ADVERTISEMENT

With contract extension Saban will become first college coach to earn $10 million per

BROTHERSKINNY

Heisman Winner
Oct 21, 2010
Alabama football coach Nick Saban’s contract extension through the 2028 season is official after the compensation committee of the University of Alabama system board of trustees approved the deal in a virtual meeting Monday.

The university announced it had agreed on the extension with Saban in early June, a deal that would add three years to his contract, keeping him in Tuscaloosa through at least February 2029.

His base salary will remain $275,000. His talent fee for 2020-21 was $8.425 million and will continue to grow at a rate of $400,000 annually. It will reach $11.225 million in the final year of the extension. With his base salary and talent fee, he is set to make $11.5 million in 2028-29.

Saban is set to become the first college coach to reach $10 million in annual recurring compensation during this contract in 2023-24. He will also receive an $800,000 completion benefit each year through 2025 upon finishing each season.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ntract-extension-alabama-football/5459039001/

I doubt he’ sees the end of this one he’d be 76 yrs. old.

I think there is a certain university in New Jersey that has a basketball coach who will blow right by that age lol.

Even though it doesn't involve Rutgers, I'll bet news like this makes the members of Rutgers1000 heads explode.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Base Salary at $275K
Who pays the bulk of this? Donors I suppose.
Is it primarily side contracts, or does it all flow through the university?

Saban is the Pinnacle of College coaches! He has his system which Trumps almost all others including Urban. Don't know if you saw the 60 minutes interview with him but this guy is like a politician. everything is done for him and he only has two things to do get donors and coach. For comparison, Schiano is our Saban. When Greg has us compteting at the highest levels of college football I hope the fanbase is ready to step up and "show the money" to dear old RU! I have no doubt that Greg is going to take us there and we better be ready with our checkbooks to pay up for services rendered!

Reactions: miket007
I have less qualms about somebody like Saban making 10M or whatever than some fresh coach who hasn't done anything making 4-5M or making big money on short term results. Saban has a LONG SUSTAINED HIGH LEVEL track record any money he gets is deserved IMO.

Really, I think contracts like Saban's are less the problem than the bloated contracts that have to be continually eaten for guys who don't have 1/10th the track record.

Reactions: miket007
I think it’s the fear (unfounded) that Rutgers will become like this.

haha we can only wish.

If Rutgers ever sustained that level of success, donations, ticket sales, etc. It would forever change the national perception of the school, the state, and every local business in a 10 mile radius.

The windfall of growth for the school and local area would smack the Rutgers1000 so hard, they'll be stuck in their dark little offices wondering what happened to the "good old days"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT