ADVERTISEMENT

when you grow up in the everyone gets a trophy generation

newell138

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Ocean City NJ via South Brunswick and Denville
This is what you get. Not only did this guy have 5 years to break the record, he feels his team should have been invited to the CBI tournament despite a losing record, just so he could break the record!! Then he screams conspiracy theory on why they didn't get invited.

Pistol Pete only played 88 games, this guy played 144. There is no comparison, he just comes off looking like a loser

I heard about this kid a couple weeks ago when he was going for the record.
Found it really weird that basically nobody was talking about it.

I'm not big in CBB records but this seemed it should have been a bigger deal (for example LeBron passing Wilt was widely discussed and even bet on).

I heard about this kid a couple weeks ago when he was going for the record.
Found it really weird that basically nobody was talking about it.

I'm not big in CBB records but this seemed it should have been a bigger deal (for example LeBron passing Wilt was widely discussed and even bet on).

its not a big deal because he took almost 2x as many games to score less points. 88 games to 144 and he had 2 extra years with his 5th year... Pistol Pete was only allowed to play 3 years due to Freshman not being eligible back then.

its not a big deal because he took almost 2x as many games to score less points. 88 games to 144 and he had 2 extra years with his 5th year... Pistol Pete was only allowed to play 3 years due to Freshman not being eligible back then.
Yeah but this kid didn't have his Dad coaching him! (joking)
Pistol Pete took just under 40 shots a game his Soph year and averaged about 38 FGA/game for 3 years
With no shot clock - amazing

Should they have been invited to CBI?
Lost 3 of their last 4 games and finished 14-19, so doesn't exactly seem like they were deserving... All teams invited to the 2023 CBI tournament had winning records except for one that was 16-16.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUPete
This season Antoine Davis averaged over 22 shots per game, took more shots than their 3 top other starters combined, and had a lower FG% than all 3 of them at 41%.. (Which is a lower FG% than Maravich ever shot, although Maravich wasn't shooting threes).. Davis did shoot 41% from 3 though and over 90% from the foul line. Admittedly I've never watched him play, so I don't really know how good he really is.

Yeah but this kid didn't have his Dad coaching him! (joking)
Pistol Pete took just under 40 shots a game his Soph year and averaged about 38 FGA/game for 3 years
With no shot clock - amazing
And no 3 point shot. Dale Brown went back and tracked all Pete’s shots at LSU. He said Pete would have averaged 57 points a game if there was a 3 point line then.

This is what you get. Not only did this guy have 5 years to break the record, he feels his team should have been invited to the CBI tournament despite a losing record, just so he could break the record!! Then he screams conspiracy theory on why they didn't get invited.

Pistol Pete only played 88 games, this guy played 144. There is no comparison, he just comes off looking like a loser

Sad that he was treated so unfairly... The fact that in their last game of the season (a 71-66 loss to Youngstown State) he shot 7-26 FG and 4-16 from 3 (when he only needed a few more points) had nothing to do with him not getting the record. And in their last 3 losses at the end of the season he shot a combined 26-78 FG, 33%.. Had he made a few more of those shots not only would he have broken the record, but they might have had a winning record and been invited to a post-season tournament too... It was obviously a conspiracy though. I might even bet a vasectomy that some type of clandestine NCAA Deep State organization was able to secretly alter the height of the rims or significantly deflate the game balls before those last few games..😉

You know..I wonder how we would all feel if it was an RU player. I'm sure half of you would be clamoring for it.

This player wasny complaining on social media, he was interviewed. Said it was weird that people were actively calling CBI trying to ensure his teamcwas not invited which is vrry weird so he is right.
What's weirder is that his team was even considered but some of what he is saying makes sense.

You know..I wonder how we would all feel if it was an RU player. I'm sure half of you would be clamoring for it.
If the team had a .500 or better record and seemed just as deserving as other teams, then sure. But I highly doubt that many RU fans would want us to be included in a tournament with a 14-19 record, while other teams that obviously deserved it more are left out, just so one of our players could be given extra chances to break a record because he wasn't able to do it fairly during his normal career....

Isn’t the common ground that they both played for their Dad’s?
Yes, and Antoine Davis had the added advantage of playing for both his Dad and his assistant coach brother at the same time... I wonder if Detroit Mercy's routine game plan was for the rest of the team to always pass to Antoine and to only shoot if the shot clock was about to expire... 😉

So I came across my son's "participation trophy" during our move. His name, name of team and year. Nothing more than a souvenir of his season. No drummed up award or anything, just a keepsake. Not sure what the beef is about a memento

So I came across my son's "participation trophy" during our move. His name, name of team and year. Nothing more than a souvenir of his season. No drummed up award or anything, just a keepsake. Not sure what the beef is about a memento

because they are meaningless if everyone gets one. My youth track team had about 100 kids on it from ages 9-14, there was 1 trophy for the best boy and 1 for the best girl. It actually meant something if you got it.

because they are meaningless if everyone gets one. My youth track team had about 100 kids on it from ages 9-14, there was 1 trophy for the best boy and 1 for the best girl. It actually meant something if you got it.
I guess I don’t quite understand the participation trophy argument. Nobody is giving every player on the team an MVP award. That’s still only given to one player. Teams also award things like sportsmanship awards, most improved, yadda yadda. Then, perhaps, everyone gets a “participation” trophy as a memento as previously suggested. Kind of like if you complete a race (I.e. half marathon), most likely you’re going to receive a medal even if you didn’t win.

Does that really take away from the significance of the the trophy given to the winner? Or from the MVP/sportsmanship award in the other example?

I don’t feel strongly here, but I guess I don’t believe it does… everybody still knows what it is and what it means. And, maybe for the person receiving it, it means something… like hey I wasn’t very good but I stuck that out and learned some sh*t along the way. Or… I may have finished 245/550 in this marathon, but holy crap that was grueling, I trained hard, and this medal will always be a nice reminder of that.

I say this as someone who did a half marathon and have zero idea where the medal is, lol.

Agree. I’m seventy years old, so I played Little League a long time ago. Every kid on every team got a small trophy. The best player on each team got an extra larger trophy. Kids who made the All Star team got a special trophy. And there were a couple of league-wide trophies. We loved those trophies we all got and knew darn well that we didn’t get them for excellence. My last year, I got three trophies; previously, just the small one. I think people get hung up in the word “trophy.”

Growing up in the 60s and 70s I got participation trophies in some sports but not others. My kids played youth sports in the 90s and 00s and it was the same.

I‘m understandably confused when people my age gripe about the “everybody gets a trophy“ generations. Especially since we were the generation awarding the trophies.

This season Antoine Davis averaged over 22 shots per game, took more shots than their 3 top other starters combined, and had a lower FG% than all 3 of them at 41%.. (Which is a lower FG% than Maravich ever shot, although Maravich wasn't shooting threes).. Davis did shoot 41% from 3 though and over 90% from the foul line. Admittedly I've never watched him play, so I don't really know how good he really is.
Pete shot a ton of three's, they only counted as two's 😁

Reactions: BigRnj
Record probably will be broken eventually and if the rules permit it, no one should whine when that happens.
Pistol Pete's record was from a different era with different rules
Davis would have deserved a chance to break it if Detroit Mercy played in the CBI,
But that program didn't deserve to play in that buy in tourney because it's W-L record ( 14-19) was a losing one while all the other programs that bought their spot had winning ones, with the exception of 16-16 Southern Indiana

It seems his issue was more to do with the uprising against his team being invited to the CBI after it looked like it was going to happen. More nuanced than the headline but that’s media for you.
uprising was understandable looking at Detroit Mercy's W-L record
and how it would look being the only losing program allowed in the Tourney.

uprising was understandable looking at Detroit Mercy's W-L record
and how it would look being the only losing program allowed in the Tourney.
Agreed. But it’s also the CB-friggin’-I. Who in the fudgepack cares about maintaining its integrity? His game breaking the record might’ve been the first time the casual fan even heard of the CBI. I think people prefer halftime shows and informercials to the CBI.

Reactions: thegock
This has nothing to do with some fat kid losing in 2nd grade and getting a trophy for it

I saw a stat on social media. Not sure if it is entirely accurate. Something like this:

Pete set his record in 81 (maybe remember wrong number here) games for his career. If you took the top 81 individual scoring games across all of college basketball this year it still would be a significant gap to catch him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT