ADVERTISEMENT

You’re Greg Schiano. Apart from salary, what are your demands?

A new competent administration that would not bring back a coach for 4 games to save a few million and set a program deeper in a hole.

in all honesty what leverage does he have? He not a hot commodity. Most AD would not even interview him for a head job after the UT disaster. He has a sub .500 record as a head coach. His best year was 13 years ago and the game has changed a lot since then. He is better known today as the control freak tyrant as NFL coach to current recruits. On top of that he still has the Sandusky baggage.
He's like General Patton.

Stubborn, demanding, and at times completely obtuse.

But he's also competent, charismatic, and relentless.

He's flawed, but his strengths are considerable.

Putting myself in Greg's shoes, I would demand the following:

1. The Emperors package at Caesars Palace.
2. Disclosure of who really killed Kennedy.
3. Exemption from paying Federal and State taxes for life.

If these demands are not met in 24 hours...

I am sure Greg wants an Axe, 65 degree meeting rooms, small dugout for media during practice and extra long snow shovels. About 105 of them

So, are his weaknesses!
And for his troubles, Patton sat out the greatest amphibious invasion in the history of mankind.

That had to be a humbling experience.

As for the Gregster, he failed spectacularly at the NFL level.
Then he had to accept a demotion to co-DC at the collegiate level.
And then there's that thing that happened at Tennessee...

Let's hope Schiano has been working on his flaws.

If he is eventually hired, who he names OC will tell us a lot about Greg's personal development.

Putting myself in Greg's shoes, I would demand the following:

1. The Emperors package at Caesars Palace.
2. Disclosure of who really killed Kennedy.
3. Exemption from paying Federal and State taxes for life.

If these demands are not met in 24 hours...
Armageddon if you do get what you want.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Would love for Schiano, whether at Rutgers or somewhere else to play a game at Tennessee and beat them and look right in the camera and say “How do you like me now, Clay Travis .”

Reactions: ScarletNut
He has only one life to live.

You really think it's fair to ask him to say no to the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to pursue his dream job?

What is the one thing in this world you want to do before you die?

What would it take for you to give that up?

Really think about this.
I don't want Schiano back. But it has nothing to do with his leaving for the NFL.

I have no problem that GS left for the NFL. I would've had no problem if he left for another NCAA football program either. It's a job. Career advancement. Of course he left. Why wouldn't he leave? It's not like we wouldn't have eventually fired him for non-performance if he strung together a few badly losing seasons back then.

Fans are fanatics who are fiercely loyal to their chosen teams. And they often wrongly project their high emotions, fierce loyalty and deep attachment onto the coaches of those teams.

Not to be Captain Obvious, but coaches are not fans. They're pros paid to do a job. Everything else is coach-speak and fluff. Any attachment that might form is transient and will be reapplied to the next job just like any of us would do in our careers.

Thankfully, Hobbs is also doing a job and is therefore not making decisions based on overly romanticized notions about any coaches.

Schiano should feel lucky that a Div. I College football program has any interest in him! Therefore, money should not lead his list. But, his arrogance won't let him see that important fact. And, I can say the same for many on here.....
I agree that he should feel lucky to get a Div 1 HC offer at this point. But, because I don't know him personally, I really have no idea how arrogant he is.

Demand 1: That I am never judged by my performances against spread teams.

Demand 2: That the athletic department talks about the International Bowl with the same prestige as the Rose Bowl.

Demand 3: An out of conference schedule that only includes bottom feeders.

Demand 4: That Penn State, Michigan and Ohio St leave the conference to join a bigger one and I only have to face the watered down teams.

Schiano should feel lucky that a Div. I College football program has any interest in him! Therefore, money should not lead his list. But, his arrogance won't let him see that important fact. And, I can say the same for many on here.....

I guess when you negotiated for your last job you decided not to ask for market rate because hey you’re just lucky someone wants to give you a job.

Come on. We get it — folks don’t want Schiano back. That’s fine. But, if he is selected (and I don’t think he will be), he absolutely should be paid market rate.

This will be his last ride. At his age working here for say 4 to 6 years already puts him at the end of the trail. When you add in his bagage, this ends up being his last jig. He could make this one of those long term deals if he is successful.

I guess when you negotiated for your last job you decided not to ask for market rate because hey you’re just lucky someone wants to give you a job.

Come on. We get it — folks don’t want Schiano back. That’s fine. But, if he is selected (and I don’t think he will be), he absolutely should be paid market rate.
The difference was/is, I am a success, make more money then I lose, and generally speaking the people I work with, like me....

Well, you've seen the other salaries. What has Schiano done that elevates him above the coaches who make 2.5 million per year? That IS his fair market value among Big Ten head coaches. It might even be slightly generous.

Coaching in the NFL doesn't increase your value if you fail miserably. You're lucky if it doesn't lower your value. And since then, he has not had any head coaching experience anywhere to rehabilitate his head-coaching image after Tampa Bay.

People can make all the excuses, give all the reasons for why he failed at Tampa Bay. But not too many employers are going to throw money at people with tons of excuses for failure.

Would be totally different if he left, had even moderate success in Tampa Bay, got fired after 4 or 5 years, and got hired quickly by some P5 program and had a winning record there. But that didn't happen.

1) the Axe and stump back

2) that “WEAR RED TO THR GAME” is not just on tickets BUT everywhere

3) obviously stripper polls in the end zone

Reactions: RUHouston
I was just at Subway talking w/Greg and he says to be sure to list: (a) free hookers and (b) free blow for all fans who make it into the stadium before kickoff.

It’s amazing that people complain that RU is always cheap yet when it comes to hiring a coach they don’t want to pay the going rate. A HC in the B1G should make at least $3.5mm and probably more. Whether you like Schiano or not, if he’s the choice he’s getting paid market rate, and he should. In fact, any HC we hire should make that money.

Which proves that Greg Schiano is not a Big Ten coach. If he COULD make $3.5 million, he would be making $3.5 million, not sitting around the house in his boxers sending texts to FootballScoop.com.

Reactions: mildone
Which proves that Greg Schiano is not a Big Ten coach. If he COULD make $3.5 million, he would be making $3.5 million, not sitting around the house in his boxers sending texts to FootballScoop.com.

While I don’t understand your logic I’m not questioning it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

It’s amazing that people complain that RU is always cheap yet when it comes to hiring a coach they don’t want to pay the going rate. A HC in the B1G should make at least $3.5mm and probably more. Whether you like Schiano or not, if he’s the choice he’s getting paid market rate, and he should. In fact, any HC we hire should make that money.
Sounds like someone else wants to cut another six teams as well.

A Honda Accord. But this time with all the tricked out amenities.

Well, you've seen the other salaries. What has Schiano done that elevates him above the coaches who make 2.5 million per year? That IS his fair market value among Big Ten head coaches. It might even be slightly generous.

Coaching in the NFL doesn't increase your value if you fail miserably. You're lucky if it doesn't lower your value. And since then, he has not had any head coaching experience anywhere to rehabilitate his head-coaching image after Tampa Bay.

People can make all the excuses, give all the reasons for why he failed at Tampa Bay. But not too many employers are going to throw money at people with tons of excuses for failure.

Would be totally different if he left, had even moderate success in Tampa Bay, got fired after 4 or 5 years, and got hired quickly by some P5 program and had a winning record there. But that didn't happen.
One of those faults might not be as bad as it looks.
Until the present Tampa HC was hired before this NFL season began , Every HC the Bucs hired after firing Schiano had worse records

But you do make good points about the rest.
In my opinion Greg sat home collecting Tampa's money because he couldn't get a HC position
that he thought was worth taking

When he did get an offer he already was back to work and not as a HC,but the Buckeye's DC and that offer turned into fools gold because he was dumped because he worked at Penn State under Paterno
Went back to OSU and was terminated after the season was over by the new HC because the OSU D wasn't up to par and that should be put on the DC anytime that happens.
Another person paid the price as well .
OSU's Co:DC Alex Grinch wasn't retained as well, he had come over from Washington State with the reputation of being a great defensive mind when he was DC there.
Now he's Oklahoma's DC and the Sooners defense is supposedly improving a lot with him in charge

But , in any case, OSU's D is looking great so Day made the right move in bringing in his own man and tied for 12th in total D this year after being 9 then 15 under Schiano & #71 last season with Grinch co-DC.

Until the present Tampa HC was hired before this NFL season began , Every HC the Bucs hired after firing Schiano had worse records

In my opinion Greg sat home collecting Tampa's money because he couldn't get a HC position

When he did get an offer he already was back to work and not as a HC,but the Buckeye's DC and that offer turned into fools gold because he was dumped because he worked at Penn State under Paterno
Went back to OSU and was terminated after the season was over by the new HC because the OSU D wasn't up to par and that should be put on the DC anytime that happens.
OSU's Co:DC Alex Grinch wasn't retained as well, he had come over from Washington State with the reputation of being a great defensive mind when he was DC there.
Now he's Oklahoma's DC and the Sooners defense is supposedly improving a lot with him in charge

But , in any case, OSU's D is looking great so Day made the right move in bringing in his own man and tied for 12th in total D this year after being 9 then 15 under Schiano & #71 last season with Grinch co-DC.
On the theory that no AD should be be paying any coach based on fan-base nostalgia and emotional attachment, I would hope that GS, if he's even interested, would be among the least expensive of the candidates Hobbs looks at.

Would be fun to be a fly on the wall in the AD's office.

On the theory that no AD should be be paying any coach based on fan-base nostalgia and emotional attachment, I would hope that GS, if he's even interested, would be among the least expensive of the candidates Hobbs looks at.

Would be fun to be a fly on the wall in the AD's office.
He should be one of the reasonable priced because he's not a top tier candidate, except in the hearts of some Rutgers fans.
Greg is just as much as a gamble , maybe more then G-5 HCs like Jason Candle of Toledo and Eastern Michigan's Chris Creighton.
Now that Buffalo has come back to earth I'll add
Lance Leipold .

The better G-5 candidates like Monken and Norvell probably will be out of Rutgers price range.

Butch Jones is someone that might be willing to work for a little less since Tenn still owes him $3.5 MIL in buyout payments through Feb. 28, 2021. But would earn 2.5 mil in 2020.
So if he is the choice Rutgers might be paying him 2 to start and he's still have $500k coming from Tenn . Rutgers could raise it to $2.75 mil in 2021 and Butch would be getting descent dollars but still be a penny-wise hire .

As much as I would like to say Schiano is the best choice, Bill Clark from UAB is the one I feel would be best to rebuild the program and be a good gameday coach if keps Nuizo on staff and hires another assistant that can get Jersey HS coaches feeling Rutgers is going to improve .

Schiano to Hobbs:
I want RU's three OOC games to be Norfolk State, Bucknell and Morgan State.
I want you to demand... B1G approval for RU to play Illinois 3X each season as our three West Division crossover games.

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge

Grinch was co-DC at OSU but he wasn't calling the plays or running the show. He is at OU and their defense while not stellar is most definitely improved from the swiss cheese of last year and prior. I don't expect a big jump this year and you want to see how they fare against the better teams in the B12 but even still definitely much better than last year where they were porous against everyone.

He should be one of the reasonable priced because he's not a top tier candidate, except in the hearts of some Rutgers fans.
Greg is just as much as a gamble , maybe more then G-5 HCs like Jason Candle of Toledo and Eastern Michigan's Chris Creighton.
Now that Buffalo has come back to earth I'll add
Lance Leipold .

The better G-5 candidates like Monken and Norvell probably will be out of Rutgers price range.

Butch Jones is someone that might be willing to work for a little less since Tenn still owes him $3.5 MIL in buyout payments through Feb. 28, 2021. But would earn 2.5 mil in 2020.
So if he is the choice Rutgers might be paying him 2 to start and he's still have $500k coming from Tenn . Rutgers could raise it to $2.75 mil in 2021 and Butch would be getting descent dollars but still be a penny-wise hire .

As much as I would like to say Schiano is the best choice, Bill Clark from UAB is the one I feel would be best to rebuild the program and be a good gameday coach if keps Nuizo on staff and hires another assistant that can get Jersey HS coaches feeling Rutgers is going to improve .
I'd never heard of Bill Clark. Not surprising as I'm no student of college football history or whatever. Anyway, I looked him up and he does look interesting. Certainly turned UAB around quickly.

Big jump from UAB to RU though. And I don't feel he has enough of a resume to have any credibility with the level of recruits we need.

I'd be more interested if he had some P5 experience and continued his winning ways. Of course, that would also make him a lot more expensive.

I want to see just how true Hobb's statement about not being constrained financially turn out to be.

So Day becomes HC and Schiano and Grinch aren’t retained. One goes on to be the DC at a top 5 college program while the other is offered the DC position at the best NFL program. Sure doesn’t seem like with Schiano or Grinch we’re looked at as “failures” since they were both offered excellent jobs post-OSU.

I get this is just message board stuff but why does anyone care what we pay the next coach? If the money is there and we’re willing to pay it, the only issue should be picking the right coach. Once again, if we hire Schiano, the Buffalo dud, Jones, or anyone else, they should be — and likely will be — paid market rate for a B1G HC.

Reactions: MADHAT1 and ru1869
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT