ADVERTISEMENT

Yeboah vs Eugene, what the advanced stats say

A 3 pointer made in the America East conference is the same distance as a 3 pointer made in the B1G....I think.....

Kiss stats translated exactly as they did in the MAAC from 3...he actually shot better from 3 at RU than he did at Quinnipiac.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4070686/peter-kiss

He played 10 less minutes per game overall from season to season. The question about "stats", still comes down to mobility, dribble, pass, shoot, score, defend, rebound, footspeed and Yeboah is better across the board.

He doesn't need to average what Eugene does, because there's just one basketball and ideally RU has 4 or maybe 5 kids in double figures most nights.

I would argue that better shot selection, better players, passers and rebounders around Yeboah would make him a better player than what he showed at Stony Brook.

The level of competition is a factor....but the level of teammates that Yeboah has surrounding him here also matters....OR do we only look at it from the negative side of things.???

But now look at the increase in competition between our OOC games and our B1G games, and what it did to Kiss' 3P%:

OOC: 23.6 min, 1.3/4.1 (.317) vs. avg kenpom of 188.9
B1G: 15.3 min, 0.8/2.8 (.291) vs avg kenpom of 37.3

Or, if you just want to look at kenpom:
<100: (.292)
>100: (.333)

As defenses improve, it's harder to get off clean shots.

C'mon Hawk. You know better than that. Try getting your 3-point shot off with Cassius Winston covering you, as compared to Jarvis Nobody from U. of Maryland Baltimore County!
You aren't taking into consideration the fact that at SB he was by far the #1 focus of the opposing team's defense and that he was by far the #1 option on the SB offense. This will inevitably lead to Yeboah having to take contested more difficult shots. At Rutgers he will be one of many weapons and will likely get more open looks than he did at SB

Eugene attempted 164 less 3 point attempts (LOL) and was 14-45 on the year including 6-7 from 3 in his first 2 games of the year vs FDU and Drexel. he completely became irrelevant from 3 afterwards shooting 8-38 for the rest of the year, or in other words 21% after the first 2 games. I take yeboah and I think pike won't admit it but he will too. Pike can now run this team this year alot more to what he's always wanted to do, run and gun and ball movement. Something that eugene wouldn't allow for

That was why my friend said - shit have you been playing me this whole time? That would be funny.

Yeah I know he shot a lot more 3s which is why I was surprised his effective fg percentage was barely higher than EO. I don’t think it’s a stretch to think the new three point line will hurt Yeboahs eFG% more than EOs but we will see right?

I don’t buy the Pike can now run his team they way he wants now that EO was gone. If he wanted to do make more significant changes in play style he would do it regardless if EO was gone. And the fact that he went to Canada probably implies though I won’t speak for him that even if he likes Yeboahs skill set a lot he still wanted EO.

Reactions: bac2therac
Has anyone been arguing who was the better player? I think the big thing is would we have been a better team with both of them, or just one of them? We would have been better with both. That would give us three bigs with a PER of 19 (or 19.1 in Yeboah) rather then two. One who spreads the floor and one who operates down low.

Has anyone been arguing who was the better player? I think the big thing is would we have been a better team with both of them, or just one of them? We would have been better with both. That would give us three bigs with a PER of 19 (or 19.1 in Yeboah) rather then two. One who spreads the floor and one who operates down low.

Shhh... Don't say that in front of the EO is addition by subtraction faction. Your position is way too logical.

That was why my friend said - shit have you been playing me this whole time? That would be funny.

Yeah I know he shot a lot more 3s which is why I was surprised his effective fg percentage was barely higher than EO. I don’t think it’s a stretch to think the new three point line will hurt Yeboahs eFG% more than EOs but we will see right?

I don’t buy the Pike can now run his team they way he wants now that EO was gone. If he wanted to do make more significant changes in play style he would do it regardless if EO was gone. And the fact that he went to Canada probably implies though I won’t speak for him that even if he likes Yeboahs skill set a lot he still wanted EO.
Watch Yeboah's highlights. The new 3-point distance is going to have zero effect. He was already shooting behind it.

They appear to be similar players in a lot of respects but Eugene was the closest we had to a vocal leader on the court. It’s intangibles like this and his warrior mentality that I think the team could miss most. Until he quit on his team, I thought he exemplified the “captain” role more than any other player. Hopefully, someone is ready to step into that role. I really didn’t see a candidate for it last season although I could Mulcahy stepping up at some point in the future.
I got news for you. Eugene wasn't exactly the most popular player amongst the guys

I've posted this here before but I'll do it again. People honestly don't realize how close we were to landing Jahvon Quinerly after the whole Arizona fiasco before he committed to Nova. Jahvon's first visit after the commitment from Zona was the RU. Knight was leading the recruitment and Jahvon sat down with pike and I was told Jahvon and his high school coach were absolutely floored by pike. To the point where Rutgers went from a, "yeah why not lets visit" to all of a sudden neck and neck with Villanova, the reigning national champions. Pike laid out his ideal offense to jahvon and told him that he'd be great for the system he wants to run which is a run and gun get out and get buckets type of offense. We're going to see that this year because we don't have any ball eaters anymore. Eugene was the last one

Reactions: rubigtimenow
C'mon Hawk. You know better than that. Try getting your 3-point shot off with Cassius Winston covering you, as compared to Jarvis Nobody from U. of Maryland Baltimore County!

That's true but he "should" have more airspace at RU with other shooters on the floor with him. It's not like he's going to go from 33% to 23%...he only has to be a threat to shoot and not stop the ball like Eugene to be a better fit. Eugene wasn't ever going to be a shooter and that caps his effectiveness at this level.

Just watch any number of games and how many shots Eugene turned down at the top of the key. It had to be at least 50+ over the course of the B1G season or at least 1 or 2 per half. Defensive scouting reports were giving him and any of our bigs 5 to 7 feet, with both feet planted in the lane.

How can you create space and driving lanes if Eugene and a big are on the court and a 5th defensive player is literally parked in front of the basket??

You have to make defensive teams move their feet and it negatively impacts the entire offense if Eugene played with Myles or Shaq. The paint area becomes too congested and you don't have gifted finishers that can run and jump for lobs, because Eugene wasn't a leaper that can out jump an opponent inside.

The new 3 point line would essentially make it significantly harder for RU, without proper spacing on the floor and a non-threat from 14 to 20 feet as a shooter. Eugene relied on actually driving into a bigger defensive player in hopes that player went for pump fakes or up and unders to allow him to score.

At the end of the day, you cannot effectively be a good offensive team with 2 post players on the court for 25 to 30 minutes a game, who are only effective within 6 to 8 feet of the basket, if neither player can catch alley oops or lobs for dunks and have no mid range or perimeter shot.

Fans need to stop looking at this at an attack on Eugene, it's not a personal thing, it's about team basketball......not a 1 on 1 contest of individual post moves 10 to 15 times a game, which is what the RU offense looked like when he got the ball.

The only problem with that is Eugene left and didn't want to compete or provide himself as a viable option in your scenario at the 5....which eliminates your argument entirely.

If you want to have a debate on whether RU is more effective with Eugene playing 14 to 16 minutes at the 5 and playing behind Myles Johnson (or ahead, depending on matchups) that's a question only Eugene could answer.

But, like I said, hard to defend how valuable or good someone actually is when they leave the program vs competition for minutes. Or we can use the fallback of wanting to play a game or two in the NCAAS at Oregon, even if he's not a lock to start there anyway.

Watch Yeboah's highlights. The new 3-point distance is going to have zero effect. He was already shooting behind it.

It’ll be guarded further away as well so it should have some impact.

I've posted this here before but I'll do it again. People honestly don't realize how close we were to landing Jahvon Quinerly after the whole Arizona fiasco before he committed to Nova. Jahvon's first visit after the commitment from Zona was the RU. Knight was leading the recruitment and Jahvon sat down with pike and I was told Jahvon and his high school coach were absolutely floored by pike. To the point where Rutgers went from a, "yeah why not lets visit" to all of a sudden neck and neck with Villanova, the reigning national champions. Pike laid out his ideal offense to jahvon and told him that he'd be great for the system he wants to run which is a run and gun get out and get buckets type of offense. We're going to see that this year because we don't have any ball eaters anymore. Eugene was the last one

Talk about a bad job closing..... ;)

I got news for you. Eugene wasn't exactly the most popular player amongst the guys

I said this a few days ago and everyone knows team chemistry is very important. On the court especially.

It surprises me coach could be out of touch to allow a guy that was not exactly the most popular player amongst the team to be a captain? Not a good look.

I said this a few days ago and everyone knows team chemistry is very important. On the court especially.

It surprises me coach could be out of touch to allow a guy that was not exactly the most popular player amongst the team to be a captain? Not a good look.
Haha dude your bias against pike is way too much to take you serious on anything RU bball

Reactions: RUonBrain
And I agree with most of that - since you're basing that off of factors not related to comparative performance statistics. Comparing stats between the two isn't going to yield much valid discussion because it's almost like comparing Varsity vs. JV stats based on the huge disparity in the level of competition faced.

BUT why are we comparing. The good thing was he seemed like a more polished down low player than UO and a better shooter from the outside BUT we would of had both so of course we would of been a better deeper team. Even vs lesser competition let’s assume Y is better than UO, that doesn’t mean we are a better team without him. Depth matters . It’s not as drastic losing UO as it sounds because of Y but let’s leave it at that. “He’s talented, leave it at that”. (What movie?)

Reactions: RUChoppin
I understand the inclination to compare the two, but my guess is that Pike planned to have them both on the court at the same time for big stretches of the game, and when one needed a blow it would have been great to have the other in there bangin. So they would have been more complementary players, imo, not an either-or.

Btw, I believe if Eugene had stayed, it would have necessitated Geo running the point more, in order to have this stellar cast running the floor together: Myles-5, Gene-4, Akwasi-3, Ron-2, Geo-1. That would have been a tough matchup for any opponent, and I would have loved to see it.

With Gene gone, I see Geo at the 2 much more than he would have been. That’s at least one upside to our current roster, since he gets to play his more natural position, imo, and it opens things up for other guys to get more PT and develop at the point.

Guess your sarcasm meter isn’t working
Hes not being sarcastic. If you know his posting history, the guy doesnt like pike/think hes a good HC. His response to this post will be, “well what has he done so far? 7-13 in conference was his best year”. As recently as last year AFTER Ash went 1-11 he stated he couldnt understand why pike was lauded by our fan base and ash hated

Not everyone in the big ten is Cassius winston and not everyone in the American east is Jarvis nobody. Big schools pluck guys from small conferences all the time and this doesn't seem to matter to them.

Reactions: higgins3
Haha dude your bias against pike is way too much to take you serious on anything RU bball

Hes not being sarcastic. If you know his posting history, the guy doesnt like pike/think hes a good HC. His response to this post will be, “well what has he done so far? 7-13 in conference was his best year”. As recently as last year AFTER Ash went 1-11 he stated he couldnt understand why pike was lauded by our fan base and ash hated

I am being sarcastic lol

I’ve shown my support for Pike in nearly every single post I’ve made. He’s a great coach. Rutgers is just a tough job. I’ve never ever said otherwise.

Couldnt help but inserting some comedy and regurgitate some of the same comments that have been made by people about Ash when similar situations come up here.

As for comparisons I just like to debate. Being contrarian doesn’t automatically equate to being wrong.

Moving on..

Gibberish, gibberish, gibberish [break]

Gibberish this, gibberish that, gibberish this versus that [break]

[New thread called . . . Gibberish] . . . Gibberish, yada, yada, yada, gibberish . . .

. . . and the off season continues . . . .

making this for my friends @bac2therac and @Greene Rice FIG who apparently dont know how to look up past games and watch them. So instead we’ll show them numbers. By the way highly suggest going back and watching RU vs Stony Brook on 12/22/2017 to see what Yeboah did vs Eugene guarding one another all game. Eugene 1 point 4 boards in 29 minutes. Yeboah 21 points 6 boards in 23 minutes while in foul trouble.

Here is what the advanced numbers say,

1) Player efficiency rating: slight edge Yeboah

2) Effective field goal %: edge yeboah

3) 3 point attempt rate: HUGE edge yeboah. Aka we’ll be able to spread the floor. 47% of yeboahs shots came from 3 (and still had a better e fg % than eugene despite putting up so many 3’s) while only 14% of eugenes attempts came from 3.

4) free throw attempt rate: edge eugene. Eugene got to the line at a high clip per shot attempted which is naturally the case since majority of his shots are coming around the rim while yeboah takes a lot of 3’s. Yeboah did overall attempt one less FT per game though and was around 80% from the line whereas eugene was 70%.

5) offensive and defensive rebound %. Eugene grades out slightly better on offensive rebound % which is again naturally the case as yeboah is attempting nearly half his shots from 3 land. Whereas on the defensive end Yeboah grades out as a better defensive rebounder as on that end of the floor hes always guarding a forward ad around the rim to pull boards down

6) as far as defensive stats go yeboah averaged nearly double the blocks per game than eugene and averaged slightly more steals per game.

7) turnover %: eugene turned the ball over at a higher clip per 100 possessions than yeboah

8) usage %: was about the same with a slight edge to yeboah. This stat is used to draw out what % of plays a team runs goes through the subject player

9) offensive win share and defensive win share and overall win share: an estimate of how many wins a player contributes due to his offense, defense and overall. Edge to yeboah in every single category.

So before @bac2therac and @Greene Rice FIG say “wellllllll ya know he did this against inferior competition” heres some stats for you. In 2017-2018 in q1 and q2 games (all on the road btw) yeboah averaged 18.25ppg and 6.75 rpg. In 2018-2019 in q1 and q2 games, again all on the road, he averaged 21ppg and 6 rpg. He actually performed his best against better competition

Kovats, you can't compare apples to apples when one guy is playing against MSU/Michigan/Purdue and the other guy is playing against Holy Cross or whoever is in that conference. Yeboah is good but we can't say he is better than EO off of raw numbers

Kovats, you can't compare apples to apples when one guy is playing against MSU/Michigan/Purdue and the other guy is playing against Holy Cross or whoever is in that conference. Yeboah is good but we can't say he is better than EO off of raw numbers
you're very weird with always mentioning my name, not that I care, I think it's cute. I like when people say my name [winking].

At any rate, go watch yeboah's tape against p5 opponents. And if you really wanna get familiar with how he stacks up against players at our level on our team, go shoot the lock off your wallet and pay $14.95/month or $120/year to buy big ten plus, and go back to 12/22/2017 and watch him vs our guys.

It is a hard comparison to make with the difference in conference.

One thing is for sure, Yeboah came here to play big minutes. He was never meant to back up players. He came here to push players for minutes. He did that so much that it may have caused a player to leave. He has the potential to be a 10+ and 6 player or so. He will be very effective, and not cause problems in the locker room.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
This is what it comes down to. A person on a message board watching tapes and giving an amateur scouting report in a thread entitled advanced stats in which the amateur treats stats in the B1G and whatever league SB plays in the same. Keep mining.

you're very weird with always mentioning my name, not that I care, I think it's cute. I like when people say my name [winking].

At any rate, go watch yeboah's tape against p5 opponents. And if you really wanna get familiar with how he stacks up against players at our level on our team, go shoot the lock off your wallet and pay $14.95/month or $120/year to buy big ten plus, and go back to 12/22/2017 and watch him vs our guys.

Finally got to watch some tape. Albeit only the first 8 minutes of South Carolina. Was not very impressive. Looks very much like a nice role player. But, it’s an extremely small sample.

18:43 - Yeboah guards 6’11 264lb Mail Kotsar at the or line and gets blown by. Commits foul at the rim.

18:10 - Weakside defensive rebound

17:56 - Yeboah on perimeter called for travel

17:23 - Yeboah aggressive take baseline beats man, stymied by clogged lane ball winds up out of bounds

16:57 - Gifted a steal on bad cocks inbound giving him running head start in transition, uncontrolled lay up vs defending guard mad miss

16:42 - high post catch and shoot easy 2 points. Very fluid.

16:02 - transition 3. Money.

Now being guarded by Sophomore Haas 6’9 253lbs and Sophomore forward Minaya 6’5 215

13:20 - draws block on perimeter driving baseline

13:17 - misses inside amongst the trees wildly on quick inbounds play

12:47 - offensive rebound on loose ball, had good position, saves ball from going out of bounds

11:57 - deep 3 off the dribble. Air ball.

Somethings to like and somethings not to like. Drawing very good matchups on offense. Minaya and Haas would not play for us.

I’ll try finish the first half later in the day.

Finally got to watch some tape. Albeit only the first 8 minutes of South Carolina. Was not very impressive. Looks very much like a nice role player. But, it’s an extremely small sample.

18:43 - Yeboah guards 6’11 264lb Mail Kotsar at the or line and gets blown by. Commits foul at the rim.

17:23 - Yeboah aggressive take baseline beats man, stymied by clogged lane ball winds up out of bounds

16:57 - Gifted a steal on bad cocks inbound giving him running head start in transition, uncontrolled lay up vs defending guard mad miss

Now being guarded by Sophomore Haas 6’9 253lbs and Sophomore forward Minaya 6’5 215

12:47 - offensive rebound on loose ball, had good position, saves ball from going out of bounds

Somethings to like and somethings not to like. Drawing very good matchups on offense. Minaya and Haas would not play for us.

He had a much better 2nd half than first half this game. I agree I wasnt overly impressed watching him the first 10 mins or so as well. Second half he had like 15 points I think. Here’s what Frank Martin said about the guys Yeboah guarded all game,

“Martin said he is trying to figure out how to toughen his upperclassman big men like Silva and junior Maik Kotsar who had seven points and no rebounds.

"For Chris Silva to have two rebounds and Maik Kotsar to have zero in a game. ... we got punked, then obviously the coaching is very overrated."

Reactions: Scangg
He had a much better 2nd half than first half this game. I agree I wasnt overly impressed watching him the first 10 mins or so as well. Second half he had like 15 points I think. Here’s what Frank Martin said about the guys Yeboah guarded all game,

“Martin said he is trying to figure out how to toughen his upperclassman big men like Silva and junior Maik Kotsar who had seven points and no rebounds.

"For Chris Silva to have two rebounds and Maik Kotsar to have zero in a game. ... we got punked, then obviously the coaching is very overrated."

Good to know. I’ll try and watch the rest of the game by the weekend. Didn’t really have any time today but squeezed some in because our back and forth made me unable to hold back my curiosity.

I finished watching the entire SC vs Stony Brook game and here are my thoughts about Yeboah:
1) He is a totally different type of player than EO. EO was low post; Yeboah is more of an outside presence, but can also defend inside.
2) Yeboah likes to shoot, lol. He took about a third of his team's total shots. He had a much better shooting 2nd half and he hit some big 3 pt shots.
3) He seems verstatile and can play the 3, 4, and 5 (depending on the matchup).
4) He brought the ball up against SC's soft full court pressure.
5) He's a very good foul shooter.
6) He wasn't perfect as he had a couple of passing turnovers and missed a couple of layups.
7) Stony Brook played methodical half court offense and Yeboah stayed on the outside. Not a lot of cutting or pick and rolls in the offense. This is different from RU last year, but I assume he'll be able to adjust.

My overall assessment is that he will be on par with Geo, Ron, and Myles in terms of value to the team. He'll improve the team's shooting and is a good piece in Coach's desire to play "positionless" team ball.

2) Yeboah likes to shoot, lol. He took about a third of his team's total shots.

In that game, he took slightly more than a third of their shots (34.3%). For the season, in the games he played the full time, Yeboah put up 24% of his team's shots, with the 2nd most coming from Olaniyi with 17%. Definitely the primary scoring option for them, and I doubt he'll be shy pulling the trigger next year - though there are more options to spread the ball around to.

Comparing to us last year, Baker put up 20% and Omoruyi 19% (in full games). Yeboah will probably be closer to that 18-20% range.

In that game, he took slightly more than a third of their shots (34.3%). For the season, in the games he played the full time, Yeboah put up 24% of his team's shots, with the 2nd most coming from Olaniyi with 17%. Definitely the primary scoring option for them, and I doubt he'll be shy pulling the trigger next year - though there are more options to spread the ball around to.

Comparing to us last year, Baker put up 20% and Omoruyi 19% (in full games). Yeboah will probably be closer to that 18-20% range.
I hope more towards 18% than 20%. Would think that Geo will still be around 20%, and I'd like to see Ron up there in that range.

Remember 2 years ago when the team would play hot potato with the ball and no one except Corey and Freeman were willing to shoot? It's amazing how different the team will be 2 years later. Between Young, Yeboah, Mathis, Harper... we have some extremely aggressive players on the O end. May need two balls

Reactions: YoucancallmeRay
I hope more towards 18% than 20%. Would think that Geo will still be around 20%, and I'd like to see Ron up there in that range.

Remember 2 years ago when the team would play hot potato with the ball and no one except Corey and Freeman were willing to shoot? It's amazing how different the team will be 2 years later. Between Young, Yeboah, Mathis, Harper... we have some extremely aggressive players on the O end. May need two balls

Yeah, in 2017-18 Sanders took 25%... which gives some idea of how often Yeboah had the ball in his hands last year for SB. Freeman and Baker each took 17%.

I finished watching the entire SC vs Stony Brook game and here are my thoughts about Yeboah:
1) He is a totally different type of player than EO. EO was low post; Yeboah is more of an outside presence, but can also defend inside.
2) Yeboah likes to shoot, lol. He took about a third of his team's total shots. He had a much better shooting 2nd half and he hit some big 3 pt shots.
3) He seems verstatile and can play the 3, 4, and 5 (depending on the matchup).
4) He brought the ball up against SC's soft full court pressure.
5) He's a very good foul shooter.
6) He wasn't perfect as he had a couple of passing turnovers and missed a couple of layups.
7) Stony Brook played methodical half court offense and Yeboah stayed on the outside. Not a lot of cutting or pick and rolls in the offense. This is different from RU last year, but I assume he'll be able to adjust.

My overall assessment is that he will be on par with Geo, Ron, and Myles in terms of value to the team. He'll improve the team's shooting and is a good piece in Coach's desire to play "positionless" team ball.

I don’t think we’re gonna play position less ball so much as 4 out 1 in. Which also suits his game. I don’t think he can guard the 5 at all after watching limited tape (I know, I’ll watch more) and honestly don’t see him guarding all 3 men either. A guy like Harper, yeah. But a lot of 3s now are guys like Mathis. Don’t see him be up to that defensively (not that EO could either)

I think he’ll replace what Eugene gave us on offense but in a different way. But a slight down grade on defense.

Myles Johnson’s development is going to be very important for this team imo

Last edited:
Reactions: dkostus
Shhh... Don't say that in front of the EO is addition by subtraction faction. Your position is way too logical.
Who knows, if the talk of him not getting along with team mates, not being well liked, that point could be valid. I just don't like to take that into consideration when figuring which way we'd be a better team
The only problem with that is Eugene left and didn't want to compete or provide himself as a viable option in your scenario at the 5....which eliminates your argument entirely.

If you want to have a debate on whether RU is more effective with Eugene playing 14 to 16 minutes at the 5 and playing behind Myles Johnson (or ahead, depending on matchups) that's a question only Eugene could answer.

But, like I said, hard to defend how valuable or good someone actually is when they leave the program vs competition for minutes. Or we can use the fallback of wanting to play a game or two in the NCAAS at Oregon, even if he's not a lock to start there anyway.
I agree, it's a pointless argument in that EO is gone and doesn't matter, my only point is against when people say it's not a loss for this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT