ADVERTISEMENT

Yeboah vs Eugene, what the advanced stats say

Yeah, in 2017-18 Sanders took 25%... which gives some idea of how often Yeboah had the ball in his hands last year for SB. Freeman and Baker each took 17%.

Luckily it looks like he may be a better catch and shoot guy then off the dribble so the ball coming out of his hands will probably work to our and his favor.

Anyone still listening to this guys nonsense should have their head examined. We get it. You will never be able to forgive EO for leaving and now he stinks.

Reactions: bac2therac
Who knows, if the talk of him not getting along with team mates, not being well liked, that point could be valid. I just don't like to take that into consideration when figuring which way we'd be a better team

If you believe some internet poster (with his internet balls) knows more about it than Pikiell, then I can point you to Mr. Tv’s private email group for an endless stream of more bullsh!t.

Btw, I happen to have some magic beanstalk seeds I’m selling. I’ve heard rumors of it leading to riches in the clouds. Let me know if you’re interested in buying them. I’m sure we can work out a deal.

This is what it comes down to. A person on a message board watching tapes and giving an amateur scouting report in a thread entitled advanced stats in which the amateur treats stats in the B1G and whatever league SB plays in the same. Keep mining.

someone get the firehouse, you just burnt him

Has anyone been arguing who was the better player? I think the big thing is would we have been a better team with both of them, or just one of them? We would have been better with both. That would give us three bigs with a PER of 19 (or 19.1 in Yeboah) rather then two. One who spreads the floor and one who operates down low.
Thank you!

2, id prefer to have them both IF eugene was willing to take on a role he fits best which is 15-20 mins a game. If given the choice to only have one id take yeboah as most would

You can think Yeboah is the better player while also thinking it was not a good development losing Eugene.

Both of those thoughts can co-exist. That’s my biggest issue with all of these debates.

2, id prefer to have them both IF eugene was willing to take on a role he fits best which is 15-20 mins a game. If given the choice to only have one id take yeboah as most would

Kyk...but just 3 weeks before Eugene left you were excited about the prospect of having Eugene and Yeboah playing together....you said, 25 minutes for Eugene and 24 for Yeboah. You said the best lineup was those two, Harper, Baker and Young.

Why the change after he decided to transfer?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I went on SBU page yesterday. All fans were very upset they lost the "most important player on their team." Many said how great of a player and person he is. They also said he would be a top ten transfer, and they were not far off.

Sounds like RU and SBU had a very similar experience with people leaving and the thoughts they had.

you're very weird with always mentioning my name, not that I care, I think it's cute. I like when people say my name [winking].

At any rate, go watch yeboah's tape against p5 opponents. And if you really wanna get familiar with how he stacks up against players at our level on our team, go shoot the lock off your wallet and pay $14.95/month or $120/year to buy big ten plus, and go back to 12/22/2017 and watch him vs our guys.

Lmfao, I only do it because my friend went to school with you, and he told me to mess with you. And the first time i did it you got super pissed.

That being said I think yeboah is a good player but I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that he will make up for EO production. Hopefully you are right

Lmfao, I only do it because my friend went to school with you, and he told me to mess with you. And the first time i did it you got super pissed.

That being said I think yeboah is a good player but I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that he will make up for EO production. Hopefully you are right
Who?

Yeboah will more than make up, our team will be much more efficient

EO and Geo stat lines were both likely to be lower in shot attempts and minutes this coming season, because of Jacob Young and the development of the freshman as sophomores.

It comes down to how many touches and shot attempts would it have taken EO to remain "as the best player on the team", if very few of them have no defender within 5 feet of Eugene if he catches the ball at the foul line or anywhere on the perimeter.

What the Eugene fans here refuse to watch is actually our own game tape.....i cant begin to explain how much easier it is to defend RU, when Kaleb Wesson only has to run down the court and make a beeline straight to the front of the basket, without even a hint of attempting to leave the lane.

Wesson rarely even bothered to step outside the paint, because the entire defensive gameplan was

A) to clog the lane, with our bigs not even a threat to shoot.....in the home win vs Ohio State, it was so blatant how little respect OSU gave our bigs, that they sagged off Shaq Carter, who had 2 to 3 seconds to set his feet and launch a 3.....which drew moans because he was WIDE open and groans because he actually took it....when he made the shot, people were shocked, because our bigs cant threaten the defense from the 4 position on offense from outside the paint.

B) Watch the Michigan home game where Brazdekis is literally coached to "run to the restricted area", because our PF cant shoot.....EO actually took a couple of threes but only because they were WIDE open. In a game he led RU in scoring, he could have had 12 to 14 more points, if he was a threat to the defense. In the post game interview with Beilien on the court, he was almost laughing because it was a cleae gameplan....just run to the paint and try and prevent RU from getting 2nd shots on offense and not guard the 4 man....if RU was going to beat Michigan, it wasn't going to be the guards doing it or getting beaten on the offensive glass by RU.

C) Watch Thor Thorwhatver from Nebraska in the B1G tourney game impact RUs offense by just running straight to the lane and turning around. Eugene or our PF wasnt going to shoot the ball, instead EO drives multiple occasions INTO the defense, looking to find an up and under move, draw a foul or wound up getting his shot blocked because our other big man, has his defender also in the paint.

EO's inability to take what the defense gave him from 12 to 19 feet, negatively impacts the offense, because he's not a shooter and he needs to take multiple dribbles, turn his back to the defensive player to protect the ball, which stops the ball movement qnd makes it easier to defend RU as a team.

Actually it's pretty much the same gameplan for how to stop RU when EO was playing....clog the paint and ball pressure to make Geo Baker work for his shot attempts. When those are your 2 leading scorer candidates and RU had others able to make plays, is when RU became a better team and tougher to stop.

It is impossible to fathom how difficult it is to try and knock Yeboah as a player, because Kyk, myself and a bunch of others see a different type of player than EO, one that's a better fit for how RU plays.

The staff didn't pull the game tape and say, "Wow, we're very difficult to stop when our PF cant impact the defense from the perimeter and our opponents literally run their bigs to the paint".....there's no way, RU is a better team on either end of the court, if the opponents PF or C, doesn't have to leave the paint on defense vs RU, can stand there and gobble up rebounds, vs having to actually move his feet and defend a Ron Harper 12 to 17 feet from the basket, where Harper is a threat to shoot the 3, OR drive around a player who's not a mobile or quick.

It's not a tape thing with "Stony Brook" competition with Yeboah....it's actually watching RUTGERS game tapes with EO and seeing what happens. Or what doesn't happen when your PF is no threat from outside of 7 to 8 feet, on a consistent basis and how much more difficult it is for the Center to function offensively in the paint area. EO actually clogs the paint with his defender and the defensive player guarding Myles and Shaq Doorson or Carter.

And EO lost the footspeed and mobility on defense that many are still giving him credit for after his knee....Lamar Stevens among others were attacking EO off the dribble or from the perimeter, because he wasn't quick enough to commit full speed to guarding or closing out on shooters OR lacked the lift to block shots.

Watching Stony Brook tape isn't the issue. I have zero doubt whose the better player (its Yeboah today)...., my issue is Rutgers fans not acknowledging or watching our own game tapes and how teams defended RU or attacked RU on defense. You're going to be surprised if fans want to actually watch it.

EO and Geo stat lines were both likely to be lower in shot attempts and minutes this coming season, because of Jacob Young and the development of the freshman as sophomores.

It comes down to how many touches and shot attempts would it have taken EO to remain "as the best player on the team", if very few of them have no defender within 5 feet of Eugene if he catches the ball at the foul line or anywhere on the perimeter.

What the Eugene fans here refuse to watch is actually our own game tape.....i cant begin to explain how much easier it is to defend RU, when Kaleb Wesson only has to run down the court and make a beeline straight to the front of the basket, without even a hint of attempting to leave the lane.

Wesson rarely even bothered to step outside the paint, because the entire defensive gameplan was

A) to clog the lane, with our bigs not even a threat to shoot.....in the home win vs Ohio State, it was so blatant how little respect OSU gave our bigs, that they sagged off Shaq Carter, who had 2 to 3 seconds to set his feet and launch a 3.....which drew moans because he was WIDE open and groans because he actually took it....when he made the shot, people were shocked, because our bigs cant threaten the defense from the 4 position on offense from outside the paint.

B) Watch the Michigan home game where Brazdekis is literally coached to "run to the restricted area", because our PF cant shoot.....EO actually took a couple of threes but only because they were WIDE open. In a game he led RU in scoring, he could have had 12 to 14 more points, if he was a threat to the defense. In the post game interview with Beilien on the court, he was almost laughing because it was a cleae gameplan....just run to the paint and try and prevent RU from getting 2nd shots on offense and not guard the 4 man....if RU was going to beat Michigan, it wasn't going to be the guards doing it or getting beaten on the offensive glass by RU.

C) Watch Thor Thorwhatver from Nebraska in the B1G tourney game impact RUs offense by just running straight to the lane and turning around. Eugene or our PF wasnt going to shoot the ball, instead EO drives multiple occasions INTO the defense, looking to find an up and under move, draw a foul or wound up getting his shot blocked because our other big man, has his defender also in the paint.

EO's inability to take what the defense gave him from 12 to 19 feet, negatively impacts the offense, because he's not a shooter and he needs to take multiple dribbles, turn his back to the defensive player to protect the ball, which stops the ball movement qnd makes it easier to defend RU as a team.

Actually it's pretty much the same gameplan for how to stop RU when EO was playing....clog the paint and ball pressure to make Geo Baker work for his shot attempts. When those are your 2 leading scorer candidates and RU had others able to make plays, is when RU became a better team and tougher to stop.

It is impossible to fathom how difficult it is to try and knock Yeboah as a player, because Kyk, myself and a bunch of others see a different type of player than EO, one that's a better fit for how RU plays.

The staff didn't pull the game tape and say, "Wow, we're very difficult to stop when our PF cant impact the defense from the perimeter and our opponents literally run their bigs to the paint".....there's no way, RU is a better team on either end of the court, if the opponents PF or C, doesn't have to leave the paint on defense vs RU, can stand there and gobble up rebounds, vs having to actually move his feet and defend a Ron Harper 12 to 17 feet from the basket, where Harper is a threat to shoot the 3, OR drive around a player who's not a mobile or quick.

It's not a tape thing with "Stony Brook" competition with Yeboah....it's actually watching RUTGERS game tapes with EO and seeing what happens. Or what doesn't happen when your PF is no threat from outside of 7 to 8 feet, on a consistent basis and how much more difficult it is for the Center to function offensively in the paint area. EO actually clogs the paint with his defender and the defensive player guarding Myles and Shaq Doorson or Carter.

And EO lost the footspeed and mobility on defense that many are still giving him credit for after his knee....Lamar Stevens among others were attacking EO off the dribble or from the perimeter, because he wasn't quick enough to commit full speed to guarding or closing out on shooters OR lacked the lift to block shots.

Watching Stony Brook tape isn't the issue. I have zero doubt whose the better player (its Yeboah today)...., my issue is Rutgers fans not acknowledging or watching our own game tapes and how teams defended RU or attacked RU on defense. You're going to be surprised if fans want to actually watch it.
GREAT post, GREAT points. @bac2therac unfortunately wont read it though because it makes too many good points

Reactions: Scangg

Time to move on and I love how people cherry pick a few games out of 32.

And, by the way Kaleb Wesson is a center and was matched up against Doorson and Johnson....so yes, he played low post defense against them. I stopped reading your novel right there.

Also, I don't remember anyone ever saying a stretch 4 is not valuable.....I have been calling for one on the roster for 10+ years and questioning why Rutgers could never seem to get one....since who... Herve Laminzana ?

Last edited:
To be fair, almost no one will . . .

Watch the games....people follow the basketball and think that's watching the game.

Do you think it's easier to defend RU when your 4 playing 28 to 30 minutes a game isn't a shooting threat outside of 10 feet and his defender is parked in the lane?? Yes or No....the answer is YES

Do you think it's easier to have the opponents PF gather rebounds if he doesn't leave the paint defending RU when EO was a primary option on offense?? Yes or No....the answer is YES...

Why would RU be worse with a better offensive player at this position, who would require the opponents PF to move his feet and actually defend more floor space???

These are basic, common sense items for basketball. Instead of cliches or stuff, there's only 70 or so possessions per game....lets assume 12 of those ended in turnovers (almost 3 per game by EO)

My only concern ia Yeboah averaging the same amount of turnovers per game. My concern is much smaller because he's got better players around him now and better shooters to help him.

On every other measurement, it's going to make RU a better team. You can argue EO being a better scorer and rebounder but those all require touches, shot attempts and minutes played. On the actual measurements for impacts on a team, Yeboah is a better fit and player to make RU a better team.

Time to move on and I love how people cherry pick a few games out of 32.

And, by the way Kaleb Wesson is a center and was matched up against Doorson and Johnson....so yes, he played low post defense against them. I stopped reading your novel right there.

Also, I don't remember anyone ever saying a stretch 4 is not valuable.....I have been calling for one on the roster for 10+ years and questioning why Rutgers could never seem to get one....since who... Herve Laminzana ?

I didn't cherry pick any games...it's a pattern followed by every program that scouted RU from Miami on forward. I can only ask how RU is a better team, when he's at the 4, and isn't a threat to shoot, averaging 2.5 to 3 turonvers per game and not close to even 70% healthy to defend.

This is about what makes RU a better team. Eugene has value at the 5 but those games are few and far between unless we have a schedule of Maine, Columbia Boston University and or Fordham.

It's not popular to scout and find ways to improve your roster and team....but this is the harsh reality of what it takes to climb the standings in a legitimate league.

I didn't cherry pick any games...it's a pattern followed by every program that scouted RU from Miami on forward. I can only ask how RU is a better team, when he's at the 4, and isn't a threat to shoot, averaging 2.5 to 3 turonvers per game and not close to even 70% healthy to defend.

This is about what makes RU a better team. Eugene has value at the 5 but those games are few and far between unless we have a schedule of Maine, Columbia Boston University and or Fordham.

It's not popular to scout and find ways to improve your roster and team....but this is the harsh reality of what it takes to climb the standings in a legitimate league.

Interesting 247 article dropped a few hours ago ranking the PF's in the B1G....Yeboah #8, Lamar Stevenson #1. I glanced over it.

I did not link it because it's a competing site.
I am not really sure how many are classified as traditional low post 4's vs. Stretch 4 types with more range.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT