comments after the fact. Seriously - **** Eugene Omoruyi.

Cam was a one year mercenary. Ultimately He did to us what we/he did to loyola. It sucks. But what really sucks is the timing. He wouldn’t let ru counter and with the timing kinda screwed RU. So for that cam can suck it a little

Last edited:
Reactions: MiloTalon13
My thoughts on CaM are this. He won’t have an identity after this related to college basketball. No one will care even if he lights it up for one year wherever he goes. One year mercenary. It’s players who play for a college for multiple years that develop an identity associated with that college that can pay dividends for them in the future. In fact it’s a bigger risk for him as he burns a bridge on the way out. I think he’s making a mistake but that’s just me and my view.

If Cliff/Paul return, the Cam exodus hurts a lot less. Also, we may see major improvement from Chol, Wolf and Simpson and Gavin/JMike may be more ready to step in and play significant minutes. We cringed when EO left, but we moved on and did well. I expect whatever roster we have come Nov will be one Pike and our coaches will be ready to go battle.

Reactions: JavaDunk18
My thoughts on CaM are this. He won’t have an identity after this related to college basketball. No one will care even if he lights it up for one year wherever he goes. One year mercenary. It’s players who play for a college for multiple years that develop an identity associated with that college that can pay dividends for them in the future. In fact it’s a bigger risk for him as he burns a bridge on the way out. I think he’s making a mistake but that’s just me and my view.
He’s getting a bag of $ and probably a Georgetown graduate degree ( if that’s where he winds up). We would probably make the NCAA tournament with him and Georgetown probably will not. It depends on what’s important to him. Doubt if burning bridges is an issue as he builds a new one at Georgetown.

Reactions: 365Poster24Seven
He’s getting a bag of $ and probably a Georgetown graduate degree ( if that’s where he winds up). We would probably make the NCAA tournament with him and Georgetown probably will not. It depends on what’s important to him. Doubt if burning bridges is an issue as he builds a new one at Georgetown.
My point is that there are benefits to staying somewhere for more than one year. Yes he will get a Georgetown degree but he also should get an RU degree. No one will identify with him from Georgetown though outside of Normal alumni networks. If you stay somewhere for a while you build a bigger reputation which I believe pays dividends down the road. Mike Teel is a good example. Works in HNW and reaches out to alumni. I wouldn’t even take the call if it wasn’t Mike Teel. One year guy, no way.

Reactions: JavaDunk18
My point is that there are benefits to staying somewhere for more than one year. Yes he will get a Georgetown degree but he also should get an RU degree. No one will identify with him from Georgetown though outside of Normal alumni networks. If you stay somewhere for a while you build a bigger reputation which I believe pays dividends down the road. Mike Teel is a good example. Works in HNW and reaches out to alumni. I wouldn’t even take the call if it wasn’t Mike Teel. One year guy, no way.
I see your point but that’s the trade-off and that’s what the bag of money is for. His personal choice and it obviously outweighed his desire to be here. Mistake? No one knows.

I see your point but that’s the trade-off and that’s what the bag of money is for. His personal choice and it obviously outweighed his desire to be here. Mistake? No one knows.
From what I understand we could have matched. While I agree it’s a personal choice, I thinks is a mistake objectively for mainly the reason I’m citing. I don’t think 20 year old kids put this in their calculator. Hard to quantify for sure and also irrelevant for elite kids.

From what I understand we could have matched. While I agree it’s a personal choice, I thinks is a mistake objectively for mainly the reason I’m citing. I don’t think 20 year old kids put this in their calculator. Hard to quantify for sure and also irrelevant for elite kids.
If we truly could have matched and didn’t, I am really disappointed. I thought he didn’t give us a chance to. IMO this makes us an NIT team vs. an NCAA team that could have done some damage.…assuming Cliff is back, of course.

Reactions: pmvon
who cares about his basketball entity/legacy ? He did what he thought was best for him. Congrats to him for playing his way into his better options.

Does leaving one company for another, and then for another, etc. tarnish legacy/identity ?

Still an NCAA team.
Don’t forget, Cam had those big shots early in the Big Ten season, but then had an awful slump, & missed the most important foul shot of the season vs Minnesota
I agree Wolf can be a key. The young man has had an interesting/challenging last couple of years - a change in his athletic focus, some personal issues, etc. I think there are some real physical tools here with Wolf. With a year in the program in the bank, a big man with a touch around the basket, some football-type strength and decent hands can develop into a real valuable commodity. GO WOLF! GO RU!

Does leaving one company for another, and then for another, etc. tarnish legacy/identity ?
In sports it does. It's why people in NY treat Don Mattingly, Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, etc like gods, while they simultaneously shrug their shoulders at Rickey Henderson, Dave Winfield and say, "they were pretty good." Players who spend their entire careers with one team always have heightened legacies.

In sports it does. It's why people in NY treat Don Mattingly, Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, etc like gods, while they simultaneously shrug their shoulders at Rickey Henderson, Dave Winfield and say, "they were pretty good." Players who spend their entire careers with one team always have heightened legacies.
And that has value.

Reactions: AdventureHasAName
Maybe Cam was overmatched vs quality teams based on the numbers,

22-23 Cam totals, 2pt 78-172 45.3%, 3pt 72-166 43.4%

Vs top 100 T-rank, 2pt 43-108 39.6%, 3pt 36-98 36.7%, FG 79-206 38.3%
(11-13), Home 5-6, Road 4-6, Neutral 2-1

L @ Miami FG 1-10, (W) vs Indiana FG 1-5, L @ Ohio St FG 5-8, L vs Seton Hall FG 2-7, (W) vs Wake FG 5-5, (W) @ Purdue FG 6-8, (W) vs Maryland FG 3-10, L vs Iowa FG 4-10, (W) @ NW FG 7-14, (W) vs Ohio St FG 5-13, L @ Mich St FG 3-14, (W) vs Penn St FG 1-7, L @ Iowa FG 4-10, (W) N Mich St FG 1-8, L @ Indiana FG 5-11, L @ Illinois FG 1-5, L vs Nebraska FG 3-11, (W) @ Wisc FG 7-14, L vs Michigan FG 5-12, (W) @ Penn St FG 5-11, L vs NW FG 2-5, (W) N Mich FG 6-11, N Purdue FG 5-13, L vs Hofstra FG 8-16

B1G Home&SHU(vs top 100) FG 27-88 30.7%, 3pt 14-46 30.4%, 2pt 12-39 30.8%
w/o WF 5-5 3pt 2-2, Hofstra 8-16, 3pt 6-11, Tot 13-21, 8-13, neither plays D

Neutral(vs top 100) FG 11-24 45.8%, 3pt 4-11 36.4%, 2pt 7-13 53.8%
Road(vs top 100) FG 28-73 38.4%, 3pt 10-28 35.7%, 2pt 18-45 40%

He performed well in Road Wins @ Purdue FG 6-8, @ NW 7-14, @ Penn St 5-11 and @ Wisconsin 7-14, even @ Ohio St 5-8 loss, but overall was overmatched in the B1G.

101-363, FG 71-132, 2pt 35-64 54.7%, 3pt 36-68 52.9% (8-2)
Columbia, Sacred Heart, UMass Lowell, Temple, Rider, CCSU, Bucknell, Coppin St, and Minnesota X2.

Only Temple & UMassL in the 100s, shot FG 8-21, 3pt 1-8

nj.com said Cam hasn't decided on his landing spot. Texas, Kentucky, Indiana, Georgetown and some others involved.

nj.com said Cam hasn't decided on his landing spot. Texas, Kentucky, Indiana, Georgetown and some others involved.
And that’s bs to cover for tampering. Unless IU or Kentucky come over the top with major cash all this is to cover for Georgetown.

Reactions: Zak57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT