ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Martini - Highlights with advanced stats

So he obviously isn't going to create off the dribble, but he is a perfect spot-up shooter, and has a quick release so won't matter with the step-up in competition. He's also pretty skilled at the rim.

I would take this kid in a heartbeat and give him the opportunity to compete for a starting spot. But, regardless of starting or not, he's a 20-28 mpg player on a team that craves experience and shooting acumen.

Thanks for sharing, Scangg.

Would be a great addition. A big that can shoot will open up the middle for both Ace and Dylan.

Would be a good reserve forward, and an upgrade from the offense Oskar gave us. My only concern is that he compiled nearly all of his stats against pretty poor competition and he's got a relatively slow release. We also don't have the sort of perimeter passing/ball movement that Princeton has, so he might not be seeing the same amount of open looks.

Per bart, he's only had 2 career games against Top 50 opponents (Arizona and Creighton in the tournament last year), and his numbers weren't good in that extremely limited sample. He was 1-5 from 3P vs. Arizona, and only got one 3PA off (0-1) in 19 min vs. Creighton.

Would be a good reserve forward, and an upgrade from the offense Oskar gave us. My only concern is that he compiled nearly all of his stats against pretty poor competition and he's got a relatively slow release. We also don't have the sort of perimeter passing/ball movement that Princeton has, so he might not be seeing the same amount of open looks.

Per bart, he's only had 2 career games against Top 50 opponents (Arizona and Creighton in the tournament last year), and his numbers weren't good in that extremely limited sample. He was 1-5 from 3P vs. Arizona, and only got one 3PA off (0-1) in 19 min vs. Creighton.
Agree with everything but the release. I saw the opposite in those highlights. Quick with the catch and shoot

Reactions: Degaz-RU
Agree with everything but the release. I saw the opposite in those highlights. Quick with the catch and shoot

The highlights in that reel seemed a bit deliberate, like he takes a beat to set/gather and then fires. Most of those highlights were when he had a good amount of space, though, so he might be quicker when there's less of a cushion (or he might not pull the trigger with less of a cushion?)

He's taken 78.7% of his career FG attempts from the arc, and all of those were assisted. He's only taken 27 total FTs over 63 games.

I've already stated the concerns on Martini, but the only variable is truly not knowing if his role was limited in his Princeton offense because better players were around him OR if it was limited because the advanced stats kinda force the coaches into thinking only 3s is the best option.

I'm certain he can probably take someone off the dribble if the defense isn't expecting Martini to do so. Maybe he can catch, then drive and playmake or find another open player, which is really the only way I can see this working over a 33 to 35+ game season.

If he can drive from the 3 point line (where there may not be a true center on the floor) and take a bigger defender, and drawing fouls, then he can get to the FT line and take advantage of his FT ability.

I am not as much worried about the defense, it's not going to be great, but if RU runs more (they will), then we can trade possessions and hopefully even things out.

What absolutely will not work, is what we tried to do with Fernandes this past season, which is slowing the game down and then asking Fernandes to play 25 to 30 seconds of defense in a half court setting AND then not running up tempo on offense, where defenders can locate Fernandes and prevent him from shooting with hedges on screens and just bigger guards.

It is a low risk, low NIL cost, high reward option for RU and Pike.....let's focus on using the NIL money for the true center or big man and guard we need, while we can save money on bringing in Martini.

I'm certain he can probably take someone off the dribble if the defense isn't expecting Martini to do so. Maybe he can catch, then drive and playmake or find another open player, which is really the only way I can see this working over a 33 to 35+ game season.

If he can drive from the 3 point line (where there may not be a true center on the floor) and take a bigger defender, and drawing fouls, then he can get to the FT line and take advantage of his FT ability.
Not saying he can't do those things, it's just that he hasn't been that type of player to date. It's probably unrealistic to expect him to become that player now.

Last edited:
I've already stated the concerns on Martini, but the only variable is truly not knowing if his role was limited in his Princeton offense because better players were around him OR if it was limited because the advanced stats kinda force the coaches into thinking only 3s is the best option.

I am not as much worried about the defense, it's not going to be great, but if RU runs more (they will), then we can trade possessions and hopefully even things out.

What absolutely will not work, is what we tried to do with Fernandes this past season, which is slowing the game down and then asking Fernandes to play 25 to 30 seconds of defense in a half court setting AND then not running up tempo on offense, where defenders can locate Fernandes and prevent him from shooting with hedges on screens and just bigger guards.

It is a low risk, low NIL cost, high reward option for RU and Pike.....let's focus on using the NIL money for the true center or big man and guard we need, while we can save money on bringing in Martini.

Would Martini be closing games with "Center", Harper, Ace and JWill?
When close games slow down and defense tightens.

If so, then it might be more than low risk.

Unless we'd be going 3 guards to close and Ace/Center is the front court.
Or would Martini be the center?

Ok, watching the video, at least his shot is consistent. That's a plus. The entire highlight he doesn't move more than a foot off ball before the ball arrives to him wide open, as if he was the guy teams thought they could slack off of.
He's thicker and more plodding than I remembered. Doesn't rebound well, or dribble very well. He's a back up 4-5 for us, Id hope. Obviously a smart kid, so hopefully a smart player. Always need those.

Kind of rude to show the play of him outworking Clif for a rebound and put back layup - twice........

Reactions: Scangg
Altho by all accounts I'm a horrible Penn Stater who loves PSU sports...which is the farthest thing from the truth. Rutgers class of 1981. Kinda tired of all the hits I take when I don't say everything in great with RU BB. But, wutev. I have thick skin. Comes with being gay I guess.

Reactions: DRC79
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT