ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s R quarterback ?

Kind of a meaningless stat as has been discussed. These three players were good enough to make NFL rosters despite their high INT numbers.

Agreed. NFL caliber player under siege. Another player not mentioned is Tom Savage. Had an awesome freshman season and was named to the Freshman AA team. Sophomore year I remember him running for his life, taking big hits as he tried to stand tall and deliver throws, and he struggled. He was good enough as well to play in the NFL. OL protection and effective route runners go a long way.
While I agree that Savage had a great arm and a good year for us in 2009...he also had a injured Center and two interior OL that just were not good. But...with that said...pocket awareness and being a Freshman were an even bigger part of the sacks and getting hit. Way too often, our OL blocked for the play that was set up almost perfect, only to get up after the play and look in disbelief that Savage had been set in the wrong place or stepped the wrong way in the pocket. They had expected to see a positive play only to see a sack. And this was after a play. Other times, they would be blocking their guy as the play was drawn up only to back up into Tom where he shouldn't be.
Now, with that said, being a freshman can do that to you...And sophomore year, that OL was a complete disaster so I have no idea if he improved or not. As soon as they decided Howie was all we had at C and not play him in one of his natural positions, I knew it was going to be bad. I remember in 09 at Army. Later in the game they put Howie at C ...We were all talking with the OL before they get on the bus and Kevin and AD were busting on Howie for a play where he never snapped the ball on count and the whole OL jumped. Howie's only response, laughing was "What the F did you expect, I havent snapped a ball since HS and you expect me to be perfect in a game?" And the next year he is the starter there. I actually felt bad for him as he may have had a really good year at OG or OT in 2010 for us but he gave it up for the team

This is an idiotic "stat". Erney was a great QB. And your choices of numbers... 84... 1956.. what?

T84 ended 49Ints, 85th had 48Ints and the website tracked D-1 Interception stats since 1956. It is very concerning trend that Rutgers have 6 QBs (1986-89, 1997-2000, 2001-2002, 2002-05, 2005-08, and 2011-14) with most career Interceptions in the last 35 years.

I remember Erney a little, his stats aren't impressive 54% for 41TDs and 49Ints, but it was a different game. McMahon had as many good games as bad, most of his good games happened against bad teams and his bad games against good teams, because of limited talent around him.

Rutgers have never taken that next step as a program because of consistency at the QB position. Even Rutgers best season 11-2 in 2006 was attributed to the running game and Defense, Teel threw for 12TDs and 13Ints. We have won some games because of our QB play, but we lost more games because of our QB play. Last 20 years, 18 games-3+ Interceptions, 10 4+ Ints. (Cubit 2- 4Int., Hart 3- 4 Int., Teel 1- 4 Int., Nova 1 4 Int, 1 5 Int, 1 6 Int.).

No other college have 3 on that list, let alone 6, and Sitkowski will be 7 if given enough games before the end of his college career. Yes, our Oline and WRs were dreadful Sitkowski's true Freshman year. I'm hoping Gleeson will be a major difference in developing a QB, cut down on mistakes and break the trend of Rutgers QBs getting on that list.

T84 ended 49Ints, 85th had 48Ints and the website tracked D-1 Interception stats since 1956. It is very concerning trend that Rutgers have 6 QBs (1986-89, 1997-2000, 2001-2002, 2002-05, 2005-08, and 2011-14) with most career Interceptions in the last 35 years.

I remember Erney a little, his stats aren't impressive 54% for 41TDs and 49Ints, but it was a different game. McMahon had as many good games as bad, most of his good games happened against bad teams and his bad games against good teams, because of limited talent around him.

Rutgers have never taken that next step as a program because of consistency at the QB position. Even Rutgers best season 11-2 in 2006 was attributed to the running game and Defense, Teel threw for 12TDs and 13Ints. We have won some games because of our QB play, but we lost more games because of our QB play. Last 20 years, 18 games-3+ Interceptions, 10 4+ Ints. (Cubit 2- 4Int., Hart 3- 4 Int., Teel 1- 4 Int., Nova 1 4 Int, 1 5 Int, 1 6 Int.).

No other college have 3 on that list, let alone 6, and Sitkowski will be 7 if given enough games before the end of his college career. Yes, our Oline and WRs were dreadful Sitkowski's true Freshman year. I'm hoping Gleeson will be a major difference in developing a QB, cut down on mistakes and break the trend of Rutgers QBs getting on that list.
okay.. lets take a look..

1956 to 2020.. 64 years.. lets asssume you are not going to be high on that list if you only started 1 or 2 years. so you start by considering teams that don't have the recruiting power to have a starter QB in waiting on the bench... or QBs going pro early.. which happens at all the best programs.

So assuming 3 years starting is the minimum to make it near the top of the list. let us use round figures.. 60 years.. that's 20 3-year QBs. let us figure 100 D1 programs, again for round figures. So the total QBs are around 2000 and up (for the 2 and 1 year starters). This list only goes to 251. So the entire list are QBs who threw a lot of INTs.

You can click on the college column to sort it there... USC has 3 names. Rutgers 5. Does it really matter since the entire 251 names are all high-INT QBs? The USC guys threw 42. 48 and 49 in 3, 3 and 4 years. Northwestern has 6 names. Florida has 5. Bama has zero, Penn State 1, Army and Navy each have 2.

Rutgers has started how many QBs over that timeframe? 30? 40? And 5 of them made this list? That means 25-35 did not make that list.

It is a stupid stat from which to try to draw conclusions that we do not already know. It reveals nothing.

Last edited:
For those RU fans who saw Mike McMahon play at RU, you saw a QB literally with the opposing DL in his face on most plays.

He accomplished a great deal of offense with very little protection by running and throwing. His numbers don’t indicate how effective he was as a QB.
Mike McMahon was actually a great athlete with above average speed ... fantastic arm... with no help upfront. People who saw him play always wish he were still here.

Interceptions are the main differences between 7-5, 8-4 every season and contending for Conference titles.

2005 7-5, 20 TD, 19 Ints 2006 11-2, 12 TD, 13 Int, 2007 8-5, 21 TD, 13 Int.,
2008 8-5, 26 TD, 15 Int. 2009 9-4 15 TD, 10 Int. 2011 9-4, 21 TD, 16 Int.
2012 9-4, 23 TD, 16 Int. 2013 6-7 22 TD, 22 Int. 2014 8-5, 22 TD, 13 Int.

Not one of our last 9 bowl years, our QBs had a 2:1 ratio. Only 1 QB since 1956 had that ratio, Rich Policastro had a 29 TD, 9 Int in 1968-69, they were 8-2, 6-3.

Reactions: redking
Another reason it is a meaningless stat: if a team is bad with a bad running game, they will often be losing a high percentage of the time and often early in the game and what does a team need to do to catch up??? PASS. And what does the defense know the losing team is going to do?? PASS. So how does this affect interception rates. ? I’ll let you figure that one out for yourself. And as we all know, Rutgers has had many losing seasons over the years where our team has been playing catch-up from early on in games.. another reason it is rediculous to bring up this stat

Another reason it is a meaningless stat: if a team is bad with a bad running game, they will often be losing a high percentage of the time and often early in the game and what does a team need to do to catch up??? PASS. And what does the defense know the losing team is going to do?? PASS. So how does this affect interception rates. ? I’ll let you figure that one out for yourself. And as we all know, Rutgers has had many losing seasons over the years where our team has been playing catch-up from early on in games.. another reason it is rediculous to bring up this stat
Our running game was bad because every team stacked the box with 8-9 guys because they knew AS was zero threat; we actually have had good to very good RBs, but with no passing game the run game struggles.

Funny how no one said a word about a QB who was the #1 QB on the #1 HS Team was cast aside to play TE after playing 1 game and never had a real shot. And another QB, who transfered out after being the best QB in the spring game, didnt have the same 50/50 argument that this QB who was benched in his HS senior year on a team full of All Stars.

McMahon was a great athlete with a plus arm whos bad decision making was his undoing in college and in the pros. He was given every chance with the Lions but couldn't keep from turning the ball over. Always rooted for him to succeed. Granted he played on some bad teams but I actually liked the receivers he was throwing to at RU.

McMahon was a great athlete with a plus arm whos bad decision making was his undoing in college and in the pros. He was given every chance with the Lions but couldn't keep from turning the ball over. Always rooted for him to succeed. Granted he played on some bad teams but I actually liked the receivers he was throwing to at RU.
You think they were bad teams...McMahon was constantly running for his life... He also forced his throws but he had the athleticism for sure.

1 month until the season. What’s our roster, and what are the predictions for the depth chart at this spot? Who starts? What separates who from who? Frosh? Transfer? Sitkowski?
Dunno, but once the season starts, the experts will let let us know that the next Heisman candidate is on our bench!

Reactions: Knight Shift
Mike McMahon was actually a great athlete with above average speed ... fantastic arm... with no help upfront. People who saw him play always wish he were still here.

Agree, and only a guy with his athleticism can move the ball when you can't block up front. Expecting AS to be able to do that is absurd and shows you don't understand the game.

Guys like McMahon are few and far between.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Agree, and only a guy with his athleticism can move the ball when you can't block up front. Expecting AS to be able to do that is absurd and shows you don't understand the game.

Guys like McMahon are few and far between.
I never said Sitkowski was a guy who could run like ....McMahon...I understand the game explicitly more than most... the disagree is that we don’t write him off just yet...let the staff do it... if you could read you would understand that...

Saw him play in numerous games. Best RU QB over the last 30 years.
I second this.
I drove out to watch him in the Big 33 game with LaVar Arrington and the like, and thought "Man, he's raw but I hope they can protect him and develop him, because this kid has talent." His true freshman year was my last year on the beat, and he was an outstanding athlete (fast-twitch wise) and had an NFL arm already. And got beat up with no protection whatsoever on a winless team.

Reactions: RUBOB72
I never said Sitkowski was a guy who could run like ....McMahon...I understand the game explicitly more than most... the disagree is that we don’t write him off just yet...let the staff do it... if you could read you would understand that...

I was agreeing with you.

I was agreeing with you.
Sorry... when using “ shows you don’t understand the game” was what threw me off ... But I do understand sports and have played them all at one time or another ...Remember to understand or even be a good coach doesn’t necessarily mean one has to be good at the sport itself... it helps but not a prerequisite .

Reactions: Knightmoves
Vedral, with his mobility, gives you a good chance to at least move the sticks.

Sit will get an NFL tryout no matter what happens to him the next couple of years. I wonder what Sit would have done throwing to T. Brown and M. Sanu....on a team with a great defense and playing a Big East schedule...(2009).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT