ADVERTISEMENT

7 thoughts from today

He’s a better defender and rebounder than Gavin, actually.
It’s close but I will disagree. Also, Oskar has had four years under the best defensive coach in NCAA to improve. I am guessing that with Mag being back, Oskar’s minutes will decrease a lot but he is such a liability on the floor.

@RUsojo you are the king of stats and data analytics. Is there a stat that determines how many points a player’s man scores on that particular player?

I had hopes for Oskar when he arrived but he is just a placeholder while starters get a breather. Guess he’s the captain of the subs.

It’s close but I will disagree. Also, Oskar has had four years under the best defensive coach in NCAA to improve. I am guessing that with Mag being back, Oskar’s minutes will decrease a lot but he is such a liability on the floor.

@RUsojo you are the king of stats and data analytics. Is there a stat that determines how many points a player’s man scores on that particular player?
comparing them now, not how Gavin may play in the future.

I don't want to oversimplify basketball but essentially, the more ways a team can win a game, the better the team is.

A) Can RU win while shooting poorly from 3.....?? I think the answer is yes, because it can get deflections, steals and layups.

B) Can RU win if they shoot poorly from the FT line?? Yes....they'll improve from the line. Simpson and Fernandes are very solid. I think the others pick up the pace.

C) what happens if RU plays good defense AND makes 3s......and then improve on the FT shooting?

If you shoot 4-20 from 3 and 13-26 from the line and win by 20+, there's a lot to be encouraged about.
No A and B in B1G play. That won’t fly. Might work against cupcakes who are 1-8

No A and B in B1G play. That won’t fly. Might work against cupcakes who are 1-8

This roster is better than last year's roster. If you miss 3s and still win, that means you're doing something right. Has nothing to do with cupcakes, LIU shot 3s like a quality team would have. They just lacked the size inside to deal with Cliff.

I don't know how else to explain it, but RU actually played better today than they did vs Seton Hall. They just made more 3s last Saturday night vs today. If they shoot 30% from 3 today, it's a 30+ point game.

Seems to me one thought from today’s game has to include Cliff’s performance.
25 points (career high) on 10 of 12 shooting, 11 rebounds and 3 blocks. His second dominant game in a row.
Also, Mag is so important to this team, but Cliff is unquestionably the team’s MVP.

Reactions: PaKnight
Here's my thought. Hyatt has upped his game this year. Not as out of control as he has been. Been a willing passer and rebounding numbers are coming along. Is streaky from 3 but is at 35 percent right now. Could definitely be closer to 40 by the end of the year.
I like Hyatt and he has improved but he needs to show more consistency especially against better competition. He struggled against IL and SHU. Shooting well against a 1-9 LIU team doesn’t mean much.

Hyatt is shooting 35% on threes. Streaky, but capable of hitting big ones at any time. With him and Mag starting he can also drive and score when the matchup and opportunity presents itself.
Only thing that matters is consistency and ability to hit the shots when they matter. Period. I hope that is him rest of season. Super happy for him if that is the case.

This roster is better than last year's roster. If you miss 3s and still win, that means you're doing something right. Has nothing to do with cupcakes, LIU shot 3s like a quality team would have. They just lacked the size inside to deal with Cliff.

I don't know how else to explain it, but RU actually played better today than they did vs Seton Hall. They just made more 3s last Saturday night vs today. If they shoot 30% from 3 today, it's a 30+ point game.
All due respect Hawk you’ve been beating this drum and most don’t see it. We can’t shoot, threes or free throws (300+ teams are better). We can’t rebound. Our points per possession is bad. I mean bad. Our guards lost about 6” per in height. We’ve replaced one of UConn’s Leading scorers and another power six guard with one from the A10 and one from Marist. Palm moved up the depth chart on this team. We STILL one because LIU was a terrible 1-8 squad. These poor fundamentals aren’t going to cut it in B1G play against IL, IN, WI, PUR, MI St, Iowa etc. I’m just not buying that this team is better than last year. Seton Hall played pretty poor last week. The fact that we played better and we’re only up 7 late today is scary. Blown out by IL and Wake scary. Next week it’s going to get real. Listen I hope you can tell me to eat crow by March but it’s not adding up that this team is better.

All due respect Hawk you’ve been beating this drum and most don’t see it. We can’t shoot, threes or free throws (300+ teams are better). We can’t rebound. Our points per possession is bad. I mean bad. Our guards lost about 6” per in height. We’ve replaced one of UConn’s Leading scorers and another power six guard with one from the A10 and one from Marist. Palm moved up the depth chart on this team. We STILL one because LIU was a terrible 1-8 squad. These poor fundamentals aren’t going to cut it in B1G play against IL, IN, WI, PUR, MI St, Iowa etc. I’m just not buying that this team is better than last year. Seton Hall played pretty poor last week. The fact that we played better and we’re only up 7 late today is scary. Blown out by IL and Wake scary. Next week it’s going to get real. Listen I hope you can tell me to eat crow by March but it’s not adding up that this team is better.
Palm "moved up the depth chart" because J Williams can't play (yet) and Mag was sat until last Saturday. Now Mag is back and, even with Austin out the last 2 games, SOMEONE had to get those minutes (regardless of position), right? We saw Oskar's minutes reduced today. When Austin gets back out there, and Jeremiah becomes eligible, Oskar is likely back to "emergency/mopup" duty. Only 3 minutes today despite a solid 9 minutes against Seton Hall. Now....probably got screwed a few minutes over the final 7-8 when we didn't score for 5 minutes, or whatever it was, and they cut the lead to 7.

This roster is not better than last year's roster - FULL STOP! We don't have new players performing better than Caleb, Paul and Spencer from last year. We have some potential, but as of today no way this roster better than last year.

This roster is not better than last year's roster - FULL STOP! We don't have new players performing better than Caleb, Paul and Spencer from last year. We have some potential, but as of today no way this roster better than last year.
My first reaction was: That's true. My second reaction was: I guess it depends on which part of the season we watch.

1. Mag is MVP
2. Mag has a great 3 point stroke and should take more shots than anyone besides Hyatt
3. Hyatt is by far our best offensive option
4. How could we be this bad from stripe?
5. Oskar should never play again unless it’s garbage time
6. Love the feed from Hyatt to Cliff. Need more of that
7. Griffith has to take better shots and learn how to hit free throws. Not sure how he can’t dominate a game like this

To be honest I don’t think anyone should base any thoughts on our players or overall season vs. a team like LIU lol.

And Hyatt is our best offensive option for maybe 33% of our games - he’s too inconsistent.

Cliff was our best offensive option and player yesterday. I do agree that Hyatt has improved. He still does some boneheaded things on occasion but his ball distribution is better. His defense is adequate at the 4 when surrounded by Cliff and Mag.

To be honest I don’t think anyone should base any thoughts on our players or overall season vs. a team like LIU lol.

And Hyatt is our best offensive option for maybe 33% of our games - he’s too inconsistent.

Agreed about LIU. I hate everything about playing that game. When will Pike learn? Our fans keeps talking about how much worse we would’ve played against better teams but I think it’s just hard to prep and stay focused against the 300 types. Our historical record against the 200 types isn’t worse - it might be better. The losses I remember are the Lafayette and Fordham types (don’t get me started on scheduling road games against 300s no less). So we may as well play the slightly better teams.

Here's my thought. Hyatt has upped his game this year. Not as out of control as he has been. Been a willing passer and rebounding numbers are coming along. Is streaky from 3 but is at 35 percent right now. Could definitely be closer to 40 by the end of the year.
For every "hot stretch" Hyatt has vs Kenpom 200+, we will be punished with poor shot selection & lost possessions when he tries to do too much in future conference games.

Reactions: Saint Puppy
Palmquist has no game outside of having a decent three point shot. He may be the worst rebounder per inch than any college player ever. He gives up way more points and turnovers than he scores. Offenses consistently go right to whoever he is covering
100% correct. I've never seen a poorer rebounder than Palmquist.

Reactions: mugrat86
C) what happens if RU plays good defense AND makes 3s......and then improve on the FT shooting?
What if the lineup that plays the best defense isn't a good FT or 3 point shooting unit.

PG, PG, A will, Mag, Cliff not going to be a good FT or 3 point shooting team.

What if the lineup that plays the best defense isn't a good FT or 3 point shooting unit.

PG, PG, A will, Mag, Cliff not going to be a good FT or 3 point shooting team.
The end of game line up in a close game will always include either Simpson or Noah. They will be first option on inbounds. Other than that - I doubt Pike will think that much about it.

Reactions: Wagram97
The end of game line up in a close game will always include either Simpson or Noah. They will be first option on inbounds. Other than that - I doubt Pike will think that much about it.
He’s definitely thinking about free throws. Jokingly said he needs to have a talk who is responsible for it. It must be him.

He’s definitely thinking about free throws. Jokingly said he needs to have a talk who is responsible for it. It must be him.
He is. It’s definitely a concern, but this at least isn’t the same level of concern that it was in the the early Pike years when we didn’t have guards who could hit free throws to close out games.

Palmquist has no game outside of having a decent three point shot. He may be the worst rebounder per inch than any college player ever. He gives up way more points and turnovers than he scores. Offenses consistently go right to whoever he is covering
The fact is that Oskar’s numbers per 40 minutes on rebounds, turnovers and steals are significantly better than Gavin’s. His assist numbers are only slightly off. His overall, three-point and free-throw percentages are all better than Gavin’s at this point.

I’m not saying that he should play in front of Gavin. But the fact is that despite their respective potential, Oskar’s actual current production is not that bad considering who he is splitting time with.

Reactions: LOU-RU85
The fact is that Oskar’s numbers per 40 minutes on rebounds, turnovers and steals are significantly better than Gavin’s. His assist numbers are only slightly off. His overall, three-point and free-throw percentages are all better than Gavin’s at this point.

I’m not saying that he should play in front of Gavin. But the fact is that despite their respective potential, Oskar’s actual current production is not that bad considering who he is splitting time with.
You are absolutely high if you think Oskar should be playing over Gavin. Has Oskar ever even attempted to drive to the basket?

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
You’re absolutely high, or illiterate, if you think I said that.
Actually, it’s a much less outrageous thought now than it would have been two months ago. GG has shown occasional flashes but can’t play D or hit FTs. Oskar a better defender.

I did suggest pre-season that Hyatt would keep his starting position over GG at least until Big10 play but now it looks like GG won’t start at all this year

Actually, it’s a much less outrageous thought now than it would have been two months ago. GG has shown occasional flashes but can’t play D or hit FTs. Oskar a better defender.

I did suggest pre-season that Hyatt would keep his starting position over GG at least until Big10 play but now it looks like GG won’t start at all this year
It’s not uncommon for a new and talented player to get burned on defense too much when they start. I hope GG catches up in that area sooner rather than later.

The foul shooting thing is weird. Both he and JD almost always seem to miss the same way – – off the back of the rim. That consistency even in missing tells me that their issues at the FT line can be resolved.

Let’s hope you are right. I don’t think GG’s defense will improve anytime soon, but hopefully his scoring will more than make up for it.

So far it has not.

Thanks for clarifying that’s why I asked.
That said let me get to the point, we agree on Mag. We agree about tournament possibilities last year.
Where we depart is on number 5 of your 7 points, combined with your point made or not made about his rebounding, which basically is a non provable point based on the parameters you use. Your comments as stated were unnecessarily harsh. Especially as a so called Fan. As well as someone who claims to support Pike, who recruited the player, lured him back and made him a captain. I hope you see how you contradict yourself here.
Here is a prediction! Oscar will have games this year that will cause you to eat crow 🐦‍⬛.
As many experts had to do last year on their player assessments of Cam.
Personally I have not seen great improvements in Oskar’s game thus far. Nice guy to have on the bench and insert to give others a rest. At his height and experience he should be more of a factor in rebounding. Getting rebounds and playing defense is all about attitude . Athleticism helps but Oskar has to show more going forward especially on the boards.

Still maintain that Gavin though talented and athletic lacks the physical strength to bang inside . Still looks skinny… a year from now with proper nutrition and weight room he becomes very dangerous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT