ADVERTISEMENT

Wimsatt qbr

WB's point was ridiculous given the statistically tiny sample size, which is why the QBR rating table has the following disclaimer: "To qualify, a player must play a minimum of 20 action plays per team game.". Anyone who can't see that Wimsatt has improved from terrible last year to at least decent this year simply isn't watching very closely.

Sure QBR has some flaws, but it does take into account rushing performance and sack avoidance, which Gavin has been quite good at (he's #1 in the NCAA at the "sack" rating element), so it's a more complete stat than passer rating (his "pass" element rating is #62, which sounds about right).

Having said all that, I agree with some others that I would've liked to see Gavin being turned loose a bit more yesterday, as the game was never going to be in question and perhaps he could've gotten more valuable experience with more throws.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr/_/sort/qbr/dir/desc
My seats were also in 224 since the stadium was re opened …just several rows behind you. Closer than we ever knew… probably shared a conversation . In my view this has been exactly how KC wanted to move him along. Now we see the potential in the receivers group. Keys now are to stay as healthy as possible .Keep improving at the O line positions and keep focusing on the next game at Wisconsin.

We shall see once the season is over and portal is open.
Highly unlikely we bring in a portal guy unless we lose 1-2 ourselves.We are developing some depth at QB and as you see many of these transfers at QB don’t work out all as planned.

Mike McMahon was athletically way ahead of most.Arm,speed and ability as a true “. Gunslinger”.
I googled and see he played for the Lions so yeah lol NFL QB.... hopefully wimsatt can at least come close to that type of success...time will tell..

We don’t want Gavin to be a “Gunslinger”. Just a above average B1G QB

We don’t want Gavin to be a “Gunslinger”. Just a above average B1G QB
Wisconsin is the perfect team to play against for a dual threat QB. Pencil in a hundred yards rushing from RB’s (if you’re lucky) and the QB has to provide the rest. Wisconsin also seems like the perfect team against which to try some trickeration.

Gavin can be better than Nova all things considered. Compare the years, player quality in Nova’s time versus this current rebuild. Nova was not in the midst of a total rebuild.You do realize the program he entered still was pretty set with a top recruiting class. People seem to remember only what they think is true here. Nova struggled and that was well documented. Nova had hutzpah and toughness. Gavin has the same… he is athletically better than Gary and I loved Nova when he was here.

Cry to the mods.
Weird reply as that's the last thing I'd do. I just don't get why you, as one who often complains about posts that derail threads or insult people (and mostly rightly so), wouldn't follow your own advice here, especially on a thread focused on actual RU football for the most part. Whatever...time to go enjoy a beautiful day.

We just need an average B1G QB to be successful. Haven't had a legit D1 QB since Nova.
I would argue that Gavin has improved to average, despite his QBR being virtually tied with two other QBs for 2nd in the B1G, so far this year, i.e., I'm not ready to say he's a top 4-5 B1G QB until he plays well against a B1G team or two not named NW.

I would argue that Gavin has improved to average, despite his QBR being virtually tied with two other QBs for 2nd in the B1G, so far this year, i.e., I'm not ready to say he's a top 4-5 B1G QB until he plays well against a B1G team or two not named NW.
I would not say he is average yet, due to his passing performance. Overall, it's okay, but was rather poor against our two best opponents to date (UM and VT). Obviously, he's super young and can continue to improve, but we need to see it happen. Regardless, he is our best QB since Nova and gives up some hope for upcoming seasons.

What are these intangibles Wimsatt excels at ? Not fumbling ? He has not excelled at anything. He’s been a solid game manager so far. It’s not a criticism but he will have to do more than that to get to 6 wins.
Not taking sacks with scrambling ability or throwing ball away. Limits negative plays. Not forcing things when things aren't there which limits turnovers. Ball security (like you state no fumbles). Getting the team in and out of plays on time. Have you noticed any delay of games or many timeouts due to clock running down? Making plays with his feet. These are intangibles that help you win games and won't show up in the passing yds. stats.

I'm not naive to his accuracy woes and that's troubling. But what I witnessed was eye opening this week. You had a group of WR and TE's that had trouble getting open against Wagner talent. You want to put it all on the QB, truth is, he's doesn't have the weapons necessary for your 250-300yd. days. Their catch radius is small and their speed is even slower. Gavin's getting plenty of time or making time and these guys can't get separation. I'd start looking at the skill guys who are severely lacking skills.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Someone said it above, but I couldn’t re-find the post: “GW has gone from terrible to decent.” Agree, but wouldn’t use a stronger word than “decent.”

Reactions: Shelby65
Did you watch the Iowa Michigan state game? You would take their qbs over Gavin? Indianas? This is an absurd statement.
We hear from the same people complaining that Wimsatt couldn't start for another B1G team, yet the sh*t I saw last night from Iowa's two QB and MSU QB clearly shows Wimsatt could start over them. Sometimes, you can't overcome someone's perception because it's baked in. These individuals fail to realize that Wimsatt isn't asked to throw 30+ times a game. He is asked to get the team into a position to play to their strength: running the ball. When asked to throw, Wimsatt has done well. It's not all about TD and passing yards. You have to include how well the offense is running, scoring, no T.O., etc.

Real test will be against the middling Big Ten competition to see how effective he is. Wisconsin will be a real test.

All things considered as of right now Gavin is a below average passer and above average game manager. A game manager who can complete routine plays and runs like a deer is better than we've had in years.

Last edited:
Not taking sacks with scrambling ability or throwing ball away. Limits negative plays. Not forcing things when things aren't there which limits turnovers. Ball security (like you state no fumbles). Getting the team in and out of plays on time. Have you noticed any delay of games or many timeouts due to clock running down? Making plays with his feet. These are intangibles that help you win games and won't show up in the passing yds. stats.

I'm not naive to his accuracy woes and that's troubling. But what I witnessed was eye opening this week. You had a group of WR and TE's that had trouble getting open against Wagner talent. You want to put it all on the QB, truth is, he's doesn't have the weapons necessary for your 250-300yd. days. Their catch radius is small and their speed is even slower. Gavin's getting plenty of time or making time and these guys can't get separation. I'd start looking at the skill guys who are severely lacking skills.
Say it again.

We hear from the same people complaining that Wimsatt couldn't start for another B1G team, yet the sh*t I saw last night from Iowa's two QB and MSU QB clearly shows Wimsatt could start over them. Sometimes, you can't overcome someone's perception because it's baked in. These individuals fail to realize that Wimsatt isn't asked to throw 30+ times a game. He is asked to get the team into a position to play to their strength: running the ball. When asked to throw, Wimsatt has done well. It's not all about TD and passing yards. You have to include how well the offense is running, scoring, no T.O., etc.
Disagree that he's done well when asked to throw. Before yesterday game his completion percentage was 116th out of 123 quarterbacks.
What he has been amazing about is only getting picked off once, this despite being off the mark almost 1/2 the time. The team is winning with a running offense and it's working. Keep at it. Let's get to 6 wins and then let him throw it more in game situations. All the other parts of his game management are improved over last year.

Disagree that he's done well when asked to throw. Before yesterday game his completion percentage was 116th out of 123 quarterbacks.
What he has been amazing about is only getting picked off once, this despite being off the mark almost 1/2 the time. The team is winning with a running offense and it's working. Keep at it. Let's get to 6 wins and then let him throw it more in game situations. All the other parts of his game management are improved over last year.
QBR takes all that into account though. His passer rating right now is equivalent to Novas his Junior year. Except Wimsatt can run.

Read Koleszar's response.
Stats don't always tell the entire story.

He had a cannon for an arm, was accurate and ran a 4.55 st the NFL combine. McMahon running an RPO with this team would be amazing. Under today's portal rule he'd have been gone after his soph year given the D1-AA quality team he was playing on.
This .
Mike McMahon running this team gets us at least 9 wins.
Gavin is a work in progress… as continues to improve his RPO execution our O will continue to marginally improve
Really needs to work on his passing accuracy. Not sure how this will turnout in the end but we will be supporting him completely.

QBR takes all that into account though. His passer rating right now is equivalent to Novas his Junior year. Except Wimsatt can run.
The qbr isn't a "passer rating". It's an all in quarterback rating. Wimsatt had 7 carries and averaged 2.1 yards yesterday. I agree he has improved a lot over last year carrying the ball but still passes up obvious run situations for himself.

Read Koleszar's response.
Stats don't always tell the entire story.
I think any smart QB throws the ball away often. But please don't tell me he is throwing the ball away 48% of the time, I watch the games. I've already said he has improved a lot since last year. However, accuracy is not in the improvement category.

You bring up Britt. Imagine Gavin with any one ( or heaven forbid two) of Britt, Brown, LC, Underwood, Sanu, LJ Smith, Marco, Kroft , heck even AC or Sean Ryan.
It is a night and day difference. His primary receiver this year is a walk on.
The 2 best WRs have not played a snap this year.
One is stuck in the NCAA BS transfer portal and Chris Long remains injured.

I think any smart QB throws the ball away often. But please don't tell me he is throwing the ball away 48% of the time, I watch the games. I've already said he has improved a lot since last year. However, accuracy is not in the improvement category.
Why are you so aggressive in making your point? 😉
Fact: Wimsatt has 12 drops (easy pitch & catch throws) that would change the narrative. That would put Wimsatt above the 60% completion rate. Did it ever cross your mind, like Koleszar said, it could be the receivers making things difficult?

Why are you so aggressive in making your point? 😉
Fact: Wimsatt has 12 drops (easy pitch & catch throws) that would change the narrative. That would put Wimsatt above the 60% completion rate. Did it ever cross your mind, like Koleszar said, it could be the receivers making things difficult?
Aggressive??? Stating facts. So every other QB has receivers that never drop the ball? Does it ever cross your mind that every quarterback throws it away often and has drops??

Aggressive??? Stating facts. So every other QB has receivers that never drop the ball? Does it ever cross your mind that every quarterback throws it away often and has drops??
Rutgers has a higher rate of drops compared to the other FBS teams. Other than Dremel, what other receiver is someone you can count on?

btw, you are not stating facts. It's more of an opinion.

Rutgers has a higher rate of drops compared to the other FBS teams. Other than Dremel, what other receiver is someone you can count on?

btw, you are not stating facts. It's more of an opinion.
No, the fact is adding those 6 gets him to 59.4% and without adding back drops to any another QB he still would be just 82nd. That is a fact.

The qbr isn't a "passer rating". It's an all in quarterback rating. Wimsatt had 7 carries and averaged 2.1 yards yesterday. I agree he has improved a lot over last year carrying the ball but still passes up obvious run situations for himself.
Uh yes I know QBR takes everything into account including passing. So according to QBR he's well above average at playing the quarterback position.

Last edited:
Real test will be against the middling Big Ten competition to see how effective he is. Wisconsin will be a real test.

All things considered as of right now Gavin is a below average passer and above average game manager. A game manager who can complete routine plays and runs like a deer is better than we've had in years.

Every team but Michigan has a losing record (and Wagner would post solid loses to some D3 teams).
Throw out the kick return TD, and RU's offense lost to Michigan 31-0 (and RU usually play Michigan much.. better than OSU).

My boredom isn't due to Winsapp but with RU's constant glacial pace of player dev the last 10-12 years. There are always a few naturals but overall mediocrity is a weird kind of goal in RU ball. Each year there are a handful of mediocre wins, and by November RU is B1G roadkill for the boss teams. I wouldn't bet this year will be different just yet.

If Schiano took over Colorado he would have the same losing players that were portaled out, and the team would have no wins and still empty seats. This is how we roll with Father Greg's Scarlet Boys Town. I remember when RU beat Louisville and Greg said "it was ahead of schedule" - six years into first stint.

I like that Greg is a good guy who "wants to win the right way" but somewhere along the way the winning instinct softens up to become "being safe" first and I think its an excuse for anticipated losing. If Greg ran NASA in the 60s they would have been working out the kinks until 1986. Monken at ARMY played top ten teams better than RU with a bunch of 0-2 stars.

There's a famous psychologist who says being "good" isn't good enough if you lose "the monster" inside. The monster that good people control but dont lose completely. Heroes have to be able to rise-up to the moment and sometimes to be tougher than the treats. I haven't seen that with RU teams since aughties

I've never said Wimsatt couldn't start somehwere else. He might being even be doing better. RU's football monster isn't in the house (the forums yes lol)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT