ADVERTISEMENT

Why doesn’t Pike play Jones?

Because he is an awful coach. It’s pretty obvious at this point.

He started. Didn’t do great. Needed D down tge stretch.

No reason to play Caleb anymore this season. Might as well develop Jones and Cliff and hope they don't head to the portal. Palmquist. Rieber, and Gonzalez-Agee should only play when absolutely needed. We seem to be back to square one. Pike needs to hammer the portal because this team is toast.

5-11 fg, 11 points, 4 boards, 3 offensive, 1-5 3pt

just 1-1 in the last 15 minutes of the game in extremely limited minutes

Paul was terrific today and deserved every minute. He also hit the would be game winner.

Caleb actually had a solid game too. Missing the front end of the 1/1 was the back breaker that erased everything prior.

wait so these guys combined for 71 minutes on a team that gave up 16 threes the far majority uncontested, got it

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
wait so these guys combined for 71 minutes on a team that gave up 16 threes the far majority uncontested, got it

You don’t have to be sarcastic. I actually respect your opinions which is why I’m surprised you wouldn’t agree Paul was our best player today. He also wasn’t the reason Kelly went off.

Reactions: zebnatto
Why do I continue to see a subset of our fan base actively managing out Jones and Cliff? Three references alone in this thread and countless in other threads. I'm as pissed as anyone about the terrible start but what a loser mentality. Maybe they like it here and don't want to transfer because we lost three games. Maybe they are tough and resilient? Maybe they wish that our fans didn't suck? Maybe they're not the type of people to cut and run at any sign of adversity? Maybe they wonder how some of you keep jobs or spouses?

You don’t have to be sarcastic. I actually respect your opinions which is why I’m surprised you wouldn’t agree Paul was our best player today. He also wasn’t the reason Kelly went off.

he was and yet the fact that he was and is our option for the last shot and playing 36 minutes is a big indictment on where we are at with this program

overall he played well, but he was part of a defensive unit that was really bad

Why do I continue to see a subset of our fan base actively managing out Jones and Cliff? Three references alone in this thread and countless in other threads. I'm as pissed as anyone about the terrible start but what a loser mentality. Maybe they like it here and don't want to transfer because we lost three games. Maybe they are tough and resilient? Maybe they wish that our fans didn't suck? Maybe they're not the type of people to cut and run at any sign of adversity? Maybe they wonder how some of you keep jobs or spouses?
Pike is doing the managing. This just reading the tea leaves. I don’t want Pike doing anything that could potentially lead to that happening I want those kids here. Precedent is already from previous season so not an out of the blue thing.

Jones needs to play 28 plus minutes a game . Let him play through mistakes , everyone else makes them but at least he can score and has upside
The kid has shown he can score which more than you can say about most everyone else on the team.....

Because he wants better effort defensively.

Jones is young and he wants to mold him in to a complete player.
Okay. Jones should be playing more but we got to run him around screens and picks a la Reggie Miller. What he is doing out there does not look natural. He doesn’t know where to go on rotations or where to slide to receive the ball. Very suprised cat his lack of basketball sense to get open. Plus he never looks balanced looks like he is sliding and off balanced , He is not in good position nor is his posture ready to shoot or in triple threat position . He got no coaching in Aau but why has Pike and his 3 guard assistants. , Not gotten him in the right spots to let it fly in rhythm . He is never ready to shoot or set up to shoot. His 3 point shooting is not automatic for a great shooter and someone quoted 3-12. First he should have 30 threes taken so far and he should have made 12-15 if he was a great shooter. The coaching staff has to immediately set up more sets for him to show us if he can shoot. Now. !!!!!!’

Okay. Jones should be playing more but we got to run him around screens and picks a la Reggie Miller. What he is doing out there does not look natural. He doesn’t know where to go on rotations or where to slide to receive the ball. Very suprised cat his lack of basketball sense to get open. Plus he never looks balanced looks like he is sliding and off balanced , He is not in good position nor is his posture ready to shoot or in triple threat position . He got no coaching in Aau but why has Pike and his 3 guard assistants. , Not gotten him in the right spots to let it fly in rhythm . He is never ready to shoot or set up to shoot. His 3 point shooting is not automatic for a great shooter and someone quoted 3-12. First he should have 30 threes taken so far and he should have made 12-15 if he was a great shooter. The coaching staff has to immediately set up more sets for him to show us if he can shoot. Now. !!!!!!’
Why do we think he is good?
Because we think he is good?
Because he has 4 stars?
Pike is not playing him for a reason.

11 pts today in 19 minutes, and a couple of them were a direct result of him being aware hitting the boards and getting easy putbacks

My fear is that he's a "scorer" like Mathis, not a consistent threat from range.

id like for Pike to keep him on the court enough to see what he could do in a rhythm....note that both Jones in this game and Hyatt started in the previous but played much less time in the 2nd half.

At 11 shots in this game and I think the last, its clear he wants to shoot alot, that is up to coach too to teach him to take the right shots, didnt have too much problem with his shots today, maybe less 3s, I think he can get inside and is our most athletic player

Why do we think he is good?
Because we think he is good?
Because he has 4 stars?
Pike is not playing him for a reason.
That is what I was trying to say but apparently not artfully. Jones seems lost definitely defensively.
but just as much offensively. If we are played by zone and we do the perimeter outside passing he doesn’t know to pass and cut through to the other side and get the pass on the swing. He is not alert to that so I question how good he is from an inate basketball sense. His defense and posture and positioning is horrific. Had to have the worst AAU coach but Pike and his assistants have had him since January and he still seems so unsure of himself. I expect him to turn it on and defensively first would be a clue he is heading in the right direction but he is not there yet. Pike and staff absolutely must set up pin downs and sets for him to come off screens firing . That will accelerate his learning curve and his confidence.

I guess you missed Paul’s shot from a foot in front of the basket that hit nothing and we got called for a shot clock violation near the end of the game!

id like for Pike to keep him on the court enough to see what he could do in a rhythm....note that both Jones in this game and Hyatt started in the previous but played much less time in the 2nd half.

At 11 shots in this game and I think the last, its clear he wants to shoot alot, that is up to coach too to teach him to take the right shots, didnt have too much problem with his shots today, maybe less 3s, I think he can get inside and is our most athletic player
Cliff is our most athletic player

Not sure about minutes played, but Jones had a better stat line in the second half. There isn't an expanded box score for this game that shows lineups and minutes on/off the court.

Right now Jones is shooting 3/12 (.250) from the arc, and 11/17 (.647) from 2P range. He had a couple putbacks on offensive boards this game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT