ADVERTISEMENT

Why do they need to interview coaches DURING the game?

Scarlet Jerry

All Conference
Jul 30, 2001
It's really not fair to the coaches. I understand doing interviews at halftime and at the beginning of the third quarter, but what's the purpose of an interview while the game is being played? It would drive me crazy as a coach, and they are not going to reveal anything informative anyway.

Scarlet Jerry

It's really not fair to the coaches. I understand doing interviews at halftime and at the beginning of the third quarter, but what's the purpose of an interview while the game is being played? It would drive me crazy as a coach, and they are not going to reveal anything informative anyway.

Scarlet Jerry
Going to Blacksburg?

More chances to see RU’s very own Taryn Hatcher at work is not a bad thing. No doubt the coaches hate it, just like every other press-related duty. But yeah, the networks probably make it a part of their contracts.

Reactions: newell138
It is part of the deal with the network broadcast.
Coaches know/decide who is interviewing going into half & then the other is interviewed coming back to start 3rd.

Do you get any real revealing info? No
But it's a way to get viewers more insight into the game. If there were only post game interviews, someone would want in game content.

** This won't happen for many reasons** but wouldn't it be cool to hear coordinators headsets & in game conversations live? That would be a window into how & why plays are called, etc. Imagine watching an away game, games tied late in 4th quarter, RU has the ball 4th & long close to midfield & you hear greenlight the fake punt. Waiting for the play to unfold would be awesome.

Instead we get we need to clean up some things & execute better. Need to reduce turnovers, etc.

Coaches know/decide who is interviewing going into half & then the other is interviewed coming back to start 3rd.

But it's a way to get viewers more insight into the game. If there were only post game interviews, someone would want in game content.

** This won't happen for many reasons** but wouldn't it be cool to hear coordinators headsets & in game conversations live? That would be a window into how & why plays are called, etc. Imagine watching an away game, games tied late in 4th quarter, RU has the ball 4th & long close to midfield & you hear greenlight the fake punt. Waiting for the play to unfold would be awesome.

Instead we get we need to clean up some things & execute better. Need to reduce turnovers, etc.
I’m not talking about the interviews before or after the half. I’m talking about interviewing the coaches when their team is on the field running plays in the 4th quarter with the game on the line. They did it at the Texas State vs ASU game last night. I’ve seen them do it before.

I’m not talking about the interviews before or after the half. I’m talking about interviewing the coaches when their team is on the field running plays in the 4th quarter with the game on the line. They did it at the Texas State vs ASU game last night. I’ve seen them do it before.
I hate this new wrinkle in TV coverage.
They do it in baseball also during playoffs. Hate it.

Reactions: Rufaninga and Kbee3
That drives me nuts too. All of these interviews aren't necessary, but interviews during the game are completely unnecessary.

More chances to see RU’s very own Taryn Hatcher at work is not a bad thing. No doubt the coaches hate it, just like every other press-related duty. But yeah, the networks probably make it a part of their contracts.
She "said Thank You Greg".. not "Coach", not "Coach Schiano"... know someone who found that odd but she has been around the program way back when during GS1.0.. so I get it. But others might not.

She "said Thank You Greg".. not "Coach", not "Coach Schiano"... know someone who found that odd but she has been around the program way back when during GS1.0.. so I get it. But others might not.
She can call me “Greg” anytime. Or whatever she wants. Sadly, she will almost certainly never call me. 😀

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
If they want that, they should just show shots of Taylor Swift at the Chiefs games.
Reversing the old Old Spice commercials, showing Taylor Swift during KC games is interesting to women, but I like it too. Mostly ‘cause of how it pisses people off. 😁

In that United football league/xfl they microphone the players and coaches live. It is cool

Reactions: Rufaninga
I agree most of the on field interviews suck and sideline reporters are worthless . But once in a while you get some good stuff. Ones that come to mind :

Richard Sherman talking about crabtree (although that was immediate postgame)
Schiano cryptically telling everyone Michigan was cheating.
Norries Wilson pregame Penn state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT