ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling: winning in the B1G

RU Husky

All Conference
Sep 26, 2011
Don't know if this was already discussed. B1G is very strong and very deep. Looking at our B1G schedule, does RU have enough talent to beat any of the teams scheduled ? If we were to upset any of those ranked higher, who would that be?

already discussed. look at FLo and Intermat team rankings and you will see teams ranked above us in Big Ten.
Beating U of Oklahoma shows that bonus points matter.

Originally posted by RU Husky:
Don't know if this was already discussed. B1G is very strong and very deep. Looking at our B1G schedule, does RU have enough talent to beat any of the teams scheduled ? If we were to upset any of those ranked higher, who would that be?
I will take a shot at your two above questions.

Yes I believe RU has the talent to beat any of the teams scheduled. RU has 14 remaining duals, 9 of those are against B1G opponents. First I think RU wins the 5 against non B1G opponents (Army, Davidson, Navy, Princeton and Drexel).

So that leaves the 9 B1G matches, I think RU is going to greatly struggle with Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State. So I see 5 losses there, and quite honestly very ugly losses.

The other B1G matches, and maybe I am drinking the Kool-Aid here I think RU has a chance in these matches. They are Maryland, Wisconsin, Northwestern and yes Penn State. We would have to have a lot of things go our way against Penn State and with the guys they are red shirting RU better take the shot this year because they will be back on top after this year.

This post was edited on 12/8 9:19 AM by obrats

with Smith and Camp in the line up. Rutgers has the potential to make things very interesting with PSU this year. they'd still be big underdogs but an upset would not be impossible. most likely Penn State takes 7 out of 10 matches. but we'll see. if everyone is healthy for RU and PSU has anyone dinged up it could happen.

long way to go tho.

either way, things are looking up.

Didn't Penn State shut us out at home last year? Hard to see us beating them this year, but we can hope.

Originally posted by Scarlet Knut:

Didn't Penn State shut us out at home last year? Hard to see us beating them this year, but we can hope.
Penn State didn't wrestle Rutgers last season. Penn State won @ Rutgers 34-0 on 2/24/13.

Agree. This reminds me of preseason football enthusiasm.

Originally posted by jreinsdorf:

Agree. This reminds me of preseason football enthusiasm.
Obviously PSU remains very good, but keep in mind two multiple national champs on that squad, Taylor and Ruth, have now graduated, and two AA's, Retherford and Megaludis are redshirting this year. RU, on the other hand, is significantly improved. We were extremely young last year, and did not have Ashnault available.

They may very well beat us, and will certainly be favored to do so, but this year's match should not resemble last years.

This match can be a lot closer then people think. In order to win though, we need near perfect results. Getting bonus in matches we are heavy favorites and not giving up bonus. We need to win the tossups and have an upset or 2 for any hope.

Well, let's break down the RU-PSU match:

Ashnault favored at 141

Perrotti likely favored at 157 (when Dylan Alton returns from injury - he's not redshirting, is he? - then it's a tossup)

Smith a tossup against Gingrich/Lawson at HWT

Theobold a slight underdog to Beitz at 149 (however Beitz just lost to Van Brill and according to www.centredaily.com, he is battling asthma)

That's four of the ten matches where we have a realistic chance. Obviously no room for error. We'd have to sweep all four matches. And then we'd need an upset in another bout (none seem likely - Orr/Visicaro vs Hammond may be most realistic). Then on top of all that, we'd need to win the bonus points (a daunting challenge considering Gulibon, Brown, and McIntosh are all top 5).

no one will know what the match up will be until the match takes place but here's the potential line ups for RU v PSU in January

125 McCabe v Conaway
133 DelVecchio v Guilbon
141 Ashnault v Moss
149 Theobold v Beitz
157 Perrotti v Law
165 Orr v Hammond
174 Bakuckas v Brown
184 Hrymack v McCutcheon
197 Camp v McIntosh
285 Smith v Gingrich

injuries could drastically change the line ups, but my guess is RU most likely wins 3, could unsurprisingly win 4, and could quite possibly win 5. But to win 5 and score more bonus points is very unlikely. so yes, still a huge upset but it does not take a delusional fan to consider it in the realm of possibility.

anyway, should be fun. will probably set the single meet attendance record too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT