ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling expectations vs. reality

PhilaPhans

Best Poster Ever!
Apr 23, 2005
Gibbstown, NJ
Are we underachieving so far this year? Or are my expectations way out of whack?

I expected all of our guys to make NCAAs, if healthy. Barring a terrible draw and bad health, I expected up to 3 semifinalists (Suriano, Ash if healthy, Lewis has the ability). I expected up to maybe two other AAs barring health (DelVecchio and Gravina). I expected DeLuca to possibly push for the blood rounds. The Van Brills, Mulligan, Gross, Pagano/Grello, etc. should have the talent to make the tournament, but we'll see from there if they do so. I'm not expecting miracles from all of them, just competitive tough matches against anybody outside of the top couple guys.

That being said, take Ash out right now because of health. We knew about that going in. But Pagano has had a bad year early on. Just got beat by Grello and has now 4-5 losses. Mulligan has had his struggles, which he is definitely working to correct (see the flip flop in scores vs the Army? kid), but like Correnti, college is a new experience for him. Lewis is either struggling to make weight or doesn't want to jeopardize the international competition by worrying about a dual or tournament here and there. Definitely a bit of a headcase, but I guess we knew that too. I think I overestimated what the extra offseason of getting back into wrestling ability would do for Gross. The Van Brills wrestle great, then something weird happens (get caught) and they get down double digits and have to fight back. I assume that's just their wrestling style that contributes to that?

I don't think we're anywhere near the top 5 or so programs, but at the same time I would hope we'd put certain teams away much more thoroughly (more bonus points, better tournament results even for backups). And I definitely think we're a top 10-12 program right now.

None of my worries mean that the above goals can't be accomplished. I'm just questioning what I've seen so far from some of the guys. Love this team. Can't wait to watch them each time out. But we just seem more vulnerable (maybe a better word) than I expected.

Am I crazy? Or is it just too early to even think like that?

Are we underachieving so far this year? Or are my expectations way out of whack?

I expected all of our guys to make NCAAs, if healthy. Barring a terrible draw and bad health, I expected up to 3 semifinalists (Suriano, Ash if healthy, Lewis has the ability). I expected up to maybe two other AAs barring health (DelVecchio and Gravina). I expected DeLuca to possibly push for the blood rounds. The Van Brills, Mulligan, Gross, Pagano/Grello, etc. should have the talent to make the tournament, but we'll see from there if they do so. I'm not expecting miracles from all of them, just competitive tough matches against anybody outside of the top couple guys.

That being said, take Ash out right now because of health. We knew about that going in. But Pagano has had a bad year early on. Just got beat by Grello and has now 4-5 losses. Mulligan has had his struggles, which he is definitely working to correct (see the flip flop in scores vs the Army? kid), but like Correnti, college is a new experience for him. Lewis is either struggling to make weight or doesn't want to jeopardize the international competition by worrying about a dual or tournament here and there. Definitely a bit of a headcase, but I guess we knew that too. I think I overestimated what the extra offseason of getting back into wrestling ability would do for Gross. The Van Brills wrestle great, then something weird happens (get caught) and they get down double digits and have to fight back. I assume that's just their wrestling style that contributes to that?

I don't think we're anywhere near the top 5 or so programs, but at the same time I would hope we'd put certain teams away much more thoroughly (more bonus points, better tournament results even for backups). And I definitely think we're a top 10-12 program right now.

None of my worries mean that the above goals can't be accomplished. I'm just questioning what I've seen so far from some of the guys. Love this team. Can't wait to watch them each time out. But we just seem more vulnerable (maybe a better word) than I expected.

Am I crazy? Or is it just too early to even think like that?
I'm still expecting 3-5 AA

I would say the team is on target with the expectations.

125) Suriano: As expected
133) Delvecchio: As expected
141) Ashnault: Hurt
Mike Van Brill: Better than expected
149) Deluca: Better than expected
157) Lewis: As Expected (Missed weight once...meh)
165) JVB: Injury is tough but until that point as expected
174) Pagano/Grello: Below expectations so far
184) Gravina: As expected - injury concerns
197) Mulligan (No one knew what to expect)
285) Gross as expected (no knock on him, but he is not a legitimate contender for AA)

Injuries to 3 of our top wrestlers (141,165,184) can make or break our season.
We are lucky to have a little depth at 141.
Take 3 top wrestlers from almost any team and they will struggle.
Note: Just because Lewis missed weight once, not getting down on him. If he misses weight at U23 I would be worried. .

I would say the team is on target with the expectations.

125) Suriano: As expected
133) Delvecchio: As expected
141) Ashnault: Hurt
Mike Van Brill: Better than expected
149) Deluca: Better than expected
157) Lewis: As Expected (Missed weight once...meh)
165) JVB: Injury is tough but until that point as expected
174) Pagano/Grello: Below expectations so far
184) Gravina: As expected - injury concerns
197) Mulligan (No one knew what to expect)
285) Gross as expected (no knock on him, but he is not a legitimate contender for AA)

Injuries to 3 of our top wrestlers (141,165,184) can make or break our season.
We are lucky to have a little depth at 141.
Take 3 top wrestlers from almost any team and they will struggle.
Note: Just because Lewis missed weight once, not getting down on him. If he misses weight at U23 I would be worried. .

Lock Haven looked really good this past weekend. It won't be easy to beat them on their mats.

That is exactly what I said about Loch Haven, PSPower. So is coach Goodale worried as well about LH. That match may come down to who gets the most bonus points for the victory. Got to get Del, DeLuca and Gravina better.

That is exactly what I said about Loch Haven, PSPower. So is coach Goodale worried as well about LH. That match may come down to who gets the most bonus points for the victory. Got to get Del, DeLuca and Gravina better.

That involves changing the culture at Rutgers. Too many 7 point margins of victory to indicate it's a serious point of concern. It has to become second nature to push for bonus instead of wins and there's a long way to go in that regard.

It's not even Thanksgiving, lol, some of you are nuts ,lol.
Regular dual season means almost nothing, anyway.
It's all about getting ready for march.

The OP stated a concern that we are not a top 5 team. We probably are not. With AA in there and Lewis, JVB and a healthy Gravina we could push for that. Right now we have a depleted lineup and still beat a good Oklahoma and Virginia team handily. Not bad. True we have to get better and healthier if we are going to climb the ladder.

What's the prognosis on Ash? Is there a timetable on a return? Is he better off taking a RS?

Oh absolutely. The difference pre-Goodale and post-Goodale is immeasurable. He worked to get the university and boosters to buy in financially. We are competitive for many of the top recruits nationally. Results are building each year from hoping we get guys qualified for nationals to expecting it.

And for WNG, my expectations aren't that we are a top 5 team. I think as a team we are where we should be. I just meant individual performances so far this year from some of the guys.

Maybe I just underrated teams like Oklahoma and Virginia, even when we aren't at full strength.

Phil’s
I was not being a wise guy. Okie and UVA are good teams and with Lewis the score is 24 or 25-6. Fully stocked we are a very good team. I hope AA rehabs this year and does not come back in Jan/Feb as he will not be at top shape. I would rather have him come back at full form a year from now. Guys like Jack and Heil are gone and yes I expect him to get a 6th year.

Hey guys, I remember some kids were worried about Nick against the Oklahoma wrestler Moody, when he won 4-1.

Well, Moody upset #12 Zeke Moisley this past weekend.

Also, Brandon Cray of MD upset #9 Connor Schram (Nicky tech'ed Cray)

All good news.

Change of topic, I brought up Moisey in one of andregre’s early weekly rankings thread but got no response. The guy has had almost a bad of a start as Pagano. Check out his year so far. How he’s ranked that high I don’t understand. Definitely underachieving.

All good news.

Change of topic, I brought up Moisey in one of andregre’s early weekly rankings thread but got no response. The guy has had almost a bad of a start as Pagano. Check out his year so far. How he’s ranked that high I don’t understand. Definitely underachieving.
Ppl still remember that he was a NCAA finalist but clearly Moisey isn't the same wrestler anymore

All good news.

Those rankings get better as the year progresses and there are more results to feed into his algorithm. From what I recall, Andre's rankings are basically all automated with no human input, aside from determining the parameters and how they are weighted in the formula. Wouldn't really start paying too much credence to them until January.

With only 9.9 scholarships, the level you are at is tenuous, no matter the level. No one has a
All good news.

Wrestlestat math includes all prior years. It's not just from this year.

College wrestling is tough - there are good guys everywhere, better training/coaching nationally, upsets all the time, one point wins, fatigued guys, lost freshman, etc.

It's a battle for everyone and every team - ESPECIALLY for those teams ranked between 5-15

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT