ADVERTISEMENT

Why It's Wimsatt's Job

Not much in this video outside of reading stats and having watched games at a fan level. My view is Gavin can be ok with some weapons around him. With a clean pocket, he throws the deep out better than most we’ve had here. With that said he doesn’t “Brady” I.e. throw mediocre receivers open through superior processing and accuracy.
Has he ever once completed the ‘deep out’ you describe ? Am I forgetting one ? Most of them are out of bounds because they are the lowest risk passes. In case you didn’t know they are not serious pass attempts. They are only to keep the defenses honest.

Has he ever once completed the ‘deep out’ you describe ? Am I forgetting one ? Most of them are out of bounds because they are the lowest risk passes. In case you didn’t know they are not serious pass attempts. They are only to keep the defenses honest.
no
people have some wild memories
his best throw is the medium slant route and on that he looks great

But the debate will rage on all season. Every single errant pass by any our QBs will result in a long threads on X sucks, put in Y or Z, and on and on. Caught some of the Ohio State spring game, and some fairly poor throws by both QBs. The Spring Game is never a determinant of who starts.
I never felt you could take away much of anything from the Spring Game. Now, the scrimmage that they used to invite season ticket holders/donors to the week prior was much more enlightening.

Yesterday's post-scrimmage presser had Schiano mention 2 near INTs and how 4 QBs got ample snaps. So.. who was responsible for the near INTs, I wondered.

Also, specifically mentioned the new direct communication into the QB helmet that cuts out when there is 15 seconds left on the play clock. While I think GS's DC brain has him thinking about making changes on defense in those final 15 seconds, QBs can always "check with me" looking to the sidelines in those last 15 seconds.

BUT.. maybe this communication can help QBs see things better in terms of play calls, down and distance.. expected defenses, blitzes etc. None of that can change GW's poor footwork, IMHO, so unless he has improved that and that improves his accuracy and timing I don't see how we can have an offense centered around him.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Any RU soccer player could kick a ‘deep out’ soccer ball with more accuracy than Golden Gavin can throw to the same spot. The idea that he’s good at this is preposterous.

However, throwing out of bounds does allow us to punt, the best realistic outcome for our offense on third and 4 or longer, which is Schiano’s preference, relying on the d to score.

Any RU soccer player could kick a ‘deep out’ soccer ball with more accuracy than Golden Gavin can throw to the same spot. The idea that he’s good at this is preposterous.

However, throwing out of bounds does allow us to punt, the best realistic outcome for our offense on third and 4 or longer, which is Schiano’s preference, relying on the d to score.
Can you do us all a favor? Offer your insight and criticism without name calling and generally being such a disagreeable ahole? It gets old.

Curious as to what @jonS and @DJ Spanky think.

I completely agree: most people have different opinions.

I do like how people are making excuses for AK: Minnesota had a bad line, they had a bad run game, etc.

Can you do us all a favor? Offer your insight and criticism without name calling and generally being such a disagreeable ahole?

I seriously doubt he is capable of doing that.

I completely agree: most people have different opinions.

I do like how people are making excuses for AK: Minnesota had a bad line, they had a bad run game, etc.

I seriously doubt he is capable of doing that.
I shouldn’t like that but it’s my way of agreeing with you. It’s like fine, you don’t favor GW as QB, do you really need to derisively call him “Golden Gavin” just as others have referred to AK as “the Greek.?” It’s childish coming from what are supposedly grown-ass men.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Shelby, you are the king of l
Can you do us all a favor? Offer your insight and criticism without name calling and generally being such a disagreeable ahole? It gets old.
Shelby can't help himself. He is a miserable old man!!!

Yesterday's post-scrimmage presser had Schiano mention 2 near INTs and how 4 QBs got ample snaps. So.. who was responsible for the near INTs, I wondered.

Also, specifically mentioned the new direct communication into the QB helmet that cuts out when there is 15 seconds left on the play clock. While I think GS's DC brain has him thinking about making changes on defense in those final 15 seconds, QBs can always "check with me" looking to the sidelines in those last 15 seconds.

BUT.. maybe this communication can help QBs see things better in terms of play calls, down and distance.. expected defenses, blitzes etc. None of that can change GW's poor footwork, IMHO, so unless he has improved that and that improves his accuracy and timing I don't see how we can have an offense centered around him.
I thought he said 4 possible int opps that the D dropped the ball on?

Damn man. Aren’t you supposed to be a fan? Nothing wrong with constructive criticism or even trolling a little bit on this board. But man you seem to hate this program.

Damn man. Aren’t you supposed to be a fan? Nothing wrong with constructive criticism or even trolling a little bit on this board. But man you seem to hate this program.
Shelby is an alum and big rooter (not big booster). He thinks Schiano was the easy and lazy hire rather than the best hire, and the extension only extends mediocrity further into the future. Gleeson wasn’t the problem any more than Ciarrocca is now. The HC is the problem.

But even more than Schiano disdain, what ruffles old Shelby’s feathers most is absolutley ignorant commentary. ‘GW throws a good deep out’. ‘Rutgers is an impact TE from a natty’. This dumb-ass opinions need to be called out.

Shel isn’t always right, but his opinions are never ridiculous.

It’s fine to be optimistic but when this morphs to ridiculous homerism, Shelby gets aggravated.

Reactions: SHUSource
Shelby is an alum and big rooter (not big booster). He thinks Schiano was the easy and lazy hire rather than the best hire, and the extension only extends mediocrity further into the future. Gleeson wasn’t the problem any more than Ciarrocca is now. The HC is the problem.

But even more than Schiano disdain, what ruffles old Shelby’s feathers most is absolutley ignorant commentary. ‘GW throws a good deep out’. ‘Rutgers is an impact TE from a natty’.

It’s fine to be optimistic but when this morphs to ridiculous homerism, Shelby gets aggravated.
Referring to yourself in the third person again…🙄 I love how you think being an alum and “big rooter” gives you a pass to be an ahole. Like no one else here are those things. 😂

Referring to yourself in the third person again…🙄 I love how you think being an alum and “big rooter” gives you a pass to be an ahole. Like no one else here are those things. 😂
hold my beer

lol

Yea maybe irrelevant to this thread but only pointed out these things to try to dispel the idea that I’m actually a fan of other teams. No idea how that fallacy gained footing.

Last edited:
Athan is starting, not much else to say
I doubt it. I think the dude in the video is probably correct.

But I wouldn't bet anything either way. Neither QB has shown a great deal of consistency so far in their college careers. I could even see one of the others demonstrating greater consistency in practice and winding up jumping the other two, just due to their inconsistency (if they don't shed it in the offseason).

So we'll see.

Reactions: keeljoe1923
Yea maybe irrelevant to this thread but only pointed out these things to try to dispel the idea that I’m actually a fan of other teams. No idea how that fallacy gained footing.
If you really don't understand why people continue to disregard your denials and believe you to be a fan of another team, then that strongly suggests you'd benefit from some self-analysis. Because it's super obvious why people think that about you.

Having said that, I'm extremely skeptical that you have no idea. And while I'm not convinced you're a fan of another team/school, I'm not convinced you aren't either. It hasn't been proven to be a fallacy yet.

I doubt it. I think the dude in the video is probably correct.

Wimsatt is definitely gonna be starting because they wanna get more videos of this:

InKH3T.gif

Wimsatt is definitely gonna be starting because they wanna get more videos of this:

InKH3T.gif
Can't quite make out what's happening in that GIF, but guessing it's people's heads exploding, yes? In which case, if GW does win the job, I look forward to seeing that.

I never understand people rooting against our players. I'll be excited and happy for whomever wins the QB competition.

If you really don't understand why people continue to disregard your denials and believe you to be a fan of another team, then that strongly suggests you'd benefit from some self-analysis. Because it's super obvious why people think that about you.

Having said that, I'm extremely skeptical that you have no idea. And while I'm not convinced you're a fan of another team/school, I'm not convinced you aren't either. It hasn't been proven to be a fallacy yet.
If I were to repeatedly say you’re a BC fan, does that prove it ? Some repeatedly call me a Cuse fan, others call me a PSU fan. Stating anything which could be interpreted as such never happened. Closest has been saying I always root Big10 OOC and also that despite the disgusting Third Mile affair the university, students and current players have no involvement with that and that PSU provides a perfectly fine education on par with Rutgers…same as all other Big10 schools.

Last edited:
If I were to repeatedly say you’re a BC fan, does that prove it ? Some repeatedly call me a Cuse fan, others call me a PSU fan. Stating anything which could be interpreted as such never happened. Closest has been saying I always root Big10 OOC and also that despite the disgusting Third Mile affair the university, students and current players have no involvement with that and that PSU provides a perfectly fine education on par with Rutgers…same as all other Big10 schools.
You missed the point by several light years.

You missed the point by several light years.
which was ?

What also bothers me is the immature, crude rote mocking of PSU fans as if they had anything to do those kinds of crimes themselves.

Do the 5 year old level quips embarrass you as a Rutgers fan? They embarrass me.

Reactions: zebnatto
which was ?

What also bothers me is the immature, crude rote mocking of PSU fans as if they had anything to do those kinds of crimes themselves.

Do the 5 year old level quips embarrass you as a Rutgers fan? They embarrass me.
It is the PSU fans that back Joe Pa and act like it never happened...is that you?

Reactions: RedTeam1994
No, the infantile barbs are embarrassing in their own right. No excusing the low level vulgar vocab that bespeak their immaturity.
bespeak what you mean, young infantile maiden - what the flaming F are you trying to say?

No, the infantile barbs are embarrassing in their own right. No excusing the low level vulgar vocab that bespeak their immaturity.

If it is infantile to mock those that commit child rape then so be it

If it is infantile to mock those that harbored, enabled and covered a serial child rapist then so be it

If it is infantile to mock a fanbase that denied it ever happened (or was overblown, etc etc) then so be it

If it is infantile to mock a fanbase that continues to worship a former head coach who undoubtedly knew what happened (for decades!!) yet kept the child rapist close to the program, continued to give the rapist access to the program (which the rapist used as bait), then so be it

Reactions: Kbee3
Looks like Gavin will be looking for a new home after Athan earned the starter's roll in spring practice
>Athan Kaliakmanis will be the Rutgers football starting quarterback heading into Rutgers fall camp, a source can confirm to Rutgers Wire. And Gavin Wimsatt, the incumbent starter, is set to enter the transfer portal"<

Pete Thamel

@PeteThamel

Sources: Rutgers has named Minnesota transfer QB Athan Kaliakmanis the starting quarterback. Rutgers QB Gavin Wimsatt, who started 18 games the last two years, has initiated the process of entering the transfer portal and will have two years of eligibility remaining.

Yeah, it's almost like I do not want to here athletes or coaches talk about "great competition in the room" anymore. As soon as thing don't break right, the competition leaves the room for the portal.
I started cringing every time I hear one of these kids say "iron sharpens iron"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT