ADVERTISEMENT

Yahoo Sports Slams "Targeting" Call

What was going on with the referees in this game?

Late in the first half the referees seemed to lose the plot of this game. While many of the calls benefited MSU, it still looked messy. MSU benefited from more than a few helpful (and borderline) pass interference calls. They also benefited from a roughing the passer penalty called on a defender who clearly had lost control and was falling down. Further, a frankly bizarre targeting call transformed a turnover on downs to MSU’s offense being moved 15 yards into the red zone.

Add in the late game weirdness with the clock and it felt like Rutgers got the opposite of home field advantage with the refs.

Thank you. Your post is very helpful. I've never played, but it must be hard for a player to learn to both keep his head up and lead with his shoulder. My guess is there's a temptation to make the head and shoulders one line rather than to bend the neck. But maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Thanks again!
It is the conceptual difference between old school "bite the football" tackling vs rugby style tackling. Rugby style is taught by most coaches now and is peck to peck, wrap and roll through the thighs. It is about eyes up football tackling to protect the tackler.

Reactions: RUnTeX
But that’s also the problem with the way the targeting rule is enforced. We all understand that the rule is in place to try to make football safer. But it’s also true to note that hits like Powell made against Carter happen very frequently during football games and are not flagged. Some more judiciousness from officiating crews — especially on big plays like this — is needed for the sake of consistency."

I would love GS to cop the fine and just slam these clown officials. It really does seem like it's getting worse and worse with each game.
I understand the targeting rule and reason for it. It does make sense at a principled level. However, what is making a mockery of the rule is it is consistently being inconsistently applied. I understand it is difficult to implement, but you have to be consistent on applying one way or the other in grey areas while this rule continues to develop. The Big Ten Conference officials have been about as random as you can get on its application of the rule. The Conference needs to get its act together and now that they have a Billion dollars, they can afford to get better officiating talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotInRHouse

Late in the first half the referees seemed to lose the plot of this game. While many of the calls benefited MSU, it still looked messy. MSU benefited from more than a few helpful (and borderline) pass interference calls. They also benefited from a roughing the passer penalty called on a defender who clearly had lost control and was falling down. Further, a frankly bizarre targeting call transformed a turnover on downs to MSU’s offense being moved 15 yards into the red zone.

Add in the late game weirdness with the clock and it felt like Rutgers got the opposite of home field advantage with the refs.

Well, that sort of clears up exactly what the MSU fans even thought of the Refs...and it was for their favor...

Wow - I don’t recall ever seeing it before where the reffing was so skewed other team’s beat writers write a segment about it. Tells you all you need to know.

Wow - I don’t recall ever seeing it before where the reffing was so skewed other team’s beat writers write a segment about it. Tells you all you need to know.
At best - you get a "we got a few favorable calls" but not the WTF type response

Hey good on BrandonBD guy being objective and not agenda driven. Very rare to find these days in journalism.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT