ADVERTISEMENT

What if “The Grove” came to Rutgers

JayDogSmooth

All Conference
Aug 18, 2006
i think we should designate one of the grass lots as a Rutgers version of The Grove.

No cars allowed, only tents. Tents set up Friday night, no grills only catered food. People dressing up in their Sunday best.

Charge a certain amount and it will be an athmosphere like The Hunt. If it takes off, maybe the whole athmosphere / every parking lot can be like The Grove... thoughts?

I don’t know- The Grove is about southern culture as much as the tents and the setting. I don’t know if it can be duplicated in our area. It’s still on my bucket list of places to see.

Scarlet Jerry

i think we should designate one of the grass lots as a Rutgers version of The Grove.

No cars allowed, only tents. Tents set up Friday night, no grills only catered food. People dressing up in their Sunday best.

Charge a certain amount and it will be an athmosphere like The Hunt. If it takes off, maybe the whole athmosphere / every parking lot can be like The Grove... thoughts?
Well, umm , let me put this as simple as possible. The difference with the Grove and their fans is that they want to go no matter what time, no matter how long the walk. We have people complain about noon games and the Scarlet Walk is at least a 1/4 mile from where they parked which is breathtakingly too far. The Grove works in the South. NJ/Rutgers fans dont give a rats ass

Our tailgate has curtains on the tent legs as an homage to The Grove.

Kansas has a section called The Hill. You can rent a tent from them (multiple sizes) and they will set it up. You can either have them cater it for you or bring your own grills & tables. They ask you to name your tailgate & they make you a sign for your tent. We did it when we were there Saturday. Friends rented the tent and we were Knights on the Hill.

Our tailgate has curtains on the tent legs as an homage to The Grove.

Kansas has a section called The Hill. You can rent a tent from them (multiple sizes) and they will set it up. You can either have them cater it for you or bring your own grills & tables. They ask you to name your tailgate & they make you a sign for your tent. We did it when we were there Saturday. Friends rented the tent and we were Knights on the Hill.
What was your tailgate name? Diet Coke and Cookie Man?.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
We already had a spot lined up and and an idea.

But as evidence of how Rutgers does their Gameday operations, they plain and simple do not want that kind of thing anymore.

A previous version of something similar was tried but there was not enough interest. Guess people thought it was too pricey.

Give me kegs of bud light, beer pong tables and gals in daisy Daisy dukes /yoga pants with bikini tops and I'll buy season tickets
And you need a schedule and a clock.
Your extremely low standards with beer and girls is a bit disturbing however.

We actually already have one of the best tailgating scenes in the country, and probably second in the big ten behind only Penn State. Few schools have stadiums that are surrounded by grass lots like us. Many have parking in decks or in spread out lots around their campuses. Source: have been to many away games at many big east and almost all big ten schools.

We actually already have one of the best tailgating scenes in the country, and probably second in the big ten behind only Penn State. Few schools have stadiums that are surrounded by grass lots like us. Many have parking in decks or in spread out lots around their campuses. Source: have been to many away games at many big east and almost all big ten schools.
Agree with @ScarletDave here.

But there is room on our property if we really wanted to do something like that.

Would also like to see something worked out with Middlesex/Piscataway on using Johnson Park again.

What was your tailgate name? Diet Coke and Cookie Man?.

Knights on the Hill. Our hostess even painted a Knight on Canvas

FB_IMG_1537318331919_zpsalb4pesa.jpg
FB_IMG_1537318336641_zpssoduhvbu.jpg

But why would we want to do something like that?

You want to do something different, then do something different that is unique to us. Do a boardwalk. Do a clambake. Do an upscale picnic. But why try to replicate the Grove?
If by replicate you mean the guys all wear khakis and the girls wear sundresses, I agree...who would want that?

I’m just saying an area for the students and make it kinda nice like they do which is what a lot of people seem to want around here.

RU should have an Executive Tent (similar to what you found) for out of towners at what was formerly the Alley..small section, close to Stadium. ...Or that section should be available to rent for larger groups. (20-30 cars) or make that handicapped with no tailgating..

I'm less concerned about adults in Executive tents than RU finding a place for the students that are of drinking age and those under age to come to the game..What about the fenced area along the side of the bubble?

You could also have folks have to Park in the parking lot at Johnson Park and then have to set up tents or executive tents on the grass...Smaller but would offer options..

many ways to enhance game day experience ...to off set the long lines at the gates and poor concession stands/service

Zero interest.

You need to travel more pal if you think that.

RU should have an Executive Tent (similar to what you found) for out of towners at what was formerly the Alley..small section, close to Stadium. ...Or that section should be available to rent for larger groups. (20-30 cars) or make that handicapped with no tailgating..

I'm less concerned about adults in Executive tents than RU finding a place for the students that are of drinking age and those under age to come to the game..What about the fenced area along the side of the bubble?

You could also have folks have to Park in the parking lot at Johnson Park and then have to set up tents or executive tents on the grass...Smaller but would offer options..

many ways to enhance game day experience ...to off set the long lines at the gates and poor concession stands/service
That has already been tried as I mentioned above and it didn’t pan out.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Curious who else in the B1G has a better tailgating scene than Ru in your opinion. I would say Michigan might have us beat. That’s about it.
What??? I hate Penn State but they get a 100k in the stadium and another 20k in the parking lots partying

Reactions: chrisru99
Wisconsin is superior Penn State Michigan Nebraska get out there bro it’s fun. We are on par with the Terrapins IMO. Where else have you traveled to?

Wisconsin is superior Penn State Michigan Nebraska get out there bro it’s fun. We are on par with the Terrapins IMO. Where else have you traveled to?
Wisconsin isn’t a great tailgate scene. Nebraska isn’t either. Both are fun trips and they have other things going on that make it phenomenal, but I didn’t experience a great tailgate atmosphere at either. Maryland doesn’t have much going on at all. Agree with you regarding Michigan and PSU (unfortunately). Iowa is pretty neat, but I didn’t think it was as good as RU for the tailgating.

Wisconsin isn’t a great tailgate scene. Nebraska isn’t either. Both are fun trips and they have other things going on that make it phenomenal, but I didn’t experience a great tailgate atmosphere at either. Maryland doesn’t have much going on at all. Agree with you regarding Michigan and PSU (unfortunately). Iowa is pretty neat, but I didn’t think it was as good as RU for the tailgating.
What is great about Wisconsin and Nebraska is that the town is packed Friday night to Sunday morning. Still think both have more parking than we do but agree Rutgers is near the top but we are an in and out crowd. Others aren't

What is great about Wisconsin and Nebraska is that the town is packed Friday night to Sunday morning. Still think both have more parking than we do but agree Rutgers is near the top but we are an in and out crowd. Others aren't
Agreed. Like I said, tailgating at RU rocks and we have a great setup. Better than many of these cool destinations. Nebraska was my favorite trip even though their tailgating areas were minimal. Lots of these places have a bar scene rather than tailgating pregame.

Agreed. Like I said, tailgating at RU rocks and we have a great setup. Better than many of these cool destinations. Nebraska was my favorite trip even though their tailgating areas were minimal. Lots of these places have a bar scene rather than tailgating pregame.
The place, non Big Ten, that shocked me that had zero parking and zero tailgating was North Carolina. The stadium is literally in the middle of the dorms and buildings. Tailgating is done in the local bars

Curious, when was this tried and who was responsible for communicating.
Somebody will remember better than me but I can’t recall if this happened under Pernetti or Julie.

And it was pretty much of what you were talking about with the tent thing.

It seems we are now pushing the party deck thing on both sides of the press box. @Knight Shift knows more about it than I do.

We had our version of the Grove, it was called The Alley.

And it got squashed.

This is Rutgers. We aren’t allowed to have nice things.

We had our version of the Grove, it was called The Alley.

And it got squashed.

This is Rutgers. We aren’t allowed to have nice things.
Obviously you have never been to The Grove. The Alley was a shipshow. Not even close to a comparison. Bad analogy

went to a UF-Ole Miss game couple years ago at the Swamp. met an Ole Miss guy that said they make the frat pledges wake up stupid early to go reserve a spot at the grove.

Whoever said Nebraska had a good tailgate scene is hallucinating. They tailgate on sidewalks downtown & in gas stations. The Haymarket area bars is where the majority of people pre- game. I've made the trip twice so I know what I'm talking about. Bars are not a tailgate.

Arkansas was excellent tailgating. Michigan RV lot was pretty good. PSU has a good scene. When we went to tOSU 2 years ago I was underwhelmed.

We made friends with tOSU people 2 years ago & they came to RU Last year. They said in 30 years of tailgating & traveling around the country with tOSU they had never seen anything like they saw at RU, except for the big southern schools. Said there was no one in the B1G close to our tailgate scene.

PSUs is a bigger version of ours. Michigan’s is solid. Wiscy OSU Nebraska more bar scene.

Best ones I’ve been to are FSU, UF, and La Tech. Auburn, UGA, LSU & Tennessee are all legendary according to buddies who have been there.

UCFs is good too - UVA is more like The Grove. Army’s was pretty good, Navy decent and BC almost non existent

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT