ADVERTISEMENT

Props to Pike

The RUT

All American
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2011
I’ve been critical, but big props to Pike for running off ball action for his best shooter today.

Gavin’s numbers didn’t look great (3-11), but early on they ran great action for him.

His confidence rose and I thought he tried to do a bit much putting the ball on the floor, but that will be growth for him.

Gavin needs to keep getting looks like this, but now he needs to know when it’s dead to kick it and play within him self.

Shoutout to Pike for the off ball action today, much better offensive movement.

He had a funky play with his knee a few games back that looked uncomfortable. Ever since then he’s played a bit different.

Forget which game it was
Iirc he stepped on somebody's foot and turned his ankle, looked like it could've been a sprain. Not sure which foot/leg it was, but if it was the same ACL knee he definitely could have re-aggravated it a bit.

Took the 2nd half for Pike to wake up and realize that J Mike and GG can give more than most of the team
These two should just start at this point, or at least Gavin. A Williams, Simpson and Fernandez have shown they provide very little as starters. Start Gavin. Just go with JMike, Gavin, Hyatt, Mag, and Cliff as starting five. Focus on developing the two Freshman and give a lot of minutes to Simpson off the bench.

Said weeks ago JMike is your PG facilitator… Gavin should play from here out. JMike and Derek perfect together .

Reactions: rutgers1998
Our 4 guards are all pretty meh... It seems like they take turns with which one has a halfway decent game while the other 3 stink up the place. I guess today it's JMike's turn to be anointed the guy who gets all the minutes going forward.

Our 4 guards are all pretty meh... It seems like they take turns with which one has a halfway decent game while the other 3 stink up the place. I guess today it's JMike's turn to be anointed the guy who gets all the minutes going forward.

You not wrong re: take turns with 1 having a good game and other 3 stink it up. It’s been happening all season.

But the difference is that Simpson and JMick have a future here while the other two don’t.

So if none are consistently better you might as well play the young guys

Was interesting to see Simpson sitting in crunch time. GRUnit on life support?
Lol! Simpson played well. Hit some nice jumpers, 8 points, three rebounds, three assists.

Thought JMike had his best game. No problem going with hot hand.

Pike worked all four guards very well today. Purdue had 50% more turnovers than RU.

Mags was the issue today. Two games in a row.

Last edited:
Lol! Simpson played well. Hit some nice jumpers, 8 points, three rebounds, three assists.

Pike worked all four guards very well today. Purdue had 50% more turnovers than RU.

I did not like Simpson’s game at all today

I agree with you. However, Williams and Fernandes are seniors. Simpson has shown he can at least be a backup guard next year (if he stays). Davis will be here, is the youngest and probably has the most upside anyway.

Noah and Willams’ playtime needs to be more situational going forward.

This.

The reality is all 4 of our guards are extremely inconsistent.

They’ve all had a few really good games and then have been meh or pretty bad for the remainder of the games.

Reactions: Scangg and satnom
His next assist may be his first.
Him and Cliff really need to learn how to play together.

Very rarely do they have good spacing to create an opportunity for a dish on a roll. Cliff and him stay so congested on the roll it never goes anywhere.

This.

The reality is all 4 of our guards are extremely inconsistent.

They’ve all had a few really good games and then have been meh or pretty bad for the remainder of the games.

yeah this is something that really is killing us, so inconsistent. I see the most consistency with J Mike right now and most upshot

For some of you if a guy has a good game, play him -- if next is a bad game , sit him. What the hell-- that's why all of us who are not coaching RU get paid a fat zero-- thank god.
I honestly deserve a little bit of a kick back from the staff.

Past week and a half I’ve been saying they’re misusing GG. They must have read my posts begging for the staff to run screens for him off ball.

I want my commission check!!

You must be kidding me. Derek was selfish and never properly attacked the basket. Branden Smith on Purdue is also a sophomore who has taken a big leap this year. He set his team up controlled tempo , got the ball to Edey , distributed to other players who happened to miss their shots today , and was aggressive to the basket for banked layups and hit his open threes. That was close to a great game. What Derek did was nothing close. His failure to find Hyatt or Cliff or anyone was a disaster. His failure to beat his man and cause Edey to come over to him so he could throw the pass or lob to Cliff was part of his lousy point guard play. He is our point guard and has to play like it and although good point guards can score when an opening is there to score , his main job to to make his teammates better. Derek did not do that today. 19 games in and he has not done the good things enough if at all.

I still don't see Simpson as a real PG, more of a combo guard that's not a very good shooter unfortunately. Maybe if he gets stronger next season he would be a better finisher on his layup drives. Right now Derek should be a back-up guard, but Noah didn't pan out as PG1 and JMike is a frosh prone to some undisciplined plays (reminds me a little bit of JY his first year at RU).

Last edited:
I know you said AW killed us in the game thread, which the fouls didn’t help, but I though bringing in Simpson and Fernandes with about 5.5 to go was pretty brutal
I think Williams fouled out at that point. Who would you have brought in instead of Simpson? It's become a usual thing to knock Simpson. He played OK - 4-10, 3 assists and 3 rebounds in 25 minutes.

Reactions: G- RUnit
On Pike’s coaching ability, the team continues to underperform its expected Adj. offensive rating by 5-7 points per 100 possessions — even shooting as expected probably puts this team near the bubble.

There are certainly systemic issues involved in Pike’s offense (mid-range !!), and the lack of talent this year is a direct indictment on his recruiting and perhaps naïveté in the transfer portal era, but collectively he’s a very very good coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT