ADVERTISEMENT

Why does Rutgers seem small time?

Oddly vague post. How about specifics? What do you find to be minor league? Have you seen the Rodkin Center? Have you seen the APC practice facility? Maybe comparing PSU to RU is just unrealistic? PSU and Clemson had a 50 year start on RU.
already asked twice and obviously avoiding to answer.

Oddly vague post. How about specifics? What do you find to be minor league? Have you seen the Rodkin Center? Have you seen the APC practice facility? Maybe comparing PSU to RU is just unrealistic? PSU and Clemson had a 50 year start on RU

I have a freshman at RU and a senior at Clemson. I have been to PSU a hundred times. I have been to every BIG campus for a game and to me it seems like RU is minor league. From the football stadiums, the basketball arenas, new construction on campus, etc. With enrollment at RU so big shouldn't it be better?

If you wanted to engage in a constructive dialogue you sure could improve the delivery, starting with the thread title. That would have kept the flaming down and you wouldn't have been perceived as a condescending pr#ck.

The answers to various institutional, historical, political, and other factors impacting what has limited Rutgers and its potential (across the spectrum, not only athletics) is a long story, though it's not totally unique either. Many other institutions face similar challenges and deal with organizational inertia. But things are improving at RU across many fronts and it's a journey. Hope your son can enjoy the ride.
He's Not a Perceived Prick...He's all in on that...So He thinks crummy RYAN Field at Northwestern is Big Time and compares to Rutgers ? What a Clown and oh yeah a Prick! Also if You have been to PSU 100's of times pretty good chance you were Molested in a Penn State locker room by a Football coach

Last edited:
you people can flame me all you want but here is my point, Iowa and Nebraska have no business coming to RU and leaving with a W. Kudos to the fans who were there Friday, but the place should have been packed. I had PSU tix for years (take your shots) until my son went to Clemson. Neither place has the population that RU does yet they draw 85 to 100,000. I don't see it at RU but I hope it changes. My son has season tickets and has seen every snap. His top 5 schools were RU, UM, PSU, Pitt and Clemson. He choose RU. I will be at the PSU game with my red on. I am not flaming. I just wish it were better.

The honest answer is because Rutgers alumni haven’t donated to the extent that OSU, UM, and PSU have. Now we have an opportunity to rectify this. We will soon be raising money for a new football Fieldhouse. Once built, it will allow us to be more competitive for the best recruits, build a better football product, which will drive demand, and ultimately expand the football stadium. Stadium can be expanded to 80K.

let's forget PSU for a minute and talk Clemson. Both boys were in honors college. Clemson honors students had first crack at classes, RU not. Therefore son at RU not able to get all the classes he wanted. RU honors is what, 5 years old? AC broken multiple times already, water running down the walls from the AC above, no response from service calls. Both schools have an excellent Italian reputation, but RU Italian class cancelled because there is no one to teach it. The bus situation, we won't even go there. Now, Clemson basketball sucks, yet they have a nice state of the art arena. Do you think we can eventually remove the draped JMA sign with something real? I'm sorry people maybe I expected more being RU is in the BIG. And BTW, maybe you are aware it's not just me in regard to Clemson as NJ is the 3rd highest state sending students there. Must be a reason many flee the state.

Reactions: King of S and 17Q66
let's forget PSU for a minute and talk Clemson. Both boys were in honors college. Clemson honors students had first crack at classes, RU not. Therefore son at RU not able to get all the classes he wanted. RU honors is what, 5 years old? AC broken multiple times already, water running down the walls from the AC above, no response from service calls. Both schools have an excellent Italian reputation, but RU Italian class cancelled because there is no one to teach it. The bus situation, we won't even go there. Now, Clemson basketball sucks, yet they have a nice state of the art arena. Do you think we can eventually remove the draped JMA sign with something real? I'm sorry people maybe I expected more being RU is in the BIG. And BTW, maybe you are aware it's not just me in regard to Clemson as NJ is the 3rd highest state sending students there. Must be a reason many flee the state.
RU is ranked higher than both schools despite the AC not working in the honors college lol. Also has higher SAT scores.

The banner is obviously temporary on the RAC. Also it doesn't matter the atmosphere in the RAC is superior to everywhere else in the conference besides Purdue and Indiana.

It costs like 3x as much to build in NJ than middle of nowhere SC or Pennsylvania.

Last edited:
Oh, look. The OP is back trying to defend attacking OUR school. Hey OP, did you contribute to Jerry Sandusky's defense fund?

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
Honestly, those other power 5 schools have decades, 40, 50, 60 years, of a head start on playing "big time" football. We were in the A-10, Big East and AAC. Where was all this money coming to make our facilities comparable to a Penn State or a Clemson? I'll give you the air conditioning problem though. lol.

Reactions: batts

I apologize to the board for giving you a polite reply to your first post. I gave you the benefit of the doubt then. I have since edited it.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
It costs like 3x as much to build in NJ than middle of nowhere SC or Pennsylvania.
Was going to say this.. and then you got the unions and union rules about who can fix, what, when.. blah blah blah. Being in New Jersey has some advantages... but I expect the net-net is a very big negative.

Was going to say this.. and then you got the unions and union rules about who can fix, what, when.. blah blah blah. Being in New Jersey has some advantages... but I expect the net-net is a very big negative.
You can always move.🙂

Not sure what’s so hard to understand. NJ support for its state university was a bare minimum until 2006 and then not until recently have we actually seen real support happening both verbally and monetarily. That lack of support and being in minor conferences meant no money for sports and very little to upgrade facilities in general. This led to abysmal performance in sports which meant little in the way of alumni support. A vicious cycle that takes many years to correct. The other schools you cite, it’s the opposite and has been so for decades. New BIG money will help for sure and RU is doing well in a number of sports as has been cited. Football is the hardest particularly when you’re in the hardest division in the land.

Now not sure what your citing from a faculties perspective as RU has spent billions over the last decade on upgrading facilities. The honor school is brand new, must be some construction issues that I’m sure will be worked out. RAC needs to be renovated and it’s on the list. New practice facility is rate of the art. But decades of neglect can’t be fixed overnight. jMA. Relationship is brand new and they are renovating the Rac so wouldn’t it make sense to have a new sign be part of the Reno?

It seems you are letting your PSU experience of RU color your views. I’m glad your decent enough not let it color your kids choices.

With all of that RU is the better school overall and the gap will get wider. I’m sure both kids will have great time during their stint and the air conditioning will be a blip on the screen.

Not sure what’s so hard to understand. NJ support for its state university was a bare minimum until 2006 and then not until recently have we actually seen real support happening both verbally and monetarily. That lack of support and being in minor conferences meant no money for sports and very little to upgrade facilities in general. This led to abysmal performance in sports which meant little in the way of alumni support. A vicious cycle that takes many years to correct. The other schools you cite, it’s the opposite and has been so for decades. New BIG money will help for sure and RU is doing well in a number of sports as has been cited. Football is the hardest particularly when you’re in the hardest division in the land.

Now not sure what your citing from a faculties perspective as RU has spent billions over the last decade on upgrading facilities. The honor school is brand new, must be some construction issues that I’m sure will be worked out. RAC needs to be renovated and it’s on the list. New practice facility is rate of the art. But decades of neglect can’t be fixed overnight. jMA. Relationship is brand new and they are renovating the Rac so wouldn’t it make sense to have a new sign be part of the Reno?

It seems you are letting your PSU experience of RU color your views. I’m glad your decent enough not let it color your kids choices.

With all of that RU is the better school overall and the gap will get wider. I’m sure both kids will have great time during their stint and the air conditioning will be a blip on the screen.
well said

well said
PSUJEJR, it seems that you really do have kid(s) at Clemson. So I apologize for my remark upstream in which I expressed doubt about that.

I have not fully reviewed the thread since then, not sure what else is in here...

Why would you?
Well, as mentioned in the post to which I replied, to cut building and operating costs.

That was the whole point of that line of the discussion. Everything costs so much in New Jersey that it affects what Rutgers can build for what price. Of course, it cannot be feasible to do such a thing so my response was just rhetoric to reinforce the earlier poster's point.

The bus situation, we won't even go there.
Why should we not go there? Few will argue that it's a positive aspect of the campus experience but it's a reality. Operating the largest university bus system in the country is anything but small time. Other schools have multi-campus setups and bus systems...Michigan-Ann Arbor and Duke come to mind. Despite having buses, a sizable number of NJ students students attend both of those institutions. Buses are a reality of a large campus that's noncontiguous and spread out physically.

Having the second largest on-campus residential portfolio in the country (2nd behind only Michigan State) in terms of # of beds is also not small-time. Apparently PSU-University Park has about 10,000 more undergrads yet houses 2,000 fewer, compared to RU-New Brunswick. Would it be fair to say Crappy valley is "small time" by that measure? Don't they have the money/resources to allocate some land (on a campus that's 3x the size - 8,000 AC vs. 2,700 AC) and build more dorms/apartments for their students?

Why should we not go there? Few will argue that it's a positive aspect of the campus experience but it's a reality. Operating the largest university bus system in the country is anything but small time. Other schools have multi-campus setups and bus systems...Michigan-Ann Arbor and Duke come to mind. Despite having buses, a sizable number of NJ students students attend both of those institutions. Buses are a reality of a large campus that's noncontiguous and spread out physically.

Having the second largest on-campus residential portfolio in the country (2nd behind only Michigan State) in terms of # of beds is also not small-time. Apparently PSU-University Park has about 10,000 more undergrads yet houses 2,000 fewer, compared to RU-New Brunswick. Would it be fair to say Crappy valley is "small time" by that measure? Don't they have the money/resources to allocate some land (on a campus that's 3x the size - 8,000 AC vs. 2,700 AC) and build more dorms/apartments for their students?

Monorail.

Reactions: psujejr and RUnTeX
If anybody is gonna make fun of this piece of crap institution, it’s us! The ones who paid to attend it! So STFU! :D

…kidding

Last edited:
The RAC >>>>> Clemson’s arena

Wow it’s bigger and shinier. Too bad you can’t buy a top notch environment. It’s something we have, similar to Duke, that you’ll never have.

Reactions: RU-AGK
PSUJEJR, it seems that you really do have kid(s) at Clemson. So I apologize for my remark upstream in which I expressed doubt about that.

I have not fully reviewed the thread since then, not sure what else is in here...
senior at clemson, freshman at rutgers

People I apologize. I really had no idea what RU was up against all these years. Hell, I have lived my whole life in NJ and never really paid attention to RU. I just want the best for my boys and I know Clemson has given son #1 (besides great football) a great co-op and a job waiting for him in Naples, Fl. As long as son #2 is happy at RU that is all that matters. I just hope his issues all get worked out. We are looking forward to basketball season.

Reactions: pmvon
you people can flame me all you want but here is my point, Iowa and Nebraska have no business coming to RU and leaving with a W. Kudos to the fans who were there Friday, but the place should have been packed. I had PSU tix for years (take your shots) until my son went to Clemson. Neither place has the population that RU does yet they draw 85 to 100,000. I don't see it at RU but I hope it changes. My son has season tickets and has seen every snap. His top 5 schools were RU, UM, PSU, Pitt and Clemson. He choose RU. I will be at the PSU game with my red on. I am not flaming. I just wish it were better.
Your missing the point, what else is there to do at PSU, Iowa, Nebraska compared to where RU is located?

I have attended games at MTSU for my entire life. That is a small time school and program. There is no comparison, Rutgers is in another universe compared to mid-major/so-called "small time" programs.

People I apologize. I really had no idea what RU was up against all these years. Hell, I have lived my whole life in NJ and never really paid attention to RU. I just want the best for my boys and I know Clemson has given son #1 (besides great football) a great co-op and a job waiting for him in Naples, Fl. As long as son #2 is happy at RU that is all that matters. I just hope his issues all get worked out. We are looking forward to basketball season.
“All his issues worked out”

What a freggin broken AC? Lmao gtfo

Reactions: LETSGORU91
“All his issues worked out”

What a freggin broken AC? Lmao gtfo
I know, right? That and his son didnt get priority scheduling in the honors program. Aside from the repetitive shower rape that help define Paterno's stint, maybe we should also discuss the culture of underage drinking and Tim Piazza's death :

"A grand jury report on Friday blamed Penn State University for allowing a lack of oversight, shoddy record-keeping and an accepted culture of underage drinking and hazing to flourish for years before culminating in the February death of a fraternity pledge."

Or the sexual allegations in the PSU locker room. Or the rape coverup by HC Franklin at Vandy?

Take your pick OP. Oh so proud of PSU.

I have a freshman at RU and a senior at Clemson. I have been to PSU a hundred times. I have been to every BIG campus for a game and to me it seems like RU is minor league. From the football stadiums, the basketball arenas, new construction on campus, etc. With enrollment at RU so big shouldn't it be better?
Why is your mother known as the BJ queen?

suck my dick GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Jm0513
right-dr-evil.gif

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
Since you continue to dodge the questions about the athletic facilities only to spin into other bitching I'll answer your question on the AC dripping outside.

We prefer to have our showers in public to avoid ya know.. stuff done in private.

Ps.. draped Jersey Mike's Sign? Iirc that's been a mounted lighted sign. Outside looks like crap. But what the hell does that have to do with anything.

Our stadium might be smaller than Penn states but it’s actually much nicer as much as we bitch about it. They are going to upgrade it soon though. Our beer choices are way better. Rac is miles better than their bball arena. They have us beat with hockey. That said op is an obvious troll and or a moron. RU doesn’t look small time at all. Opposing fans rave about it including my buddy who’s a big Nebraska fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT