ADVERTISEMENT

Yahoo Sports Slams "Targeting" Call

NotInRHouse

Legend
Oct 17, 2007
But that’s also the problem with the way the targeting rule is enforced. We all understand that the rule is in place to try to make football safer. But it’s also true to note that hits like Powell made against Carter happen very frequently during football games and are not flagged. Some more judiciousness from officiating crews — especially on big plays like this — is needed for the sake of consistency."

I would love GS to cop the fine and just slam these clown officials. It really does seem like it's getting worse and worse with each game.

I said in another thread but this is the worst call I've seen in college lately. To review and still call it is unbelievable. The rule sucks as well. He was in perfect form and the RB dropped last second which means there's nothing he could do there.

It was a very iffy call. Technically it barely met the definition but nobody would have questioned it if it was not called. The announcers didn't think it was targeting.
But the Fox official guy said it was definitely targeting. He did lead with the top of his helmet. Clear as day.

I said in another thread but this is the worst call I've seen in college lately. To review and still call it is unbelievable. The rule sucks as well. He was in perfect form and the RB dropped last second which means there's nothing he could do there.
I really question if these rules were written by guys who ever played the game. It's 4th and 1, Powell is running full speed through a gap and bang there's the rb .... sorry your head is 1 inch in the wrong spot.. see you next week/you are tossed?

I really question if these rules were written by guys who ever played the game. It's 4th and 1, Powell is running full speed through a gap and bang there's the rb .... sorry your head is 1 inch in the wrong spot.. see you next week/you are tossed?
This

The rule was designed to stop guys from launching and hitting with the top of their helmet and "blowing up" runners or receivers coming over the middle. This was simply a football tackle that broke the rules on a technicality.

The problem is the last second movement of the guy with the ball. Anyone who has played this game knows that in real time, things happen quickly.
I thought it was a bogus call since even though his helmet was down, the runner was high and had he stayed high the tackle would have been around his waist.

The problem is the last second movement of the guy with the ball. Anyone who has played this game knows that in real time, things happen quickly.
I thought it was a bogus call since even though his helmet was down, the runner was high and had he stayed high the tackle would have been around his waist.
Don't blame it on the runner! Read the damn rule. You can't lower your helmet and hit the runner with the crown (top) of your helmet into his helmet.

That’s how I saw it too. But my question is: does the ref have any wiggle room for interpretation on this?

When Dick Butkus passed someone commented that every one of his tackles would have been illegal in today's game. I know what they're trying to do with the new rule, but IMO Powell's hit wasn't what they were aiming for.
On the other hand, the one in a previous RU game where they threw the flag for the hit on GW and then picked it back up was more in line with what they're trying to discourage.

But the Fox official guy said it was definitely targeting. He did lead with the top of his helmet. Clear as day.
100%

how anyone could argue otherwise is beyond me

Of all the schools where you would think the kids would see what they hit; it'd be Rutgers

On the other hand, the one in a previous RU game where they threw the flag for the hit on GW and then picked it back up was more in line with what they're trying to discourage.

RU player: our QB (in a defenseless position and clearly going out of bounds) gets hit in the back of the head in a hit that the defender could easily have avoided. Flag thrown. Then subsequently picked up?!

MSU player: their running back, running straight up the middle gets hit straight up. Our defender is tackling him in the mid section, the RB lowers his head at the last split second. No flag thrown. Commentators show it over and over again calling it a great hit. Come back from commercial time out and they call it targeting after the fact

What did I miss ?

Let's ask this- has anyone ever seen it called as a RB head down to run into the middle of the lines and met in the middle by a defender on a 3rd or 4th and 1?
Never- and just no way the defender could do a thing about it- was a football play.

RU player: our QB (in a defenseless position) gets hit in the back of the head in a hit that the defender could easily have avoided. Flag thrown. Then subsequently picked up?!

MSU player: their running back, running straight up the middle gets hit straight up. Our defender is tackling him in the mid section, the RB lowers his head at the last split second. No flag thrown. Commentators show it over and over again calling it a great hit. Come back from commercial time out and they call it targeting after the fact

What did I miss ?
Bingo

You would argue this. The rule is horrible. It was a perfect form tackle.
No it was an exciting tackle. It was targeting. Targeting does NOT mean intentional. He lowered his head and hit the runner in the head with the crown of his helmet. It's a very simple rule.
I'm shocked that people that call themselves real Rutgers fans argue that this rule is stupid. It's designed to actually protect the tackler. Amazes me "so called" Rutgers fans can't figure that out.

No it was an exciting tackle. It was targeting. Targeting does NOT mean intentional. He lowered his head and hit the runner in the head with the crown of his helmet. It's a very simple rule.
I'm shocked that people that call themselves real Rutgers fans argue that this rule is stupid. It's designed to actually protect the tackler. Amazes me "so called" Rutgers fans can't figure that out.
He clearly didn't launch the crown of his helmet into the defenders facemask. He tackled the RB and the helmet contact was inconsequential

He clearly didn't launch the crown of his helmet into the defenders facemask. He tackled the RB and the helmet contact was inconsequential

There is simply no way anyone could say he launched at the RBs head - he was wrapping him up around the mid section and the RB lowered his helmet instinctively at the very last split second before contact…. ie a play that happens many many many many times during every game with no call ….as it shouldn’t be

Launch is not a requirement!! It's a safety rule! It was targeting by rule. And in the end nothing as Rutgers got the ball back right after. Everyone keeps bringing in other factors which have zero to do with that play. It certainly wasn't inconsequential to the running back. A very cool, exciting play. Was yelling at it was huge. Then you watch the replay and there you go.

• Haha
Reactions: RedTeam1994
Launch is not a requirement!! It's a safety rule! It was targeting by rule. And in the end nothing as Rutgers got the ball back right after. Everyone keeps bringing in other factors which have zero to do with that play. It certainly wasn't inconsequential to the running back. A very cool, exciting play. Was yelling at it was huge. Then you watch the replay and there you go.
We lost our best defensive player due to that call! What do you mean 'in the end nothing' lmao.

If he matches peck to peck, which I know Rutgers teaches, he has no issues.

Can't leave things up to the refs. Kids are coached to do things for a reason. He made an awesome play, but didn't tackle how he's taught too.

Dumb it down for me. How exactly was Powell supposed to tackle him? RB was coming full speed. Should Powell move to the side and try to arm tackle. Should he pull the running backs flag? Rule really needs to be looked at. If it is a safety issue why are some called and some not when in all of these cases contact to the head made?

Dumb it down for me. How exactly was Powell supposed to tackle him? RB was coming full speed. Should Powell move to the side and try to arm tackle. Should he pull the running backs flag? Rule really needs to be looked at. If it is a safety issue why are some called and some not when in all of these cases contact to the head made?
Head up, not down.

RU player: our QB (in a defenseless position and clearly going out of bounds) gets hit in the back of the head in a hit that the defender could easily have avoided. Flag thrown. Then subsequently picked up?!

What did I miss ?
Big Ten is a criminal organization

Reactions: RuBird
Learn the rule clown. You get caught, your out. Thankfully he walked off the field.
Learn grammar. It's 'you're out'. For someone who requires everyone to be a stickler and learn rules, you set a poor example.

You must have one of those walrus mustaches, a belly the size of a beach ball, and wear suspenders (that you insist are called braces) to hold up your wranglers.

Go read a book. Might I recommend "Go Dog Go"? You must start somewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT