ADVERTISEMENT

Why It's Wimsatt's Job

Be ready for the blowback..the Greek is now RU's "Wonderwaffe" for 24 lol

It's not my position. Did you listen to the video?
I heard part about better OL in 2024 and I already knew that was true. GW would be better this year because of OL and a real WR who can go long and fight for balls - no more dump-offs to tykes. GW is a long ball thrower and RU hasn't been able to exploit that. The Greek isn't that good but I know people here think he's Joe Burrow coming from tOSU to LSU

I heard part about better OL in 2024 and I already knew that was true. GW would be better this year because of OL and a real WR who can go long and fight for balls - no more dump-offs to tykes. GW is a long ball thrower and RU hasn't been able to exploit that. The Greek isn't that good but I know people here think he's Joe Burrow coming from tOSU to LSU
I'd put the peyote down as Gav isn't long, short, intermediate, he really isn't even a QB. the further he is away from under center the better off the team is going to be. That being said, this 'analysis' is lacking and pretty poor. Still trying to figure where the 'he showed he has a high ceiling' is coming from.
the QBs who told Greg and staff to pound salt were better as sophmores than gav was last year.

the second Greg indicates Gav isn't the starter, he's gone. Greg backed himself into a corner again

Who the F is Sam? Why should we care about his opinion?
agree

also the whole 'scrambling' thing. I've yet to see him scramble to make something happen so how the fk does anyone think he's a good scrambler? His runs are designed and north south. This whole video and analysis is just much of what we know and some curve ball views that come out of left field

thinks gav goes to 60% plus in comp %. lol

agree

also the whole 'scrambling' thing. I've yet to see him scramble to make something happen so how the fk does anyone think he's a good scrambler? His runs are designed and north south. This whole video and analysis is just much of what we know and some curve ball views that come out of left field

thinks gav goes to 60% plus in comp %. lol
I'm thinking it's @Knight Shift jealous of @rutgersal online videos he shares on here. Trying to impress with his own podcast🤣

I'd put the peyote down as Gav isn't long, short, intermediate, he really isn't even a QB. the further he is away from under center the better off the team is going to be. That being said, this 'analysis' is lacking and pretty poor. Still trying to figure where the 'he showed he has a high ceiling' is coming from.
the QBs who told Greg and staff to pound salt were better as sophmores than gav was last year.

the second Greg indicates Gav isn't the starter, he's gone. Greg backed himself into a corner again
The ceiling is there and pretty high, just not sure if he gets there.

We all know RU is not a QB developmental team, or a TE dev team, or a red zone team.
QBs can be like pitchers in that some have fastballs vs sinkers and curves.
Some QBs are better at short passes and some - like Eli or Kerry Collins - are better with long passes.
Eli long to Burress was a much better offense than Eli to a slanting OBJ.
Eli could dramatically miss a WR only 5 yds away on screen pass.

GW is the same way - he's long and lanky with mechanics that are different and can take longer - especially with an OL that cant block for long passes (and WRs that cant get downfield to jump-up and catch them). GW had offers from top passing teams and they saw something they expected to take time to develop.

A main skill was also the gallops. Get GW an opening with some space (caused by stretched defense) and he's gone like Underwood (big stride). His HS tape is full of that and no surprise he's RUs all-time leading rusher and TD scorer for a QB. He also led B1G QBs for yards and TDs.

I know GW misses some passes but he's not as awful as people think. Mike Teel sucked bad early-on (and on a better team). He and got better each season (with more INTs in each than GW), with WRs drastically better than RU's in 2023. If GW and WRs stay healthy I expect he'll probably have a pretty good season. The Greek left MN because he knew he was fading

Last edited:

No, Greg already knows Golden Gavin will be the starter just like he knew it last year at this time. If there was a hall of fame for spectacular handoffs, Golden Gavin would be in it already.

What do you mean Greg backed himself into a corner again?

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
That guy has a lot of knowledge of our team. Was a decent listen.
That's what I thought. He covers the Big Ten.
Interesting to hear his opinion of AK.
Yes, his opinion was AK worked with a better OL and better receivers than GW did last year. That may/may not explain why his completion % was slightly better than GW's.

Time will tell.
Yeah, I noticed that.
Too bad the usual asshats didn't notice anything except their lame insults.

Yes, his opinion was AK worked with a better OL and better receivers than GW did last year. That may/may not explain why his completion % was slightly better than GW's.

Time will tell.

because as usual, you know nothing and post stupid shit. No one with any knowledge of our team would take what he said seriously and newsflash, a deaf, blind and mute journalist could do a bit of research and sound just as knowledgeable. Hell, this board hashed out everything he mentioned. you tried and failed again.

post something of substance next time

Reactions: RUGenius

Time will tell.

I think most observers and the stats concluded that we had a significantly better OL, and MN had a bad run game.

Thanks for sharing! Excellent analysis, except for the scrambler talk.
Looking forward to seeing Wimsatt's significant improvement this upcoming season

Reactions: Knight Shift
Loving the positive view of QB play. Need it to take it to the next level. Want to see GW play instinctively and have fun.

I think most observers and the stats concluded that we had a significantly better OL, and MN had a bad run game.
I may or may not have misstated what he said. Regardless, it does not really matter. What matters is where each QB is at RIGHT NOW with THIS OL and THIS GROUP OF WRS (and hopefully TEs?).

Videos of predictions/prognostications are fine, but they are just that--predictions/prognostications, and different people have different opinions.

Curious as to what @jonS and @DJ Spanky think.

Reactions: Eagleton96
Is that because GW is more athletic, the OL, the scheme? My guess- the first one.
we out rushed Minn by 11yds per game. AK ran for 94 yds vs GW ran for 497 yds.
I’m having PTSD …these arguments all on the rinse and repeat cycle.

The defenses we played against were better than the D Minn played. And we faced more stacking the box. Making our run game that much more impressive. We ran on OSU

I’m having PTSD …these arguments all on the rinse and repeat cycle.

The defenses we played against were better than the D Minn played. And we faced more stacking the box. Making our run game that much more impressive. We ran on OSU
There are way too many variables in the equation to argue one way or another. The most difficult one for many in giving GW the vote of confidence is many of his passes (especially short ones) were off the mark. But AK's completion % is minimally higher than GW's. KC has had both QBs in his system. He should be able to make a fair evaluation. Interesting point the video made (and it is debatable)- seems AK may have been told to go elsewhere. His best landing spot was Rutgers where the OC previously coached him.

There are way too many variables in the equation to argue one way or another. The most difficult one for many in giving GW the vote of confidence is many of his passes (especially short ones) were off the mark. But AK's completion % is minimally higher than GW's. KC has had both QBs in his system. He should be able to make a fair evaluation. Interesting point the video made (and it is debatable)- seems AK may have been told to go elsewhere. His best landing spot was Rutgers where the OC previously coached him.
Good news is the wait will be over soon enough.

Good news is the wait will be over soon enough.
But the debate will rage on all season. Every single errant pass by any our QBs will result in a long threads on X sucks, put in Y or Z, and on and on. Caught some of the Ohio State spring game, and some fairly poor throws by both QBs. The Spring Game is never a determinant of who starts.

Reactions: RUPete
But the debate will rage on all season. Every single errant pass by any our QBs will result in a long threads on X sucks, put in Y or Z, and on and on. Caught some of the Ohio State spring game, and some fairly poor throws by both QBs. The Spring Game is never a determinant of who starts.
True

Golden Gavin mostly only attempting short passes invalidates completion % comparisons. That probably added 10% while viable QBs who were allowed to throw beyond the sticks on third and long have that built-in stats disadvantage compared to our anointed one.

Imagine having among the worst completion percentages for starting QBs probably in the history of CFB even though he had the easiest passes to complete.

Shelby is excited for 2024 !!

Golden Gavin mostly only attempting short passes invalidates completion % comparisons. That probably added 10% while viable QBs who were allowed to throw beyond the sticks on third and long have that built-in stats disadvantage compared to our anointed one.

Imagine having among the worst completion percentages for starting QBs probably in the history of CFB even though he had the easiest passes to complete.

Shelby is excited for 2024 !!
Stop watching just Cuse games and watch a few of ours before you continue. GW threw a bunch of mid- long passes- he just sort of sucked with those too. lol

On the flip side- maybe, just maybe- if we had WR's getting open down field...

Reactions: TRU2RU
Anointing GW the starter this early has me worried, as I've never been a big fan.

Stop watching just Cuse games and watch a few of ours before you continue. GW threw a bunch of mid- long passes- he just sort of sucked with those too. lol

On the flip side- maybe, just maybe- if we had WR's getting open down field...
If you were a talented receiver with other P5 options, would you come to a program with a QB who would miss the entire boardwalk arcade board, nevermind the individual holes he’d aim at ?

Not much in this video outside of reading stats and having watched games at a fan level. My view is Gavin can be ok with some weapons around him. With a clean pocket, he throws the deep out better than most we’ve had here. With that said he doesn’t “Brady” I.e. throw mediocre receivers open through superior processing and accuracy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT