ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Basketball in Perspective

oldtimer67

All Conference
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2006
First of all, let me say that I put this in a new thread because every other thread devolves quickly into a "fire CVS now" debate. I am sure this one will, too, but with some perspective added, I hope.

Here are the combined results for Rutgers sports for the last 5 years showing winning percent, listed from best to worst:

Men's Sports
Wrestling - .726
Baseball - .486
Football - .460
LaCrosse - .416
Soccer - .393
Basketball - .366

Women's Sports
Soccer - .722
Basketball - .561
Softball - .521
Field Hockey - .467
LaCrosse - .402
Volleyball - .238

Combined Sports
Wrestling - .726
Women's Soccer - .722
Women's Basketball - .561
Softball - .521
Baseball - .486
Field Hockey - .467
Football - .460
Men's Lacrosse - .416
Women's Lacrosse - .402
Men's Soccer - .393
Men's Basketball - .366
Volleyball - .238

Again, these numbers are just for perspective. A lot of incorrect conclusions can be made if they are taken too strictly. In general, though, they do show the RU sports that are consistently successful and those that are less so.

Before some of you go ballistic, here are some notes. Sports that do not have a team win-loss record like track, etc. are not included. I could not find historical results for women's tennis. For other sports like wrestling, team win-loss records may only be part of the story.

Some of the conclusions I draw from these stats are:
1) Overall Rutgers sports are really pathetic. Only one men's sport and 3 women's sports out of twelve listed here have a winning record over the last 5 years.
2) Women's basketball has been the third best performing Rutgers sport in this period.
3) It is clear from this list that places to start improving the performance of Rutgers teams are abundant and they don't start with women's basketball.
4) By eliminating a team's worst record in the last 5 years very little changes in the rankings. Women's soccer slightly passes wrestling for the top spot and football moves up two spots to 5th from 7th. I think this shows that our teams have performed consistently over the last 5 years and results are not skewed by one bad year. The same thing is true if you eliminate their best year in the last 5. Only 3 pairs of teams reverse position and one of them is by .001.

Now, fire away.

We still have too many sports.

What I would like to see but it will never happen....

I say keep volleyball (to offset Wrestling) but can W Tennis, M/W Golf, Field Hockey and W Rowing.

This would leave us:

Fall
Football (which IMO should be left out of the Title IX equation)
M/W Soccer
M/W Cross Country

Winter
M/W Basketball
Wrestling
W Volleyball
Gymnastics

Spring
Baseball
Softball
M/W Lacrosse
M/W Track and Field

That's enough if you ask me.

Not sure what season Swimming and Diving happens but if we were ever going to add/restore something I would bring back the Men's side since it is a B1G sport, there a a lot of good male swimmers in the surrounding area and we already have a pretty darn good facility for it now.

And yes, I know this can never happen because of Title IX stuff but those at the top would be on the chopping block for me.

If you went back over the last 20 years, I am sure that Woman's BB would be #1 although Woman's soccer has had some great years. I know it always comes down to what have you done for me lately. CVS has set the bar so high that it is very hard to meet or beat the expectations. Unfortunately the argument always revolves around money. CVS has done great things for RU and I don't remember her ever being mentioned in any scandals, only positive PR for the University. I am looking forward to a rebound season!

Reactions: ScarletteK80
We still have too many sports.

What I would like to see but it will never happen....

I say keep volleyball (to offset Wrestling) but can W Tennis, M/W Golf, Field Hockey and W Rowing.

This would leave us:

Fall
Football (which IMO should be left out of the Title IX equation)
M/W Soccer
M/W Cross Country

Winter
M/W Basketball
Wrestling
W Volleyball
Gymnastics

Spring
Baseball
Softball
M/W Lacrosse
M/W Track and Field

That's enough if you ask me.

Not sure what season Swimming and Diving happens but if we were ever going to add/restore something I would bring back the Men's side since it is a B1G sport, there a a lot of good male swimmers in the surrounding area and we already have a pretty darn good facility for it now.

And yes, I know this can never happen because of Title IX stuff but those at the top would be on the chopping block for me.
Just a couple of comments, I know that you are realistic about it. And I don't really disagree that RU has too many sports.
- Volleyball is a fall sport (for women). (I think men's is spring, but there are only like 17 D1 teams, so I don't really pay attention).
- Field Hockey (and LAX, to an extent) are North East sports. I think Maryland excels in Field Hockey. I think it would be unusual if RU didn't compete, given our location.
- Given the convolutions when Men's rowing was eliminated . . .
- If the B1G includes the sport, RU should be in it. If they don't, those are the sports that could deserve a second look, IMHO.

Just a couple of comments, I know that you are realistic about it. And I don't really disagree that RU has too many sports.
- Volleyball is a fall sport (for women). (I think men's is spring, but there are only like 17 D1 teams, so I don't really pay attention).
- Field Hockey (and LAX, to an extent) are North East sports. I think Maryland excels in Field Hockey. I think it would be unusual if RU didn't compete, given our location.
- Given the convolutions when Men's rowing was eliminated . . .
- If the B1G includes the sport, RU should be in it. If they don't, those are the sports that could deserve a second look, IMHO.
Somebody in a similar thread reminded me about when Volleyball is played.

And I could live with Field Hockey but I would bring back Men's Swimming and Diving way before even considering M Crew because of the reasons I already mentioned above.

Reactions: Knight Time Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT