ADVERTISEMENT

WSU Spring football

Mr_Twister

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2004
Linked article confirms that Washington State is punter-less so far. The team's strength -- all offensive line starters return. And this ... "Basically every position on one of country's worst defenses is up for grabs."

Read more here: http://www.theolympian.com/2015/04/03/3660915/wsu-spring-football-competition.html#storylink=cpy

WSU Spring football ...

Sounds like they are young all around. . .

Nowhere will that competition be more pronounced, at least on
offense, than at wide receiver. For starters, the Cougars have to
replace more than 2,500 yards and 21 touchdowns in departed seniors
Isiah Myers and Vince Mayle alone.
Then you've got the return of
Gabe Marks, who missed last season but was the team's best receiver in
2013 and can play either inside receiver or outside. The coaches expect
big things out of Calvin Green and moved him to outside receiver,
opening up a spot inside for someone to take, maybe even a freshman.
After all, Marks, River Cracraft and Green all started as freshmen at
inside receiver, so there is a tradition to uphold.

Read more here: http://www.theolympian.com/2015/04/03/3660915_wsu-spring-football-competition.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

Rack, it reminded me of the UNC and Illinois fans from 2006 who kept talking about their "ACC/ B1G players" and we "only" had Big East guys. Wazzou was coming off a surprise bowl bid in 2013 and had a senior-heavy offense at the skill positions. Many had them for at least 7-8 wins and they had A LOT invested in beating us in the opener to gain that. While one game does not a season make, that loss really seemed to skunk them and undermined their psyche something fierce. They looked clearly shaken and timid vs Nevada the next week and didn't start playing well until it was too late. That win was big for us and I still think it was pretty impressive...hope we can take the series this year in Piscataway too.

Joe P.

Good thing that they are going to have a weak WSU defense because our defense is going to be A LOT less productive than they were last year. I think people are underestimating how much time it takes to get an even decent looking offense. Last year's offense was actually very impressive and that was formed over 4 YEARS with Gary Nova as quarterback developing relationships and understanding with all of the offense. It also had an offensive line that also had a great understanding of each other and how to work cohesively as a UNIT!

So yeah I literally can see our defense keeping WSU under 10 points which is why we will win this game.

Most on their boards are expecting a win when they come east. That being said they think that PSU coming west to face them will be an easier win. I hope PSU gets clown-stomped out there and we run all over them when they come here.

Originally posted by r a c k:
Anyone remember the tons of trashtalking WSU fans were posting prior to the opener last year? Jeeeeese

We had WSU fans trash talking to us in the Century Link parking lot before the game in Seattle. Saying " you came a long way to see a arse whopping ". .. We said we will see you after the game, They were nowhere to be found after the final whistle,

Yeah haha... this game is too early in the season for me to be comfortable saying its a win. Been to too many season openers over the years..

Uh, guys, the PSU referred to is Portland State not Penn State. And, yes, they will probably get clown stomped.

Your chances of holding a Mike Leach offense to ten points ranges from slim to none. You may well win but not by something to ten. (I'm a Coug so factor in the bias.)

Best wishes and good luck in the coming season.

Originally posted by MikeRU1766:

So yeah I literally can see our defense keeping WSU under 10 points which is why we will win this game.
I expect us to win the game, but I will take the over on WSU scoring 9.5 pts. Our offense will be good enough for this one. While Nova was a QB for four years, he had a different OC every season, too. It's not like it took him four years to grasp what the Fridge wanted him to do. We are deep at RB and have play makers at WR.

Originally posted by kayak15:

Uh, guys, the PSU referred to is Portland State not Penn State. And, yes, they will probably get clown stomped.

Your chances of holding a Mike Leach offense to ten points ranges from slim to none. You may well win but not by something to ten. (I'm a Coug so factor in the bias.)

Best wishes and good luck in the coming season.
Amusing that someone that State Penn would actually travel to the west coast for a game.

I agree we will not hold WSU to ten points. But it is important to note that we will be very successful at controlling the clock against every team we play this year and our defense is very very good. So I predict that this game will be in the top 3 of lowest points you score this year.

Anyone remember the tons of trashtalking WSU fans were posting prior to the opener last year? Jeeeeese
Their fans? How about ours? We had to read all through camp how it was a horrible match up, it was gonna get ugly, and they hang 70 on us. Did you the forget the outrage when Flood moved Goodwin to DB and started him?

If I remember correctly, our weakest point on D in the opening few games last year was a suspect secondary. I don't think that will be an issue this year. Our balanced running and passing game was what put them away.

Originally posted by kayak15:

Last year, Nevada and Washington held WSU to 13 points, and Stanford and USC held them to 17 points. Only Stanford had an especially potent passing defense or scoring defense.

This season, at home and with an experienced CB corps, I think we perform better defensively than we did last year. I'd be pretty confident in holding WSU under 30, and maybe even under 20. I don't think we'll perform as well offensively, though, given the departures - and will be unlikely to hit 41 points.

My entirely entirely entirely too early expectation would be something like a 28-21 win.

Speaking of trash talking, did anyone else hear the Arkansas fan shouting "this is big boy Football" on our way into the stadium? They were big boys but we killed them with speed and Good Gary just like in their house. His friends all kept telling him to shut up and apologized as we were waiting in line at the gate. It was all good. Especially since we won.

Originally posted by vkj91:

Their fans? How about ours? We had to read all through camp how it was a horrible match up, it was gonna get ugly, and they hang 70 on us. Did you the forget the outrage when Flood moved Goodwin to DB and started him?
Yeah, according to many here it was a mistake to even get on the plane.

But that's come to be the norm. It's always what RU can't do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT