ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Soccer vs Penn State

2 bad calls that PSU got away with (non call on handball in the box) ... PSU had a bad half, but picked it up ... lots of time on RU's side ... RU looking faster than usual, and has had chances ... I just don't see RU scoring.

0-0 after 1st OT ... PSU living on RU's side of the field and lots of corner kicks for PSU ... RU needs to get some pressure ... been awhile

0-0 tie ... better than a loss ... PSU was very lucky in last 2 minutes ... on to OSU!!

2 huge non calls

We outplayed them.

Great job by our ladies. One of the best games i have seen them play this year.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I don't post much but watched the game and had some thoughts...Agree with all the above. Bad non calls, could easily have been 2 PKs.
For a 0-0 game it was fun to watch. Both teams played excellent soccer and neither team dominated for too long. Rutgers had some long stretches where they dominated including at the very end.

Ali was a terror for their defense. She just charges players and takes the ball away making them look silly. And if a long ball comes at her she will possess it. But she has trouble getting a shot off for some reason, she has nifty moves so she'll figure it out. And sometimes she is far ahead of any help so maybe she needs to wait.
Colby had some dangerous shots including one off the cross bar. And Nomeme had a beautiful long run but it petered out. A lot of one on one play all around though.

Penn state had some of the best chances. Our defense was good against some good pretty offense, Shaffer (?) was very good. But we had trouble on some set pieces. Not sure Murphy had her best night (for her lofty standards) but still keep a clean sheet and PSU did put a lot of pressure on.

Tie PSU and beat OSU and things are back on track.

Reactions: SirScarlet
I don't post much but watched the game and had some thoughts...Agree with all the above. Bad non calls, could easily have been 2 PKs.
For a 0-0 game it was fun to watch. Both teams played excellent soccer and neither team dominated for too long. Rutgers had some long stretches where they dominated including at the very end.

Ali was a terror for their defense. She just charges players and takes the ball away making them look silly. And if a long ball comes at her she will possess it. But she has trouble getting a shot off for some reason, she has nifty moves so she'll figure it out. And sometimes she is far ahead of any help so maybe she needs to wait.
Colby had some dangerous shots including one off the cross bar. And Nomeme had a beautiful long run but it petered out. A lot of one on one play all around though.

Penn state had some of the best chances. Our defense was good against some good pretty offense, Shaffer (?) was very good. But we had trouble on some set pieces. Not sure Murphy had her best night (for her lofty standards) but still keep a clean sheet and PSU did put a lot of pressure on.

Tie PSU and beat OSU and things are back on track.

Good summary.

Especially the part about our trouble with set pieces. Their corners gave us fits.

Agree with RU in Seattle Ali stole the ball several times and also got some passes but she was always by herself and no support so she had to try and do it herself. The other problem and Ali really needs to work on is she obviously has no left foot as every move she makes is a fake to the left and then she tries to get off a right footed shot. She needs to develop her left because the defense knew this and defended that move every time. Hopefully in the offseason she can work on this. But RU needs to keep someone up front with her that she can play off when she makes these steals!! The only other thing I noticed is we keep the ball on our feet too long and we end up either losing the ball or passes get deflected

I was switching back and forth during the second half and the OTs. Honestly for the portions I saw I thought penn state looked like the better side when it came to possession and had an excellent opportunity off a corner. Rutgers did counter a couple of times but seemed to struggle to string together accurate passes to effectively move the ball. Clearly there was good talent on both sides and RU needs to focus on continuing to try to get better in the opponents end.

We came out much stronger, faster & in sync than we have in several games. Really had them on their heels for most of the 1st half. The non-call on the hand ball in the box was a disgrace. You can bet if it was the other way around it would have been called. The non call on the pull down in the box was a gem as well. You can bet that would have been called on us. That ref was an "in the bag" bum. We would have won that game without the hosing. Got to come out the same way against Ohio State & beat them. Go Ladies & Go RU. Great to see Carli Lloyd at the game.

There needs to be more Carli Lloyd type players that are scoring threats in order to increase fan interest in soccer.Too many games where there are no goals in mens and womens soccer.

There needs to be more Carli Lloyd type players that are scoring threats in order to increase fan interest in soccer.Too many games where there are no goals in mens and womens soccer.
It was a very, very exciting game.

Great job by the ladies getting the tie. Just wish they had played to this level the past 2 weekends (other than Wiscy). Damn shame we left a lot of points on the field. Gotta win out from here! 9 points or bust!

(I kid, I kid...)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT