ADVERTISEMENT

Your ideal realistic grad transfer

Souf can go to a D-2, a D-3 or NAIA and be eligible immediately. D-3 however does not give athletic scholarships. In NJ I think Caldwell, Bloomfield & maybe Felician are all D-2. There are many more all over the country. Maybe Coach can help him land at one of them.Otherwise he will be at the edge of the bench. I could see Bullock at FDU, Monmouth or St. Peter's.

I don't think Souf's spot is an issue....We are already working on 2019 recruiting as it is anyway and that spot will be replaced with a 2019 recruit that verbals this spring/summer or fall.

The potential spot for Sanders is the same thing as Souf for 2019.....and the same spot for Shaq Doorson, assuming he plays his last season at RU, he is the 3rd 2019 scholarship we have to account for.

The key is whether we have an opportunity to find a Top 8 rotational player for any of these 4 spots (Sanders, Doorson, Mensah if they were to leave) and the 4th would be Bullock in 2018......OR is it better to RU to use a potential 2019 recruiting option, for a late signee 4 year player for 2018....that's a very grey area on whether that player in 2018, can be a bigger contributor than the 2019 player/recruit.

I will use a hypothetical example of Paul Mulcahy....he projects as a PG/SF/hybrid player that will be in the backcourt....ideally he takes one of the 2 spots vacated by Mensah or Sanders after the 2018-19 season....

The other question is whether a grad transfer is viable IF you free up a spot for one of the players that can play here in 2018-19....where that doesn't impact 2019 recruiting.

Reactions: RUChoppin
This thread is about grad transfers so my issue below isn't really related....

I am concerned the makeup of our roster is too SG/SF heavy. Right now we have 5 guys that we envision being impact guys for 2 spots.

Issa '20 Baker '21 Kiss '21 Mathis '22 Harper '22.

Our 5 bigs Johnson '22 Duke '21 Carter'20 Gene '20 Shaq '20. Outside of Shaq they are all 4s (who can't shoot from the perimeter)

NO point guards and NO project 5s.

Is Baker a guy you can see as a PG? Handle needs to improve. Needs to be able to penetrate to the paint and not always stop 15 feet from the hoop.

As far as Mulcahy...huge risk. Like RU#s snowstorms when he mentions a tight gradient. Is he a PG? Can he shoot? I guess I'd need to see him play AAU to judge. If he isn't a PG he becomes the 6th guy thrown in the mix. You only get 13 scholarships.

Wouldn't shock me for Pikiell to have a heart to heart with the wing that he has given a shot this year and tell him massive improvement is necessary to be in a future rotation. I'd think he'd have many takers at lower D1 conferences.

This thread is about grad transfers so my issue below isn't really related....

I am concerned the makeup of our roster is too SG/SF heavy. Right now we have 5 guys that we envision being impact guys for 2 spots.

Issa '20 Baker '21 Kiss '21 Mathis '22 Harper '22.

Our 5 bigs Johnson '22 Duke '21 Carter'20 Gene '20 Shaq '20. Outside of Shaq they are all 4s (who can't shoot from the perimeter)

NO point guards and NO project 5s.

Is Baker a guy you can see as a PG? Handle needs to improve. Needs to be able to penetrate to the paint and not always stop 15 feet from the hoop.

As far as Mulcahy...huge risk. Like RU#s snowstorms when he mentions a tight gradient. Is he a PG? Can he shoot? I guess I'd need to see him play AAU to judge. If he isn't a PG he becomes the 6th guy thrown in the mix. You only get 13 scholarships.

Wouldn't shock me for Pikiell to have a heart to heart with the wing that he has given a shot this year and tell him massive improvement is necessary to be in a future rotation. I'd think he'd have many takers at lower D1 conferences.

Interesting perspective.

I can see Baker at PG - thought he did a good job as a freshman, and he should improve as he gains more experience. His A/TO ratio was solid at 1.67 (vs. Sanders at 1.41), and is a stat that should improve.

I also see Johnson as something of a project center, listed on sk.com at 6-10, 264.

I am not sold on Geo as a point guard. Against soft pressure sure he is fine, but against an in your face pressure defense he struggled. We need a true point guard, not a combo guard in that role.

Geo is not quick enough to get inside against B1G defenses. Settles for too many step-backs, an unfortunate habit he seems to have picked up from Sanders.

Interesting perspective.

I can see Baker at PG - thought he did a good job as a freshman, and he should improve as he gains more experience. His A/TO ratio was solid at 1.67 (vs. Sanders at 1.41), and is a stat that should improve.

I also see Johnson as something of a project center, listed on sk.com at 6-10, 264.

Definitely another thread.....

I actually think that our lack of turnovers isn't all good. How often are balls getting stolen trying to pass to a cutter (how often are we making hard cuts looking for the ball AND what does that say about our personnel). How often are we getting the ball inside and then having that player pass it out?

Sanders A/TO of 1.41 is much more impressive than Baker's 1.67.

Issa and Eugene need the ball in their hands more because they are willing passers. Eugene especially will try to make that pass that could lead to a TO, but also could lead to a very good scoring chance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT