ADVERTISEMENT

Why does Rutgers seem small time?

To answer your question Rutgers didn’t commit to big time athletics until the 80s. So the schools you mention have an advantage there. Rutgers still has boosters and administration that don’t care about big time athletics.

I had a daughter graduate from Clemson (2018) and a New Jersey native. First of all, RU never invested in or made athletics a priority until recently nor did the alummni invest in it. We have a self loathing population that paid out of state tuition to go to these big out of state institutions and cone back and complain that it is a waste of tax payer money. Add on the fact that the cost of labor here compared to South Carolina and our need to have everything union. Plus the red tape. I watched so many buildings go up at Clemson in 4 years that my daughter was there because they get cooperation on all levels.

Our football stadium is the same size as Oregons. The RAC has a top 10 atmosphere in all college basketball. I'm confused about the new construction comment, don't know what that means.

Plans the renovate the RAC are underway.

Football is "small time" because we haven't been good in over ten years.

When I was a student at RU the atmosphere was great.

There's your answers, now fck off.

And the RAC is ready superior to Cameron. Apparently a big arena is not a requirement for a quality hoops program.

To be fair, Dave Portnoy asked the same thing yesterday a few times. He kept saying we have a nice campus, have a lot of talent in the state and there's no reason we shouldn't be a powerhouse in football.

This thread would have been deleted in 5 mins on BWI. 5 hours now still going strong. He’s right, we are small time especially this board and Moderators.

Reactions: 17Q66
I have a freshman at RU and a senior at Clemson. I have been to PSU a hundred times. I have been to every BIG campus for a game and to me it seems like RU is minor league. From the football stadiums, the basketball arenas, new construction on campus, etc. With enrollment at RU so big shouldn't it be better?
First of all we have ONE Football Stadiums and ONE Basketball Arenas. Singular.
But to be clear about what you mean please tell us what you mean? What is minor league about the facilities? Other than Beaver Stadium what does PSU offer that is so superior to Rutgers?

And since your opinion seems to be derived from going to Football games you do know that Rutgers gets far less from the NJ Tax payer than most every other state school and we haven't been getting those boatloads of B1G cash as the others have been getting FOR YEARS. Right?

But seriously. Throw out the football stadium (or not) and tell us .

PS.so glad the younger kid got your wife's brains.. (sorry, Had to take my shot and just kidding).

Last edited:
Rutgers finished 48th in the Learfield Directors cup (should be way higher, baseball got snubbed), PSU finished... 43rd.

You guys are really big time...

I have a freshman at RU and a senior at Clemson. I have been to PSU a hundred times. I have been to every BIG campus for a game and to me it seems like RU is minor league. From the football stadiums, the basketball arenas, new construction on campus, etc. With enrollment at RU so big shouldn't it be better?

Sorry we aren't caught up to the awesome infrastructure of Pedd State - or the Child Rape and Cover ups.

#JOEKNEW

why do you have to be an asshole?

Don't worry I'll forward him the one's your wife sent me. They're probably clearer than his. Based on what I'm seeing though he doesn't really want them clearer.

Why did Penn state knowingly allow innocent young boys to be ass-raped in their showers?

Rutgers isn’t small time now, but was decades behind the most successful programs in joining the arms race. Even still, RU isnt smaller time than Minnesota, Purdue, Indiana or Northwestern to name a few. And RU is bigger time than probably every nonP5 program excluding BYU and ND.

Clemson is in the middle of nowhere. Give me a break.
Making the point. just like PSU, Clemson is in the middle of nowhere. Nothing for anyone to do but follow your local college team.
Forget proximity to NYC. Just look at these numbers.

Population:
Clemson, SC - 13,000
State College, PA - 42,000
New Brunswick, NJ - 55,000

I don’t think location matters all that much. USC, Texas, LSU, Michigan and a few other blue bloods are in or very near big cities, and there are P5 colleges in the boonies which aren’t better programs than Rutgers.
Columbus Ohio is more populous than Cleveland and Cincinnati I believe

Mostly it comes down to is university support and investment. Rutgers started much later and that’s why they are behind the usual big boys.

Location in terms of hs talent matters too. Florida, Texas and Georgia are going to have better players than Washington St, Iowa State and Oregon St.

I wonder why neither of the OP's children are attending that bastion of academia in central Pennsyltucky. The Rutgers one will be the better for it. As for the Clemson one, could go either way.

I would suggest that the vast majority of people in NJ don't care about RU sports and have zero interest in funding any big time improvements.
Case in point my wife pointed out my neighbors Facebook post after we lost to OSU trashing us. He has no association with RU and didn’t go to college at all. Another one who looks down on RU. His daughter could have played lax at RU but chose OSU because of the stature She rode the bench for 4 years and if I’m not mistaken lost to RU every year even though OSU was ranked higher each year
It’s the typical attitude of most in this state who feel RU isn’t good enough for their kids

I'd bet he's "unmarried," though. So perhaps you meant his ex-wife's nudes?

Possibly. She didn't really say.

You could be right, though. He may be living in a parking lot-view 3rd floor garden apartment and driving a fully loaded 2011 Taurus.

Making the point. just like PSU, Clemson is in the middle of nowhere. Nothing for anyone to do but follow your local college team.
Forget proximity to NYC. Just look at these numbers.

Population:
Clemson, SC - 13,000
State College, PA - 42,000
New Brunswick, NJ - 55,000
More significant, though, New Brunswick is situated in a continuous path of densely populated communities, whereas those other schools are isolated as population "centers."

Reactions: colbert17
you people can flame me all you want but here is my point, Iowa and Nebraska have no business coming to RU and leaving with a W. Kudos to the fans who were there Friday, but the place should have been packed. I had PSU tix for years (take your shots) until my son went to Clemson. Neither place has the population that RU does yet they draw 85 to 100,000. I don't see it at RU but I hope it changes. My son has season tickets and has seen every snap. His top 5 schools were RU, UM, PSU, Pitt and Clemson. He choose RU. I will be at the PSU game with my red on. I am not flaming. I just wish it were better.

you people can flame me all you want but here is my point, Iowa and Nebraska have no business coming to RU and leaving with a W. Kudos to the fans who were there Friday, but the place should have been packed. I had PSU tix for years (take your shots) until my son went to Clemson. Neither place has the population that RU does yet they draw 85 to 100,000. I don't see it at RU but I hope it changes. My son has season tickets and has seen every snap. His top 5 schools were RU, UM, PSU, Pitt and Clemson. He choose RU. I will be at the PSU game with my red on. I am not flaming. I just wish it were better.
OK, but you didn't answer my question. You made these broad statements about facilities across the sports and are now showing that it's totally based on the football stadiums and fanbase.

The history of winning by those programs and the geographic location matter. The competition for the fan base from 3 professional teams within an hour matter. The diversity of the fan base matters. When we were winning we put 50k in the stadium.

We don't have a cult-like fan, academic, and media base. Two of those 3 work directly against the school to make the third negative with their constant attacks on sports spending and other manipulated reporting.

I'm not going to defend our non-core fan base. There are issues. But I also wouldn't want to be associated with the mindset of Happy Valley fan base (fans, not the team).

Columbus is 3x Cincinnati and 2.5x Cleveland in terms of city populations, yet the MSAs of Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati are all similar at about 2M.
And those 3 MSA’s combined still don’t even have the population of NYC and a small pimple when compared to the NY/NJ MSA of 20 million+ people. Rutgers is sitting on a potential hotbed of interest waiting to explode. Just need a much better product to put on the field.

If you wanted to engage in a constructive dialogue you sure could improve the delivery, starting with the thread title. That would have kept the flaming down and you wouldn't have been perceived as a condescending pr#ck.

The answers to various institutional, historical, political, and other factors impacting what has limited Rutgers and its potential (across the spectrum, not only athletics) is a long story, though it's not totally unique either. Many other institutions face similar challenges and deal with organizational inertia. But things are improving at RU across many fronts and it's a journey. Hope your son can enjoy the ride.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
And those 3 MSA’s combined still don’t even have the population of NYC and a small pimple when compared to the NY/NJ MSA of 20 million+ people. Rutgers is sitting on a potential hotbed of interest waiting to explode. Just need a much better product to put on the field.
Sure, and those sheer numbers translate into RU not even needing to scratch the surface of NYC's population (or anyone in upstate NY, or LI, or CT) as long as they can capture just a consistent portion of the NJ population with a better product.

That said, Ohio's state pop'n is about 2.5M greater than NJ's, and of course OSU's conversion rate of that populace has been much greater with their sustained success.

It's a reasonable question. If you live in NJ and are putting a student through undergrad here, I'm honestly curious why you feel like Rutgers is - in 2022 - a minor league campus, and what you know about Rutgers's 20th and 21st century histories.

It's a reasonable question. If you live in NJ and are putting a student through undergrad here, I'm honestly curious why you feel like Rutgers is - in 2022 - a minor league campus, and what you know about Rutgers's 20th and 21st century histories.

He sounds like a NJ resident who DOESN'T have a student on campus.

Everything about Rutgers is big time besides the football program right now. For PSU, other than football culture which they treat like religion and put over things like human safety and livelihood, much else feels like going to the county fair up in the middle
Of nowhere. And basketball lol lol has the atmosphere of a community college ...embarrassing for Pennsylvania
True.
This thread would have been deleted in 5 mins on BWI. 5 hours now still going strong. He’s right, we are small time especially this board and Moderators.
First part, true.

Second part? Nah, I knew the thread would turn out like @RU848789 said...and that's because we have better Board overall, moderation and clientele.
Saw the original post and was going to jump in with my version of nastiness, but then read through the thread and realized my input was not required. Well done Rutgers fans!

A very reasonable question.

Last edited:
Oddly vague post. How about specifics? What do you find to be minor league? Have you seen the Rodkin Center? Have you seen the APC practice facility? Maybe comparing PSU to RU is just unrealistic? PSU and Clemson had a 50 year start on RU.

If you wanted to engage in a constructive dialogue you sure could improve the delivery, starting with the thread title. That would have kept the flaming down and you wouldn't have been perceived as a condescending pr#ck.

The answers to various institutional, historical, political, and other factors impacting what has limited Rutgers and its potential (across the spectrum, not only athletics) is a long story, though it's not totally unique either. Many other institutions face similar challenges and deal with organizational inertia. But things are improving at RU across many fronts and it's a journey. Hope your son can enjoy the ride.
point taken

So did I. So where would you rate her on a scale from 1 to 10? Give it your best shot despite the graininess of the images.
That wasn't graininess on the image... the camera did not lie. She gets, like, zero bills tossed to her at the club.. patrons boo when she comes out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT