ADVERTISEMENT

Willard suspended

JDNB

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Just saw where he was suspended two games inc. exhibition game. Transfer violations being investigated. I’m shocked.

Reactions: Scangg
What does Transfer Violations mean?

I've heard it's related to the Taurean Thompson transfer... meaning Willard (or someone he's responsible for) had contact with Thompson outside of the rules.

This stuff probably happens all the time but it's hard to prove.

I've heard it's related to the Taurean Thompson transfer... meaning Willard (or someone he's responsible for) had contact with Thompson outside of the rules.

This stuff probably happens all the time but it's hard to prove.

Ok, contacting a student before they announced their intent to transfer.

I hope Rutgers did not contact Yeboah...lol

Can you be suspended for a secret scrimmage?

How would you know if the coach, in fact, wasn’t there

Boeheim has complained several times that SHU had done something wrong in recruiting Thompson. Maybe he was correct.

Routine “slap on the wrist” make-up call for the looking the other way with the 2014 recruiting class.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/23/isaiah-whiteheads-37k-puts-seton-hall-in-corruption-crosshairs/amp/

https://www.nj.com/setonhall/2013/09/isaiah_whitehead_seton_hall_recruiting.html
“Seton Hall pitched its family atmosphere, its improving facilities and the Big East Conference’s new national television deal. It was making an impact, but it didn’t feel like enough. Willard then pulled out an ace.

He offered one of the vacancies on his staff to Whitehead’s high school coach, Dwayne "Tiny" Morton, to show just how serious he was. According to two people familiar with the contents of that meeting who asked to remain anonymous because they don’t speak on the interests of Whitehead, Morton or Seton Hall — that was a major selling point. Whitehead’s mother, Ericka Rambert, had heard all she needed to.”

Yes, this is only a slap on the wrist but Whitehead getting $37,000 and Morton getting $9,500 has never been addressed by the NCAA. It certainly seems as if SHU has dodged a few earlier instances that should be looked at.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Routine “slap on the wrist” make-up call for the looking the other way with the 2014 recruiting class.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/23/isaiah-whiteheads-37k-puts-seton-hall-in-corruption-crosshairs/amp/

https://www.nj.com/setonhall/2013/09/isaiah_whitehead_seton_hall_recruiting.html
“Seton Hall pitched its family atmosphere, its improving facilities and the Big East Conference’s new national television deal. It was making an impact, but it didn’t feel like enough. Willard then pulled out an ace.

He offered one of the vacancies on his staff to Whitehead’s high school coach, Dwayne "Tiny" Morton, to show just how serious he was. According to two people familiar with the contents of that meeting who asked to remain anonymous because they don’t speak on the interests of Whitehead, Morton or Seton Hall — that was a major selling point. Whitehead’s mother, Ericka Rambert, had heard all she needed to.”
Hiring Tiny? That was not against NCAA rules then or now.

Or were you referring to something else about their 2014 class?

Self imposed penalty including a scrimmage....what a joke! Its still “cheating”!!
NCAA needs to impose tougher penalties but they won’t do that because they are afraid that it could impact the game... being careful not to expose too much too soon.

So......
If I illegally communicate with a potential transfer....

70% nothing happens
30% I sit out 2 games of a scrimmage

Justification...no harm done, everybody does it, no one gets paid.

In the pre pay college world this is the problem. The next phase all bets are off

Willard toes the line of whats legal and not every year. But, listen, you gotta if youre him. Seton Hall is a super hard sell to kids, it’s a crappy school, crappy campus, no on court arena, poor facilities. Only thing they have going for them is a cupcake conference that makes an easier path to the tourney

Reactions: whofrewdatmataRU13
Willard toes the line of whats legal and not every year. But, listen, you gotta if youre him. Seton Hall is a super hard sell to kids, it’s a crappy school, crappy campus, no on court arena, poor facilities. Only thing they have going for them is a cupcake conference that makes an easier path to the tourney
[roll][roll][roll]

My first thought about this is that if you're going to be nailed for tampering it should be for a better transfer. Second thought is that Kyk's hatred for Seton Hall has entered the irrational zone now. I don't like Seton Hall either, but cupcake conference, crappy school? C'mon this is getting silly now.

Last edited:
[roll][roll][roll]
I mean, realistically there isn't one false statement by me there. Kids choose to go to county over SHU so that they can save money and then transfer after 2 years to RU.

My first thought about this is that you're going to be nailed for tampering it should be for a better transfer. Second thought is that Kyk's hatred for Seton Hall has entered the irrational zone now. I don't like Seton Hall either, but cupcake conference, crappy school? C'mon this is getting silly now.
SHU is not a good school. It's the school your parents make you apply to in case you literally don't get into a single college, well SHU and monmouth. The conference is a cupcake, just look at what has happened to the conference as a whole outside of Nova once march hits. They get whacked once they face real teams.

SHU is not a good school. It's the school your parents make you apply to in case you literally don't get into a single college, well SHU and monmouth. The conference is a cupcake, just look at what has happened to the conference as a whole outside of Nova once march hits. They get whacked once they face real teams.

Did you take your Meds today?

Why start a pointless pissing contest? SHU has 4 straight NCAA appearances and a Top 25 ranking this year. Obviously, quality recruits are attending SHU, including a pre-season All American in Powell.

Instead of denigrating your in-state rival for inane reasons, just enjoy the rise in respectability under Pyke.

Again outside of Nova this is the Big East in the past 4 years.

- SHU 4 tournament appearances, 1-4
- St Johns 1 tournament appearances 0-1
- Creighton 2 tournament appearances 0-2
- Butler 3 tournamanent appearances 4-3 (one trip to sweet 16)
- Providence 3 tournament appearances 1-2
- DePaul 0 tournament appearances
- Marquette 2 tournament appearances 0-2
- Xaiver 3 tournament appearances 5-3 (one trip to elite 8 as an 11 seed impressive, - other two bounced in 2nd round once as a 1 seed and once as a 2 seed, shows how incredibly overrated this conference is, gets too much credit and teams get overseeded and then whacked)
- Georgetown 0 tournament appearances
- Nova, they're the only team that has been legitimate in this conference, you won't hear me trying to argue about them.

So looking at the big east, outside of Nova, only 2 teams have even touched the sweet 16 in the past 4 years, only 1 has reached the elite 8. As I've said, this conference stinks.

And the Big Ten has how many National Championships in the last 15 years ?
big fat donut. Big Ten teams have lost in 6 finals in the past 15 years. Big ten also has 12 final 4 appearances in that time span while the current little east teams have a combined 6, 3 from nova, 2 from butler and 1 from georgetown.

And the Big Ten has how many National Championships in the last 15 years ?
also for clarity are you really subtly trying to argue that the big east even compares with the big ten lol. Apples and hand grenades

I am a firm believer that any school is what you make of it. I went to WVU for my first two years before Rutgers and it was known as a party school (#7 ranked by Playboy when I was there). Sure, if you wanted to screw around there, you could. There were guys on my floor who never went to class and the shrink wrap was still on their books at the end of the semester. But I still had some of my best classes and professors there before I transferred.

I am a firm believer that any school is what you make of it. I went to WVU for my first two years before Rutgers and it was known as a party school (#7 ranked by Playboy when I was there). Sure, if you wanted to screw around there, you could. There were guys on my floor who never went to class and the shrink wrap was still on their books at the end of the semester. But I still had some of my best classes and professors there before I transferred.
Yeah I agree with you, you get what you put in. With that said, I guess I’ll rephrase is, SHU doesnt exactly attract the best and brightest

Again outside of Nova this is the Big East in the past 4 years.

- SHU 4 tournament appearances, 1-4
- St Johns 1 tournament appearances 0-1
- Creighton 2 tournament appearances 0-2
- Butler 3 tournamanent appearances 4-3 (one trip to sweet 16)
- Providence 3 tournament appearances 1-2
- DePaul 0 tournament appearances
- Marquette 2 tournament appearances 0-2
- Xaiver 3 tournament appearances 5-3 (one trip to elite 8 as an 11 seed impressive, - other two bounced in 2nd round once as a 1 seed and once as a 2 seed, shows how incredibly overrated this conference is, gets too much credit and teams get overseeded and then whacked)
- Georgetown 0 tournament appearances
- Nova, they're the only team that has been legitimate in this conference, you won't hear me trying to argue about them.

So looking at the big east, outside of Nova, only 2 teams have even touched the sweet 16 in the past 4 years, only 1 has reached the elite 8. As I've said, this conference stinks.

And yet SHU beat Maryland in Maryland and Kentucky on a neutral court last year.

Reactions: Russ Wood
And yet SHU beat Maryland in Maryland and Kentucky on a neutral court last year.
congrats you beat one of the youngest teams in the country in december. Ron Harper could barely shoot in december and caleb mcconnell was playing like 2 minutes a game for us. Takes guys 2-3 months to get acclimated and maryland is no different.

My first thought about this is that if you're going to be nailed for tampering it should be for a better transfer. Second thought is that Kyk's hatred for Seton Hall has entered the irrational zone now. I don't like Seton Hall either, but cupcake conference, crappy school? C'mon this is getting silly now.

While Seton Hall may not be a "crappy school", it's also not exactly a great school either - but the tuition is so high that it definitely has crappy value for your money. This doesn't really matter to a scholarship kid, though.

And while it's not a "cupcake conference", the Big East has shown itself to be mostly Nova and the Novettes. They're mostly not bad teams, but there's a lot of parity/mediocrity after Nova.

Agreed. I attended both SHU (undergrad) and RU (grad school). The quality of education at both schools was equivalent if you were a serious student. I believe that SHU now offers good students partial academic scholarships to bring the tuition consistent with a state school tuition. My daughter had a part-time job as an adjunct language teacher at SHU. She had a fair number of physics majors in her class.

Reactions: hoquat63 and RUPete
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT