ADVERTISEMENT

Why is an #11 playing an #11?

BeantownKnight

All Conference
Feb 14, 2008
I don't know too much about how all of this works but I don't imagine that MSU (#11) playing UCLA (#11) is a normal thing, right? Why is this happening?

The last 4 teams into the field have to play an extra game. Whoever wins is slotted into the 11 seed, thus they technically all are 11s

Hasn't it been two 12-12 matchups some years? It might depend upon the relative strength of the lowest at-large teams compared to the conference champs of the better one-bid conferences.

the old play-in game was for a 12 seed.

the new "first 4" slots one 11 seed.

4 extra teams from 64. 4 extra games. last 4 autobids play in as 16 seeds and last 4 at large bid teams (typically 11 - 12) play in. after that you are down to 64 for the regular tournament.

I think the play ins are normally 12's but since the Ivy League did not play and had an autobid there were more at large teams therefore the last at large teams were 11's.

Oh. I thought the play-in games were (always) slotted as #16. They have those games where the teams play for the opportunity to get squashed by a #1.

There were always 2 16 vs 16 games to face 1's and 2 12 vs 12 teams to face the 12's that didn't have a play in game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT