ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Martini spotted at RU Football Practice per NJ.Com

LeapinLou

Heisman Winner
Jul 25, 2001
Nice tidbit by NJ.Com for their subscribers which I'll share here:

As most of you here know, RU is recruiting Princeton Basketball Grad Transfer Zach Martini. Zach requested a chance to meet Greg Schiano. The staffs from the two programs made it happen, as Zach attended football practice today.

My conclusion is that recruiting for Zach is going well. It would be nice if RU could close on him soon and improve our chances with his teammate Matt Alloco, who is receiving significant interest from several P6 schools.

Why do people keep saying "we need scorers" when 2 of the top offensive players in the country, plus Acuff, are coming in?

What we need is some dudes to pull down rebounds, get the ball into the the hands of Ace and Harper and play some defense.
You are right that we need players who will defend and rebound. However, do need shooters which is different from scorers so that we can spread the floor so that Ace and Dylan have room to drive. We also need shooters to make other teams pay if they double Ace or Dylan.

Reactions: NickRU714
You are right that we need players who will defend and rebound. However, do need shooters which is different from scorers so that we can spread the floor so that Ace and Dylan have room to drive. We also need shooters to make other teams pay if they double Ace or Dylan.

Exactly.
Without outside threats to pull and keep defenders away from Ace/Dylan, defenses can double team them and/or pack the paint.

Help side defenders can lag off their man.
And if the ball gets reversed for an open 3 - that's a win for the defense.

We need that reversal to be to a player who will hit that shot frequently.

Spot on comments.Team success will depend on role players that can complement Bailey and Harper on both ends of the court.Rebounding is vitally important and highly successful teams have more than two scoring /shooting threats on the court at all times.

It doesn’t look like allocco is coming. I’m surprised by the negative comments on martini. Seems like a good fit for the 6th/7th man. If he’s a slightly better version of 22-23 Hyatt, I will be happy.

Different types of players entirely. Hyatt is a way better rebounder. I also think Martini’s shooting ability is being exaggerated. He had a good season shooting the ball from long range, but on paper it seems like that’s all he’s ever done (and really only at an impactful level this year). In his first 2 seasons he made a total of 27 3s combined. The kid has attempted under 70 twos over 3 years. That means he has practically zero post presence. He’s also only attempted 31 FTs, so he rarely draws fouls.

Reactions: RutgersClassof2004
Exactly.
Without outside threats to pull and keep defenders away from Ace/Dylan, defenses can double team them and/or pack the paint.

Help side defenders can lag off their man.
And if the ball gets reversed for an open 3 - that's a win for the defense.

We need that reversal to be to a player who will hit that shot frequently.

Has anyone evaluated Ace/Dylan ability to shoot the 3 or are you assuming that they will be weak from that aspect and can only dribble/drive? Also, if both Ace & Dylan are on the floor at the same time, is the assumption that the defense will double both of them at the same time? That would leave 2 other guys open.

Has anyone evaluated Ace/Dylan ability to shoot the 3 or are you assuming that they will be weak from that aspect and can only dribble/drive? Also, if both Ace & Dylan are on the floor at the same time, is the assumption that the defense will double both of them at the same time? That would leave 2 other guys open.

Ace/Dylan 3pt shooting is immaterial.
They could shoot 100%.
Defense will still be in top of them likely.
Same as they could be 100% at the rim.
Defense will be on top of them.

It’s not about “Rutgers improving as a 3pt team”.
It’s about pulling guys away from them - wherever they are on the court.

So they have space to play.

And if those other 2 guys can’t shoot?
That’s a win for the defense.
Suppose those other 2 guys were Davis and Simpson last season? (Extreme example)
Not exactly the people we want taking open shots.

I think Martini would be important because coach will have a pretty good idea of what we will get from him: solid, experienced, what we can and can't expect of him athletically, offensively, defensively, rebounding and shooting. We know very little of this with LS and there is hope of an improved EO but my guess is that the improvement will be slight, i.e., not enough.

I think Martini would be important because coach will have a pretty good idea of what we will get from him: solid, experienced, what we can and can't expect of him athletically, offensively, defensively, rebounding and shooting. We know very little of this with LS and there is hope of an improved EO but my guess is that the improvement will be slight, i.e., not enough.
I worry about Martini being a one hit wonder of sorts. His only real strength is shooting the 3. Hardly takes any other shots. And that established strength is basically built on one good season.

They could shoot 100%.

Suppose those other 2 guys were Davis and Simpson last season? (Extreme example)
What Rutgers needs to complete the ideal transfer player is another Yeboah. Someone who can shoot from 3, drive to the basketball, and play solid defense (man-to-man & rebounding).

It doesn’t look like allocco is coming. I’m surprised by the negative comments on martini. Seems like a good fit for the 6th/7th man. If he’s a slightly better version of 22-23 Hyatt, I will be happy.
NJ.Com is saying Allocco is down to Nova, ND, Ohio State, or Butler. He's from Ohio right? So ND, OSU, and Butler can't be too far from his hometown. Not sure how 'Nova is the 4th team in the picture. Maybe a big NIL offer?

They could shoot 100%.

Except you are not accounting for the fact that they will be on the floor together. If you have 2 gifted offensive players on the floor at the same time who can both attack the rim efficiently as well as both be efficient from 3, the defense will not be able to double or sag to account for both of them at the same time. If the defense needs to converge to account for Dylan at the hoop, who's to say he can't kick out to an open Ace? Also let's say Acuff is on the floor with Dylan and Ace. He appears to be proficient at finishing at the rim as well - so is the Defense just going to give him the ole` and let him attack the rim at will while they focus solely on Dylan and Ace? Having both of these guys is going to create matchup issues for the defense regardless.

Of course everyone wants another lights out shooter or superstar 2 way player. But if that was not available, what does the team really need? IMO the priority should be rebounding and rim protection at this point. I'll gladly take a 4 or 5 who can rebound/rim protect and shoots just good enough from beyond the arc (~30%) to keep defenses honest......vs. another wing who shoots 40% from 3 but is not a strong rebounder.

NJ.Com is saying Allocco is down to Nova, ND, Ohio State, or Butler. He's from Ohio right? So ND, OSU, and Butler can't be too far from his hometown. Not sure how 'Nova is the 4th team in the picture. Maybe a big NIL offer?

We can certainly give him minutes

What Rutgers needs to complete the ideal transfer player is another Yeboah. Someone who can shoot from 3, drive to the basketball, and play solid defense (man-to-man & rebounding).
Yup and he was a Pike guy-- some fans forget to give credit to our coach.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Have a feeling you are wrong about Martini.
We’ ll see… think he’s a take and experienced player but I expected a quicker decision based upon his Schiano request. Greg should have closed the deal for Pikiell.

We’ ll see… think he’s a take and experienced player but I expected a quicker decision based upon his Schiano request. Greg should have closed the deal for Pikiell.
I agree it's probably not a good sign that he hasn't already decided. While I'd like to get him, we can't be too patient. We have to fill these 3 slots sooner than later so that Pike can start preparing for the season.

We are going into a dead period Monday April 7th. Hope to see some positive news before Friday.

Different types of players entirely. Hyatt is a way better rebounder. I also think Martini’s shooting ability is being exaggerated. He had a good season shooting the ball from long range, but on paper it seems like that’s all he’s ever done (and really only at an impactful level this year). In his first 2 seasons he made a total of 27 3s combined. The kid has attempted under 70 twos over 3 years. That means he has practically zero post presence. He’s also only attempted 31 FTs, so he rarely draws fouls.
I was thinking value to the team, not necessarily style of play. I thought Hyatt was a respectable 6th/7th man. Things went awry when he had to play starter minutes. I’m hoping for the same from martini, and I applaud the fact that he accepts that role as a super senior.

Exactly right.

Someone please explain the rationale behind wanting Martini? He can't stay in front of guys, horrific closing out on shooters. Doesn't rebound. Doesnt offer anything besides spot up shooting. What happens when he's not shooting well - but is still getting lit up on defense? I don't understand why target such a limited, one dimensional player

We could have easily gotten someone like Sean Moore. A multi dimensional player, showed up huge against Purdue in the tourney. 7 rebounds a game, does defend.

Committed to UNCW - and probably cost less than Martini

Someone please explain the rationale behind wanting Martini? He can't stay in front of guys, horrific closing out on shooters. Doesn't rebound. Doesnt offer anything besides spot up shooting. What happens when he's not shooting well - but is getting lit up on defense? I don't understand why target such a limited, one dimensional player

We could have easily gotten someone like Sean Moore. A multi dimensional player, showed up huge against Purdue in the tourney. 7 rebounds a game, does defend.

Committed to UNCW - and probably cost less than Martini

It's concerning, to say the least.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT