ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone making the trip to see RU at USC in October?

Anyone know anything about the Courtyard Santa Monica at 425 Colorado Ave? Looks like there is public transit across the street...
I have stayed there. It is a typical Marriott courtyard hotel. Clean, basic rooms good service. The restaurant there isn't much to speak of but Santa Monica is restaurant heaven so that is not a problem.

The E line of LA metro rail is across the street and goes to downtown LA and USC (coliseum).

Good relatively economical choice if you don't want a fancy hotel or don't plan on spending much time there.

I have stayed there. It is a typical Marriott courtyard hotel. Clean, basic rooms good service. The restaurant there isn't much to speak of but Santa Monica is restaurant heaven so that is not a problem.

The E line of LA metro rail is across the street and goes to downtown LA and USC (coliseum).

Good relatively economical choice if you don't want a fancy hotel or don't plan on spending much time there.
Great, thank you, I am going to book it.

We will be taking the same E line from Santa Monica to the RU game at the Coliseum.

OK. Cancelled my Koreatown reservation and just booked us into the Santa Monica Hilton.

looking at flights next
staying with my sister and I'll use this to spend time with family too

have never seen a game in the coliseum so should be fun

An important note for anyone staying at the Marriott Courtyard Santa Monica. I learned this the hard way. The parking entrance is not at the front of the hotel (Colorado) and is not well marked. It is on 5th street on the side of the hotel. FYI

If people are going to be staying in Santa Monica ... the hidden gem bar/restaurant in the area is Ye Olde King's Head british pub. It's right in the middle of everything and it was the inspiration for the Regal Beagle in the show Three's Company (45 years ago).

o.jpg

I will be renting a car when we are out there for the game. Does anyone know about the parking situation at the stadium. Do you need a parking pass? What is the tailgating scene?

If people are going to be staying in Santa Monica ... the hidden gem bar/restaurant in the area is Ye Olde King's Head british pub. It's right in the middle of everything and it was the inspiration for the Regal Beagle in the show Three's Company (45 years ago).

o.jpg
Thanks
We will visit this place the night before the game.

Reactions: AdventureHasAName
I will be renting a car when we are out there for the game. Does anyone know about the parking situation at the stadium. Do you need a parking pass? What is the tailgating scene?
Been to a few games at the Coliseum. We basically "tailgated" in and around the campus buildings. So can't get your car in there, but they allow folks to post up and pre-game. This was 8-9 years ago though, so may have changed.

Reactions: cicero grimes
A blue bandanna instead. 😜
He is out now but his Dad was one of the leaders that actually worked to bring both "colors" together in the late 90's when the other much nastier gangs started coming into town.
Wife and I have been told that once they know our relation to his Dad- my BIL, we get a free pass from both and are untouchable.

Not sure I want to ever test it though.

He is out now but his Dad was one of the leaders that actually worked to bring both "colors" together in the late 90's when the other much nastier gangs started coming into town.
Wife and I have been told that once they know our relation to his Dad- my BIL, we get a free pass from both and are untouchable.

Not sure I want to ever test it though.

I'm working on my Jamaican accent so I can pass as your lovely bride if necessary!

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Been there many times. Did not know the Regal Beagle angle though!
Yes, as the story goes (or at least went 15 years ago) ... the Regal Beagle was modeled after a combination of two Santa Monica bars ... Chez Jay and Ye Olde King's Head. Supposedly, both were popular spots with show writers. I've been in both many times in my life (I had lunch at Ye Olde King's Head almost every Sunday for two years when I lived in the area) and the restaurant area of Ye Olde King's Head (in 2005) was a fairly close resemblence to the set that was used on the TV show in the late 70s. From the photos on their website, they've renovated the restaurant portion and it looks nicer than it did 15 years ago. The bar side of the building still looks exactly like the dive (a good dive) it was back then.

All said, the fish and chips were great.

Venice Beach is one beach town south of Santa Monica. Can I take @RUScrew85 down there to check out the sights? Quite the lively scene down there. Used to be a muscle beach, now there is naked female fighting.

I’m currently living there during the week for a few months for work. I walk through there twice a day. Can’t believe I missed it but not surprised. She’s been quite wound up when I’ve seen her.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
I’m currently living there during the week for a few months for work. I walk through there twice a day. Can’t believe I missed it but not surprised. She’s been quite wound up when I’ve seen her.
She looks like she is in pretty good shaped. Watched it with the Mrs, and she said we are NOT going to Venice Beach if we take the trip. LOL.

She looks like she is in pretty good shaped. Watched it with the Mrs, and she said we are NOT going to Venice Beach if we take the trip. LOL.
That is just the actual "beach" you are looking at. Venice Beach is actually a very popular neighborhood in LA off the beach, especially for young people. It is home for many good restaurants, including two Italian restaurants I have visited in the last month.

If you want to have fun and can spend a bit, the Lowes santa Monica or even better and more $, Shutters at the beach are great choices. Albeit a 45 minute drive from the stadium
In Santa Monica, Shutters and Hotel Casa Del Mar are both great as is the Viceroy. For those seeking more budget conscience pricing, consider Courtyard, Hampton Inn, and Shore Hotel.

In Santa Monica, Shutters and Hotel Casa Del Mar are both great as is the Viceroy. For those seeking more budget conscience pricing, consider Courtyard, Hampton Inn, and Shore Hotel.
Hotel Casa Del Mar has a really nice bar ... but the drinks are pricey!

That is just the actual "beach" you are looking at. Venice Beach is actually a very popular neighborhood in LA off the beach, especially for young people. It is home for many good restaurants, including two Italian restaurants I have visited in the last month.
What restaurants do you recommend? Abbot Kinney and Rose Ave areas definitely seem nice. I tried Board and Brew and loved it. First time in a self service brew pub and sushi was excellent.

What restaurants do you recommend? Abbot Kinney and Rose Ave areas definitely seem nice. I tried Board and Brew and loved it. First time in a self service brew pub and sushi was excellent.
Not exactly "nice" restaurants, but I would check out the Venice Whaler at the end of Washington. Food is ok but it's more about the view and the atmosphere.
Right across the street is a little dive bar called Hinano. Still one of my favorite burgers. It's super simple and not fancy, but something about the 50 years of grease on that grill or something.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
Not exactly "nice" restaurants, but I would check out the Venice Whaler at the end of Washington. Food is ok but it's more about the view and the atmosphere.
Right across the street is a little dive bar called Hinano. Still one of my favorite burgers. It's super simple and not fancy, but something about the 50 years of grease on that grill or something.
There are some really good ones in SM. On the pricier side is Water Grill, Blue Plate Oysterette and Misfit Bar. On more moderate side would be Lokl Haus, Urban Skillet and Pita House.

There are some really good ones in SM. On the pricier side is Water Grill, Blue Plate Oysterette and Misfit Bar. On more moderate side would be Lokl Haus, Urban Skillet and Pita House.
Love Water Grill. If you wanna go fancy, Tar & Roses and The Lobster are pretty good too, if my memory serves. Haven't lived there in 7 years, so I'm sure it's changed quite a bit.

Reactions: rucoe89
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT