ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff’s 2023 Usage

Everyone could use Hakeem moves lol

It will never happen with Cliff. He's just unnatural with the ball in his hands. I'm hoping for just a more consistent drop step and little hook, but he will never have elite post moves
Almost like Hakeem is a hall of famer or something.

There was nothing surprising about Cliff's "regression" last year. We knew teams were going to impede his path straight to the rim and that he'd need to play out of the post a little more. The thing that surprised me was that once we put the ball in Derek's hands, Cliff actually scored less than he had been prior. Haven't gone back to watch, so no idea if that was because Cam's shot making went up, or Derek didn't make Cliff as much a focal point or combinations of many things.

@NewJerseyHawk mentions the guard play above. We haven't upgraded like Purdue did last year. Loyer was a four star, Smith was Indiana's Mr. Basketball. If we had Noah and Cam, things would be improved to help Cliff. Right now we still need a 2/3 that can create or shoot. I don't like to put any expectations on freshman, and am already counting on GG to replicate the offensive points that Caleb provided. I can't put expectations on Davis also, just match Miller.

I guess we’ll just ignore the fact that Gavin is higher rated than both of the Purdue kids from last year even if he’s technically not a guard.

We've already gone over this.

After "3pt Clif" this past season, this season will be "Point Clif" bringing the ball up, driving from the perimeter.

On a serious note, are we sure we don't want Clif posting up?
Not exactly comfortable with him 20ft from the basket looking to score off the dribble.

As long as he only works on it in practice.

Could be the most annoying thread ever on this board - and that is saying something.

Amazing number of experts posting about things they have no idea what they are talking about. I say fire Pike and hire these experts - they could run the team by committee.

Cliff will never be a low post offensive threat at the next level. Get him on the high ball screens rolling to the basket where he can use his athleticism instead of low post skills

I thought we would see the high ball screen PnR all season last year but we really got away from it for some reason until the end when Simpson played more. Possibly due to Paul being injured and less effective off it

I want to see how Fernandes and Cliff look with it next season
Why can’t Cliff get much better in the low blocks with both low post moves and the ability to feel double teams and make the right play.

To date he has been a disappointment with this. He definitely isn’t uncoordinated. I don’t have an answer. I blame both Cliff and the coaching staff. I have a tough time thinking it just isn’t in the cards.

Why can’t Cliff get much better in the low blocks with both low post moves and the ability to feel double teams and make the right play.

To date he has been a disappointment with this. He definitely isn’t uncoordinated. I don’t have an answer. I blame both Cliff and the coaching staff. I have a tough time thinking it just isn’t in the cards.
There aren't many low post threats at the next level - I think he was saying that as much as he was saying Cliff won't do it.

I don't see why anyone wants Cliff to be used in the low post as much as he was last year. He was so much more efficient as a Soph, catching more lobs, and cutting to the basket more, I hope he (or they as in the coaches) get back to Cliff playing like that. Featuring a low post game is a bad way to play in the modern game, unless that low post player is highly efficient and Cliff is not.

Reactions: RUsojo

Cliff looks uncoordinated with the ball in his hands. He's just not natural at all and doesnt have a natural feel of what to do. Every move you can tell he is thinking and being robotic. Maybe it all clicks for him. He did flash a rare good post move a few times, but it's so few and far between. His touch on the hooks really needs improvement too. His passing out of the post was very poor

If Cliff becomes legit good in the low post this team is going to be very very good, but we know he already is very very good when he can use his athleticism for lobs. I am sure Cliff will improve his post game, but there really is no shot he is a low post scoring threat at the next level. That would take a near miracle from where his offensive post game is currently

Reactions: MiloTalon13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT