ADVERTISEMENT

Women Crush Penn State 62-44

Congrats ladies! Best I've seen RU play in quite a while. I hope this is the start of a big turn around!

Just saw the score on the Athletic site. Thought the game was at 2 pm. Keep it going ladies. Go RU!
Penn State was 10-3 coming in with a win over then #13 Tennessee. This was a nice win. The improvement showed today. Need to keep it going.

By the way - we hit 7 3 pointers today.

Gotta tell ya, i've been watching them play better each game. If there was bench just to give the starters a breather, there'd be a couple more Ws on the record. CVS is definitely a coach. Watching those youngster getting better game to game is awesome.

I don't know that the recruiting is lacking, as the players have talent and she's bringing it out. They may not all be 5*s, but by the time they leave any are WNBA bound.

I have hope for some upsets by the end of the year and lots of confidence that next year, with the transfers having been playing with the team all year, and Scaife back, the experience/tuteledge this young team is getting, we'll be making some pretty good waves.

Team played very well today. Broke the zone for the first time in years with bigs at the top of the key. Some clutch passing and 3 pointers was a very relaxing game and fun to have attended

Reactions: ScarletteK80
I did not post an guess on the crowd, since I am sure that someone who was not there would try to correct me & say there were far less people there then my guess.

How was the crowd ?
Excellent crowd. Lower bowl was about 75-80% full. There was a 2016 promotion in which tickets cost $20.16. I'd say best crowd of the year thus far.
Edited to say: SK.com reported 2011. I think that seem a little low but I'll go with that number.

Reactions: gigantor1024
Very entertaining win today. The ladies were working hard and the results showed with improved Field Goal and 3-point percentages. BTW, keep an eye on the bench every time the team makes a great passing play or steal -- Tyler Scaife ignites like a Roman Candle -> she is so much fun to watch, even on the bench.

Nice surprise here. Thank you for taking them down today ladies! lets build off the big win and leap into 2017! .

Did the ladies get a key player (or players) back for this game? Very happy with the win, but this is a really big surprise.
No. It was the same players. They just played a complete game - best performance I've seen this season. Penn State had a definite height advantage, which showed up in the rebounding, but the RU players played good D and shot well today.

Did the ladies get a key player (or players) back for this game? Very happy with the win, but this is a really big surprise.
No change in players for this game. Some improvement in last several games (with a clunker 2nd half against Temple). CVS coached teams often play better after the Christmas break. Very rigorous practices during that timeframe.

Score was 61-45 I believe. They killed us on the boards but we got a lot of steals and turnovers. We shot well with great defense. They shot in the 20's percentage wise most of the game. Great effort by ladies today.

Reactions: dmd78
No. It was the same players. They just played a complete game - best performance I've seen this season. Penn State had a definite height advantage, which showed up in the rebounding, but the RU players played good D and shot well today.
Excellent recap. The Women played a complete game. They did a great job to withstand PSU run and then totally dominated. The defensive pressure reminded me of days of old.

And surprisingly 10 blocked shots - 4 each for Keeling and Harris.
Oddly enough, though, I was looking at a stat comparison in the (pre) game notes for the Michigan game and commented to my wife that RU was soundly the worse in every category except blocks. So perhaps we have been better than we realize at this? Or, of course, Michigan could be bad at it and today's game an anomaly. But one has to wonder.

Oddly enough, though, I was looking at a stat comparison in the (pre) game notes for the Michigan game and commented to my wife that RU was soundly the worse in every category except blocks. So perhaps we have been better than we realize at this? Or, of course, Michigan could be bad at it and today's game an anomaly. But one has to wonder.
I don't really know the answer to this, but if we have been good at blocks compared to the other teams we have played, I would find it interesting as we are usually the smaller team at most positions. The last few years, we had Rachel who was a great shot blocker, but she was 6'4".

Before this game, we were averaging 3.5 blocks per game versus 2.9 for the opposition. Obviously, we did better today. We did practically everything better today. We typically shoot .346 from the field, but shot over 100 points higher today. Normally, .250 from three, but much better today. Also, Kandiss Barber hadn't taken a three all year, but made 2 today. One key stat that didn't affect us today was the normal significant difference in free throws. Before today, in 14 games, our opponents had taken 140 more free throws than we had. We were pretty even today.

Kandiss is a solid, solid player. Hope this game gives her some needed confidence.

Yes, she had a great game, in spite of the fact that one of the refs seemed to have it out for her. What was that about?!?
Brian Enterline officiated this game and has a long history of forgetting to make calls for Rutgers. I actually texted my grandson that the game was over when I saw Brian walk onto the court. I mentioned it to a few friends who all noticed the imbalance in his calls.

Brian Enterline officiated this game and has a long history of forgetting to make calls for Rutgers. I actually texted my grandson that the game was over when I saw Brian walk onto the court. I mentioned it to a few friends who all noticed the imbalance in his calls.
There was a PSU fan sitting behind me and even he said to me that he couldn't believe the calls Brian was missing. I always shudder when I see him at the game...so many bad memories

IsBrianth e oldgentleman w a mop of white/blonde hair?

IsBrianth e oldgentleman w a mop of white/blonde hair?
No, Brian is heavy-set and dark, with black hair. A Mediterranean or Pacific islander look, I don't have any idea of his heritage, but that at least describes him. One of the top ref's in women's basketball, but my wife and I both think he tends to call things by "anticipation" rather than waiting for an actual foul. So if you come close to fouling and don't actually, you are probably called anyway.

Incidentally, his brother Bob and son Bryan are also refs, as is his wife, Cameron Inoyue, one of the few refs to do all the P5 conferences. We had her in Arizona last Tuesday.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
No, Brian is heavy-set and dark, with black hair. A Mediterranean or Pacific islander look, I don't have any idea of his heritage, but that at least describes him. One of the top ref's in women's basketball, but my wife and I both think he tends to call things by "anticipation" rather than waiting for an actual foul. So if you come close to fouling and don't actually, you are probably called anyway.

Incidentally, his brother Bob and son Bryan are also refs, as is his wife, Cameron Inoyue, one of the few refs to do all the P5 conferences. We had her in Arizona last Tuesday.
TY

Yes, she had a great game, in spite of the fact that one of the refs seemed to have it out for her. What was that about?!?

It was incredibly uncomfortable the way he was staring Kandiss down. From where we were, it didn't look like she did anything except roll her eyes and place the ball on the ground. It seemed like a clear case of bullying and intimidation. It was so bad that my husband, a very mild mannered gentleman, wants to know how this could be reported and investigated. Refs make bad calls all the time and we understand that that is part of the game; however, this crossed the line and got personal.

Last edited:

It was incredibly uncomfortable the way he was staring Kandiss down. From where we were, it didn't look like she did anything except roll her eyes and place the ball on the ground. It seemed like a clear case of bullying and intimidation. It was so bad that my husband, a very mild mannered gentleman, wants to know how this could be reported and investigated. Refs make bad calls all the time and we understand that that is part of the game; however, this crossed the line and got personal.
My wife mentioned the same incident. I have never found him to be anything but arrogant. And I don't consider him a top official.

Last edited:
After Kandiss put the ball down, he came right up to her and said 'Do you have a problem?'. He continued to stand over her, finally backed away and stared her down. Clearly harassed her.

If this type of heavy handed bullying did happen then the conference should take a look at it whether there is a history of it or not.

If this type of heavy handed bullying did happen then the conference should take a look at it whether there is a history of it or not.
Totally agree. I wish I saw the game. But doesn't seem like the incident has much room for interpretation. guy should never be allowed to ref again or at a minimum, a one year suspension. If anything is done, please let me know if I can help in any way. Maybe a petition to Hobbs, Barchi and head of NCAA officiating to begin an investigation on this a past behavior.

After Kandiss put the ball down, he came right up to her and said 'Do you have a problem?'. He continued to stand over her, finally backed away and stared her down. Clearly harassed her.
Does anyone recall when in the game this happened? I still have it on my DVR and would like to take a look.

Does anyone recall when in the game this happened? I still have it on my DVR and would like to take a look.
While I will be interested in your take if you see it, I have to say that it appears this was his response to slamming the ball down on the court from what folks say. Would folks have preferred a tech?

Also, it is always easier to complain when it happens to you. We were at Syracuse one time when one of the Syracuse players was a bit chippy with fouls. Dennis DeMayo more or less cornered her against the scorer's table to tell her to cut it out.

While Bryan isn't my favorite ref, I will add that he was doing a game at the RAC where Vivian "wandered", and instead of giving her a technical, he walked her back to the bench. Barbara Jacobs, the BE supervisor of officials was at the game and my wife spoke to her on the way to our cars. She was most unhappy with him, said it was unquestionably a "T" on Vivian.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT