ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling: Last night analysis

RUCreedo

Sophomore
Dec 31, 2015
I'm sure there are mixed feelings about last nights match.Just wanted too impart my views.

125 McCabe: I think the kid is all heart.Not the "vocal" member of the team,and wins clutch matches.Love the kids poise and performance.Still needs too get a little stronger.Other than that,he did great
133 Giraldo: He's my dark horse AA this year.Yeah,his cardio needs some work,but he still comes up big everytime.
141 Ashnault:Look,the kid is dynamic.Sometimes kids are jetlagged or a little burnt that day.Any given Sunday,Ashnault beats that kid 9 times out of 10.He's an undefeated NJ hs state champion and a freshman AA..that's pretty spectacular.
149 Dippery:I think he did good.Kept it close with a very tough and Possible AA this year,Short.He too has got to get strong.These top 10 guys are so strong upper body and that's where Tyson looses his matches,getting controlled in the tie up's
157 VanBrill: He's a gamer,and was definitely trying too score.Give the kid time,he'll make his mark on this program
165 Perrotti;I think by now,we are kind of use too this,with him.Wrestles some just above 500 guy,and squeaks out a win,but dominates a Ramos,who is ranked #2 in the country.The only problem is,what Perrotti are we going too see for Big 10's and NCAA"s?
174 Bakuckas: Definitely the kid you get the most frustrated with.He is so up and down.Midlands,was attacking and shooting,like his life depended on it.Then,he wrestles another unranked guy and goes into defensive mode.If Phil want's too make NCAA"s and crack the top 10 next year,he's got too stick too a plan.
184 Gravina: Can't say enough about this kid.His personality,his grit,his mental toughness..all with limited physical skills.He's what Rutgers Wrestling stands for.Kid pops his shoulder back in and continues too wrestle..now that's a guy I want leading my company.
197 Messner: Poor kid gets too wrestle on the big stage,and get's Pfarr.I think the kid showed guts.He was severely outclassed,but kept going at the kid and didn't mind mixing it up.He's another one who needs too get stronger.You can see Pfarr's physical dominance in the tie-ups and hand fighting.
HWT Smith: Yay! Smitty finally set his mind straight,and beat his first AA and top 10 opponent this year.Now,the big question is,can he continue this momentum?I don't think so.Billy gets these flashes of brilliance and looses too a mid level heavyweight the following week.Consistency has been his Achilles Heel,since day one.I still don't think he AA's this year.Round of 12 at best.

Good analysis. We got a strong lineup from top to bottom. And we got quality depth on this team.

Gravina is a warrior. I mean, unless you popped out your shoulder in a match, you don't know how your body becomes when your opponent circles around to your bad shoulder. But I think that is wrestling. It's a tough sport for tough kids, and Rutgers wrestling is becoming a place for these tough wrestlers. I'm becoming a bigger fan with each match.

Not picking on Ash but what in the world based on what you saw would leave you to believe he would win the next 9 matches against that kid who almost majored him? Did you watch the match or just going off results?

Not picking on Ash but what in the world based on what you saw would leave you to believe he would win the next 9 matches against that kid who almost majored him? Did you watch the match or just going off results?
I watched the whole match ( have BTN subscription).He was tired and defeated,when he walked out there.He had the mid to late season blues.I don't think he is going too win NCAA's this year,but I'd make a fair wager that he places top 4.

Ashnault has any entire career that would suggest he beats Thorn next time they wrestle. I would bet on him to finish higher at the Big 10's for sure.

it wasn't a typical match for Anthony. I would bet next time Ash finishes a TD in the first, gets an escape in the 2nd, and doesn't lose both scrambles where he gave up 6 points. doubt if you want, I wouldn't.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I'm sure there are mixed feelings about last nights match.Just wanted too impart my views.

125 McCabe: I think the kid is all heart.Not the "vocal" member of the team,and wins clutch matches.Love the kids poise and performance.Still needs too get a little stronger.Other than that,he did great
133 Giraldo: He's my dark horse AA this year.Yeah,his cardio needs some work,but he still comes up big everytime.
141 Ashnault:Look,the kid is dynamic.Sometimes kids are jetlagged or a little burnt that day.Any given Sunday,Ashnault beats that kid 9 times out of 10.He's an undefeated NJ hs state champion and a freshman AA..that's pretty spectacular.
149 Dippery:I think he did good.Kept it close with a very tough and Possible AA this year,Short.He too has got to get strong.These top 10 guys are so strong upper body and that's where Tyson looses his matches,getting controlled in the tie up's
157 VanBrill: He's a gamer,and was definitely trying too score.Give the kid time,he'll make his mark on this program
165 Perrotti;I think by now,we are kind of use too this,with him.Wrestles some just above 500 guy,and squeaks out a win,but dominates a Ramos,who is ranked #2 in the country.The only problem is,what Perrotti are we going too see for Big 10's and NCAA"s?
174 Bakuckas: Definitely the kid you get the most frustrated with.He is so up and down.Midlands,was attacking and shooting,like his life depended on it.Then,he wrestles another unranked guy and goes into defensive mode.If Phil want's too make NCAA"s and crack the top 10 next year,he's got too stick too a plan.
184 Gravina: Can't say enough about this kid.His personality,his grit,his mental toughness..all with limited physical skills.He's what Rutgers Wrestling stands for.Kid pops his shoulder back in and continues too wrestle..now that's a guy I want leading my company.
197 Messner: Poor kid gets too wrestle on the big stage,and get's Pfarr.I think the kid showed guts.He was severely outclassed,but kept going at the kid and didn't mind mixing it up.He's another one who needs too get stronger.You can see Pfarr's physical dominance in the tie-ups and hand fighting.
HWT Smith: Yay! Smitty finally set his mind straight,and beat his first AA and top 10 opponent this year.Now,the big question is,can he continue this momentum?I don't think so.Billy gets these flashes of brilliance and looses too a mid level heavyweight the following week.Consistency has been his Achilles Heel,since day one.I still don't think he AA's this year.Round of 12 at best.

we pretty much both saw the same things (glad I'm not alone there) Very good summary except that I disagree about Smith...He doesn't lose to guys that he is better than..(I know Larsen got Billy at Midlands..But Larsen is pretty even in terms of talent) This was a huge step for Billy as beating higher ranked kids has been a huge stumbling block for Billy his whole career...Now I think he finally has the confidence that these guys really aren't better... I'm very interested to see where Billy actually does go from here!!

If you have watched Ash wrestle the past 2 years, you would have quickly realized that something just wasn't quite right with him yesterday..

Like your summary on most of the matches but I don't get the same excitement with Billy Smith's match. I know he won and that's the good part. If you look at this match the only difference between it and his past matches was his ability to hang on for the ride out in overtime. To me he wrestled the same way that he always wrestles against higher ranked opponents, No takedowns, one to one match going into overtime and hope to come away with the ride out win. Sorry but I don't see yesterdays match as anything different from him other than this time he came away with the win. I really hope I am wrong, but I don't see it.

Like your summary on most of the matches but I don't get the same excitement with Billy Smith's match. I know he won and that's the good part. If you look at this match the only difference between it and his past matches was his ability to hang on for the ride out in overtime. To me he wrestled the same way that he always wrestles against higher ranked opponents, No takedowns, one to one match going into overtime and hope to come away with the ride out win. Sorry but I don't see yesterdays match as anything different from him other than this time he came away with the win. I really hope I am wrong, but I don't see it.
No,no RuMatFan,this is what the forum is,agree too disagree.You have some valid points,but Billy has lost too more than 1 mid level heavyweight this year.Sam Stoll was ranked way lower than him when they wrestled.Yes,Stoll now has a shot of AA'ing,but before that he was not some Iowa Prodigy,that would get a..let's say..a Bo Nikal,or Bo Jordan type ranking as a freshman,without being proven on the mat.Same with Blaize Cabell.As I have said in the past,rankings are only as good as you finish at NCAA's.Cabell was way overrated at the time and has never placed at NCAA's,and will bet the house on it,he won't this year either.Billy reminds me of one of those heavyweights that beats some good guys,but just can't put it together for the NCAA's.Like DJ Russo,Billy has some great wins,but would you rather go in with a 3-15 record and AA,or 31-0 and loose two in a row.He doesn't shoot that much anymore,and has be way too cautious.I get it,it's his last shot,and wrestling a tentative,but strategic match like that helps huge for Big 10 Seedings.The problem is,Billy will beat some really tough kid,second round,but loose too some guy who upset the 5 seed guy,with a lower ranking.

we pretty much both saw the same things (glad I'm not alone there) Very good summary except that I disagree about Smith...He doesn't lose to guys that he is better than..(I know Larsen got Billy at Midlands..But Larsen is pretty even in terms of talent) This was a huge step for Billy as beating higher ranked kids has been a huge stumbling block for Billy his whole career...Now I think he finally has the confidence that these guys really aren't better... I'm very interested to see where Billy actually does go from here!!
Stoll was ranked much lower when they wrestled,and Cabell's resume was equal or lesser that Smiths.Cabell dominated Smith

Stoll was ranked much lower when they wrestled,and Cabell's resume was equal or lesser that Smiths.Cabell dominated Smith

alright...lets not nitpick every single thing here...Billy has a mental block (which aint exactly a secret around these parts) when he wrestles kids he perceives as better than him...For the first time he got thru that mental block by beating Kroells...What he does from here, we will find out soon enough..

alright...lets not nitpick every single thing here...Billy has a mental block (which aint exactly a secret around these parts) when he wrestles kids he perceives as better than him...For the first time he got thru that mental block by beating Kroells...What he does from here, we will find out soon enough..

Agreed.Don't want too steal the kid's thunder.Hopefully,he'll prove me wrong.

RuCreedo said in his opinion Ash beats Thorn 9 out of 10 times..that's what I was alluding to. He was very close to being majored. If you watched the end of the match, Ashnault was backing up so that he wouldn't get taken down again. So regardless of it was a bad day, bad matchup, tired, etc..there's no way from that match to think he wins the next 9 against Thorn.

I've watched Ash since high school. I was shocked watching how this one went down. I'm a fan of his as I am all the NJ guys..just shocked by the "9 out of 10" comment is all.

If you have watched Ash wrestle the past 2 years, you would have quickly realized that something just wasn't quite right with him yesterday..

So would you also claim that if Ash wrestles 9 more times with Thorn, Ash wins all 9? That's what RuCreed said and what I was confused by

yes i would bet Ashnault beats Thorn 9 out of 10 times. it's one match, sometimes you get upset. it happens.

Upsets happen in a 1 pt match or someone gets caught and pinned. Thorn was in control in every aspect. I'm not saying Ash doesn't finish higher than the kid at B1Gs or NCAA, I just think the kids a matchup nightmare for him.

Upsets happen in a 1 pt match or someone gets caught and pinned. Thorn was in control in every aspect. I'm not saying Ash doesn't finish higher than the kid at B1Gs or NCAA, I just think the kids a matchup nightmare for him.

I've seen both kids, and Ash hands down is the better wrestler...Obviously he wasn't yesterday...But he was also wrestling at the end to not give up the major..(since when have you ever seen Ash back away from someone when he's losing...unless he realized where he was in terms of the dual, which I bet my house he was aware!!). Also that kid scored 7 of his 8 points in two quick moves...I really don't wanna take away from Thorns performance as he went after Ash, and took it to him....But I did notice not even a minute in that Ash seemed off his game....whether it was due to an injury, or sucking weight...whatever, that wasn't vintage Ash out there... again I don't wanna make excuses, but I do feel Ash wins at least 8 of 10 vs thorn.....

wasn't a match up problem. Ashnaut wrestled poorly and lost all the key situations. it happens. unless the last 8 years of his career was a mirage I'm taking Anthony in a rematch. Feel free to disagree.

edited to add that Thorn wrestled a great match. deserved the win and the credit. he will be a good one.

Reactions: jerzey devil
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT